Espresso: Barista Jams Around the World
Cindy Chang Appointed Executive Director of the WBC
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > Cindy Chang...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 5:00am
Subject: Cindy Chang Appointed Executive Director of the WBC

LONDON (April 14, 2009) – After an extensive six-month worldwide search and interview process, Ms. Cynthia Chang has been appointed to the position of Executive Director for the World Barista Championship (WBC).

Ms. Chang volunteered to serve the WBC and United States Barista Championship (USBC) in 2003 and has since served on the Specialty Coffee Association of America’s USBC Committee, as a Regional Coordinator for the WBC, and recently as the Chairperson of the Board of Directors for the World Barista Championship.

In her role as Executive Director, Ms. Chang will serve as a leader, visionary, ambassador and manager for the rapidly growing organization with the responsibility of carrying out WBC objectives, while managing the needs and expectations of a diverse group of international volunteers, sponsors and competitors. The position reports directly to the organization’s Board of Directors.

Ms. Chang has been employed in the specialty coffee industry for her entire career, beginning at a young age by working directly for the founders of Caribou Coffee in Minneapolis, Minnesota. For the past 11 years, Ms. Chang worked for Counter Culture Coffee of Durham, NC, where she most recently held the position of Director of Development. At Counter Culture, her responsibilities included the oversight of special programs, including the company’s highly visible collaboration with the Culinary Institute of America.

The World Barista Championship is the world’s premier coffee competition, drawing competitors from more than 50 nations to serve espresso, cappuccinos and original signature drinks to a panel of judges. The 10th annual World Barista Championship will be held 16-19 April 2009 in Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

About World Barista Championship UK Ltd.

World Barista Championship UK Ltd is a nonprofit organization jointly owned by the Specialty Coffee Association of America and Speciality Coffee Association of Europe. The first WBC competition took place in Monte Carlo in October 2000 and has since held annual competitions Miami, Oslo, Boston, Trieste, Seattle, Berne, Tokyo and Copenhagen. The organization’s next event will be held at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A. on April 16-19, 2009 in conjunction with the 2009 Specialty Coffee Association of America Symposium and Exposition. For more information, please visit http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 5:09am
Subject: Re: Cindy Chang Appointed Executive Director of the WBC

I like Cindy a lot and think she's a great facilitator for the WBC, and big congratulations are due for this appointment.

I have to temper that though, because while I'm very happy for Cindy, I do have some worries: the Executive Director role requires one to be the "face" of the WBC, to be the main money raiser, to court new ad revenue, and to, well, schmooze, amongst other duties. These may be challenges for Cindy, but I'm probably wrong.

Still, I can't help but think that the ED of the WBC, ideally, would be a past champion / finalist / professional barista (or trainer or what have you) who has moved on to successful marketing, public speaking, media relations and revenue raising. There's only one I can really think of, but he was probably too much of a wildcard for the WBC and probably not interested in the role: Paul Bassett. He, along with his ex wife and team, were responsible for BMW involvement in the Aussie espresso scene; he had a great 13 episode television series on Australian TV, he markets for Sunbeam Australia, he opened the Paul Bassett cafes in Japan and more.

Another guy who I thought would be good for the role (and I know he had an interest in the ED position) was Australian George Sabados. He has some great marketing experience, public speaking, coached people to competition championships, judged, etc.

I'm really wishing Cindy the best of luck and success in this new role she has. It's a road of sorts. She's going to have to work hard to get some things done, like for eg, really get the promotion across that Nuova Simonelli is a killer machine and worthy of the WBC official status (so far, NS's buzz isn't the buzz that LM seemed to enjoy with the pro community). She's going to have to pursue more revenue streams. She's going to have to do much more television and media work. She's going to have to actively court media sources to promote the WBC.

I wish her the best of luck. The WBC had a nice cash infusion last summer with all the new sponsorships, but they need to continue the good revenue streams, and really need to bring the WBC a bit more into the mainstream, IMO of course.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Dasein

Espresso: Synesso 3 grp
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Kony E,...
Vac Pot: Yama & Hario etc...
Drip: Clover 1s, Press Pots, Hario...
Roaster: Probat L12, Probatino,...
Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 9:12am

MarkPrince Said:

I wish her the best of luck. The WBC had a nice cash infusion last summer with all the new sponsorships, but they need to continue the good revenue streams, and really need to bring the WBC a bit more into the mainstream, IMO of course.

Mark

Posted April 14, 2009 link

I wont bust your nuts on this one Mark, but I would argue that with the WBC so accessible this year (essentially $2000 and a couple of 8.5 hour plane trips accessible) that the internet's preeminent coffee website should be there covering and promoting it.   That and the fact that you'd also get SCAA at the same event (the biggest conference of the coffee calendar) screams to me that coffeegeek should be there -- otherwise why have, and certainly why publish, an opinion on any of this?

R.
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 2:40pm

In order to keep this thread about Cindy on topic, I'll post my response in another thread on the forum.

"CoffeeGeek not attending or covering SCAA for first time in eight years"

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > Cindy Chang...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20321393013)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+