Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Barista Jams Around the World
WBC logistics question
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > WBC logistics...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
GCArgentina
GCArgentina
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: WBC logistics question

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your message!

Unfortunately I was overwhelmed by the situation, and I couldn`t make a decent performance ... but next year I`ll be more prepared.

The WBC was my worst logistical nightmare, specially as I was traveling from the end of the world. Unfortunately, in some countries the barista profession and specialty coffee are not develped, yet. Consequently there are NO sponsors, and ALL the expenses are on you ... that`s the reason why, some countries don`t have a team with them (or even a coach).

When you`re traveling alone, you can only carry 25kgs in your hand baggage ... and it would have been impossible to pass my argentinian variety of my Bishop`s Crown red hot chili peppers, through the Australian customs (at least mine never arrived to Tokyo).

"Competing" with the best baristas in the world was an honour, I`ve learned a lot about coffee and the barista profession .... next year (if I make it to Copenhagen) I`ll try to do a better job.

At last, I have to thank all the people (specially my fellow baristas) that offered their help, stuff, and prayed for my luggage to appear. There was a wonderful atmosphere backstage, and the crowd was really supportive. THANKS !!!

Best regards,

Federico Cabrera
Argentinian Competitor,
WBC 2007, Tokyo (Japan).-
 View Profile Link to this post
WilsonHines
WilsonHines
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema 2 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos Electric
Drip: Saeco Venus
Roaster: Intelli, Crema Roaster...
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007, 7:39am

Federico, thanks for your input.  

I really appreciate, and didn't expect, the feedback from the WBC '07 participants.  I almost feel it is much like having a conversation with "rock stars."  The amount of knowledge and experience you guys have is incredible and I hope I can learn from that.

Thanks,

---------------------
Wilson Hines
Mt. Olive, NC
http://wilsonhines.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilsonhines/
Faema S87 2 Group
Mazzer Mini
Espresso Craft Tamper
Bodum Press
KitchenAid Pro Line Grinder
Saeco Venus
Intelli, CCC, Crema Roasters (Cary, NC)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GCArgentina
GCArgentina
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:24am

Wilson,

The only "rock star" here is Carl ... I`m just a southamerican beekeeper that make it to the WBC !!!

I`m a professional barista in my country (where specialty cofffee and the barista profession are not developed, yet); but if I compare the training, preparation, and knowledge of the rest of the competitors with mine, I`m just a home barista (I`ve been a barista for 1 year only).

Fortunately, I was able to learn a lot from my fellow baristas, and I`ll be better prepared for Copenhagen (or a least more trained).

Best regards,
Federico
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > WBC logistics...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.168431997299)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+