Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Paradise Roasters' Espresso Classico?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
roastbear
roastbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 12:40pm
Subject: Re: Paradise Roasters' Espresso Classico?

Just received my first order from Paradise two weeks agao. I ordered through Roaste.com on Sunday eve and the order arrived in San Diego on Thursday. I didn't have quite enough of the Balck cat I'd been grinding left so I suplimented the 4 day old beans. The mix of beans was OK. Something wasn't quite right. What a difference a day makes. Day 5 for the Neuovo beans I'd opened and without changing, grind or temp, pulled a decent shot. Things got much better with 2 more days and a minor tweak to gind and 1 degree of temp. Nice mellow flavors. Chocolate finish. And a hint of the roast. Hence the central Italian roast descriptor they used on Roaste.
After a week of Neuvo I opend a bag of the Classico. It's good, but I didn't get great pulls until I pulled out the new VST triple basket and went for the ristretto. Voila! Very nice crema, sweet and super smooth. I make mostly lattes, but liked this as a cap even more.
I'll buy this again. The Classico was a light roast, and my usual preference, but I liked the Neuvo just as much.
I grind with a Macap 4 steppless and a brew with a Silvia v.3 with a Delta P.I.D. and found both coffees easy to dial in.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 7:29am

I tried it for the first time this weekend.  I use Nuevo often, but this is my first bag of Classico.  I have to say I like it quite a bit!   It's a PITA to dial in, though.  I'd get either way too tight a ristretto or a huge crema cone, over a huge grind range, and that's on the K10.  I don't think I'd enjoy dialing it on a less forgiving grinder.  I did find the sweet spot and decided on the 204F recommended by the roaster, a slightly fast pour (slow at the start, very fast as it accelerates, overall pour time, 20-24 seconds.) I didn't weigh the ratio, but by volume the bottomless crema came near to filling the 2oz demitasse, but after settling, I'd say maybe 1-1.25oz once the crema flattened out a bit.  

The flavor that hit me at this temp/speed was a very mellow cherry-bomb (wait, that sounds wrong...)  It's one of the few beans that brewed, tastes just like it smells.  Both in the bag, and in the cup, there was, to me, a startling wild cherry/maraschino cherry combination.  This tells me the roaster's description of "Northern Italian" is spot on.  I'd bought a bag of Bristot a while back.  They're located in Northern Italy.  As with all import beans, it was abusively stale.  But you can sometimes get an insight as to what the coffee ONCE tasted like that way, and the attack of the cherry was what I perceived that one was once like as well.  Needless to say, I'm delighted to find a fresh bean with that composition.  

And "mellow" was the best way to describe the depressingly too-small shot.  There was little bite, little weight, but it was a full bodied almost syrupy sweet experience.  A definite winner despite the slightly fussy brewing parameters.

Unlike the Nuevo I like it at the recommended temps.  Nuevo picks up two different characters at different temps.  At the suggested 202 it can be disjointed and unsettling as a shot.  At 196-198 it's very pleasant as a shot.  In milk I like the Nuevo at 201-203, though, as the disjointed flavors become bold and interesting in milk.  Classico seems just right in both milk and shots at the 204, to my tastes.  If you're looking for some of the "spice" or "herbs" to take over the cherry, some of the even hotter temps may work.  I for one am thrilled with the cherry shot!
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:58am

I love this blend. I dialed in my pid to 202 at the group and dosed with 19.5 ... I got 2 oz @ 27 seconds. bright is the word here. I got apple and bitter chocolates. Tons of crema. No sourness and I really enjoyed the aftertaste. so much I HAD to repeat!!!
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.172791957855)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+