Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Crossland CC-1 Temperature problems
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC-1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GarethAJones

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 5:05pm
Subject: Crossland CC-1 Temperature problems

I recently got my hands on a CC-1 machine, to replace my dying Gaggia. It works wonderfully, except that the shots I'm pulling are too cold. Even with the PID set at its max of 210, the espresso seem to be coming out tepid at best. I'm looking to find a thermometer to see what the actual discrepancy is in degrees. I've also contacted crossland coffee themselves, I'm just wondering if this is a subject that has come up in discussion here, or if anyone else had the same problem. I wonder if my PID might be miscalibrated.

I did use the search function, but didn't see anything elated to my problem.

thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Crossland CC-1 Temperature problems

I believe others have had this problem, and there are some offset options that may need to be adjusted. Mine works fine, 200 degrees is 200 degrees. I'm assuming since you've had espresso machines in the past you know to warm up your machine 20min or so first. My boiler heats up to 200F in minutes, but the group is still room temp. Usually I pull a blank shot after 20 min, and after that the group is too hot to hold onto to with bare hands (and it heats up your cup).

I would say wait for advisement from the manufacturer before fiddling with any of the P menus.
GarethAJones

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 11:05pm

Yeah, this isn't my first machine. Doing a couple flushes helps a bit, but It's still too cold when I pour. I've had the machine on all day. I figure its the "p" menus. I have no diea how to adjust them though.
Stangdriverdoug

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 6:25am

There is a temperature offset setting.... I think it's P9 in the menu. My CC1's temperature seems fine... So I would figure out a way to take  a good temp measurement and go from there. If the shot seems like warm then there is something definitely wrong.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 9:56am

What did Bill say, sounds like your offsets are either off or not adjusted right for your area (offsets can help with people living in different climates, altitude etc). Kinda like how the Brazen can be adjusted for altitude as that can affect boiling points and temps.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 1:24pm

I think you are on the right track. You need to know what the brew temp really is before making any adjustments.

Thermocouple based devices are more sensitive than thermometers so they are better at sussing out the temp at the brew group. They do tend to be expensive though and many may not want to make that kind of investment. The styrofoam cup method is not great but it is better than just putting the thermometer in the stream of water from the group.

Get a cup and cut it to fit the group where your PF locks in, this will reduce the volume inside the cup and tend to keep things a bit warmer. You may even want to pre warm the cup though how much that will do is something I am not sure of.

Poke the thermometer in the top of the cup so that it is in the stream and will be in the water as the cup fills.
This should get you in the "ballpark" anyway likely within about 10 deg F if you are lucky.

Do contact Crossland with the results and I am sure they will try to help you with the offsets.

I have played a bit with PIDs and installed a few in ovens and espresso machines but when it comes to programming them I am but a babe in the woods. Many people here know much more than I do about that.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 7:15pm

I used to have a CC1 and I had to increase boiler temperature quite a bit to get a decent temp at the brew head. I actually had already bought another machine by the time I found out the brew temperature was low and when I fixed the brew temperature, the CC1 I had made much better shots. I had previously played with the boiler temperature up and down a few degrees but it didn't help. Turned out the reason it didn't help was because my brew head temperature was so low that making a few degrees adjustment left the brew head temperature still way low.

I think I ended up setting P9 to -12. I setting yours to -12 probably not the way to go until you measure the brew head temp.

Here is a thread where it was discussed:
"Re: CC1 owners...what P9 offset value?"?LastView=1403575654&Page=1
GarethAJones

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 12:29pm

When I talked with Crossland coffee, I gave them my model number. Apparently my machine is out of date and will benefit from some upgrades. They weren't clear on whether those upgrades would have any bearing on temp. Even at 210, the temp is way too low. My shots are tasty, yes, but they're also far to light, and completely lack the robustness and nuance of a shot that would be pulled a bit hotter.

Bill at Crossland cautioned against changing my "p" values, but I think I'm going to give it a try anyways, as my espresso is just too disappointing right now.

As far as atmosphere affecting heating, I'm on Vancouver Island and Crossland is in Seattle (as far as I know), so there will be literally no difference. except metric :)
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 12:38pm

GarethAJones Said:

When I talked with Crossland coffee, I gave them my model number. Apparently my machine is out of date and will benefit from some upgrades. They weren't clear on whether those upgrades would have any bearing on temp. Even at 210, the temp is way too low. My shots are tasty, yes, but they're also far to light, and completely lack the robustness and nuance of a shot that would be pulled a bit hotter.

Bill at Crossland cautioned against changing my "p" values, but I think I'm going to give it a try anyways, as my espresso is just too disappointing right now.

As far as atmosphere affecting heating, I'm on Vancouver Island and Crossland is in Seattle (as far as I know), so there will be literally no difference. except metric :)

Posted June 25, 2014 link

It's probably best to follow Bill Crossland's advice. He's the engineer that designed the machine. Altitude doesn't seem to be the problem, since  Victoria B.C. isn't far above sea level. Maybe you have the original version of the CC1, which has since been modified (new version is 1.5). I believe the early models had some kind of electrical interference problem, which might be what you're experiencing. Did Bill say if he is sending you any parts to upgrade your machine?
GarethAJones

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 12:43pm

I do have the original version, and Bill is sending the parts. His caveat to messing with the pid was that I can always reset it, so I'm going to dive right in tommorrow
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC-1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340785980225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+