Espresso: Espresso Blends
Black Pearl espresso from ChrisCoffee
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Black Pearl...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 9:52pm
Subject: Re: Black Pearl espresso from ChrisCoffee

jim_schulman Said:

Artichoke? I'll need to remember that; it sounds so much better than "vegetal."

Posted September 11, 2006 link

Agreed, and it tasted better, too!

jim_schulman Said:

Is the fruit citrus, pit, or berry?

I remember puzzling about that at the time and not being sure. But based on your nice little set of descriptors, I'd say "pit." In one Black Pearl shot I had a tiny hit of delicious peach.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 10:15pm

oooo looking forward to it - Chris is going to send me a pound or two this week to try out.

Gawd, sometimes I love my job! :D

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Perpetual_Buzz
Perpetual_Buzz
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pimped Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: No drip, French Press
Roaster: Whirley Pop/Char-Broil Grill
Posted Tue Sep 12, 2006, 7:16am

I received my sample around Aug. 28th.  

I really enjoyed the "Black Pearl" blend...Some of my thoughts are/were, Extreme Dark Chocolate/Cocoa up front, very smooth shot with the punch of a Sumatra (I'm guessing) in the finish that lingered but in a nice way, medium+ body.  Loads of persistant crema.

Not only did it make a very nice shot, this blend also made a very nice cappuccino and iced latte.  It really cuts through milk well.  I found it to be a very versitile blend, working well in several types of drinks.  I had no problems pulling shots with this blend on my home setup (PID'd Silvia), it was very consistant even at 4 days out of the roaster.

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I still had a bit of this left over this morning (19 days out of the roaster) and it still had wicked crema, nice body, the bite at the finish was toned down, it still had the cocoa, but I found a nice hint of vanilla in the shot that I didn't notice when it was really fresh...ristretto, of course.

Chris

Edit...forgot to mention my pid temp setting was 228.

Everybody needs an addiction.

I'm not addicted to coffee, I just have to have a cup EVERY morning.
 View Profile Link to this post
boby
boby

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Harios, Conas
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Hottop, PID'd Sirocco, ++...
Posted Tue Sep 12, 2006, 1:51pm

Chris sent me the first version ("Sample A") and this last one as well. Here's what I told him on 9/7:

I did receive and cup the coffee over a week ago. In addition I pulled many shots for straight espresso and cappas and brewed it in different ways, as well. I think it's much improved
from the "Sample A" I received previously.

It is very sweet (Brazil?), has a fruity (citrus) tang (Ethiopian?), especially in the finish. It has smooth, rich body, good balance, persistent crema and in general is an excellent blend. In my opinion, the
roast level was spot on. Any darker and it might have lost the fruit and turned ashy.

BobY

BobY
www.coffeecuppers.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Sep 20, 2006, 9:55pm

Hi...I received my Black Pearl 2 days ago...it was in transit 4 days...so I figured it was ready to pull...I refused to look at this thread (as much as I was dying to)...haha)so as not to get influenced....
My first shot...My Mazzer SJ was too tight...after 35 seconds...1/2oz...I was going for 1.5 oz doubles...
dialed back Mr. Mazzer just a touch...the fresh ground smelled slighty of Harar...but not quite blueberry..mnore like dark cherry...I distributed the gring into my bottomless pf using the Weiss(thank you John) technique, a light level tamp, then a 35 lb 2nd tamp....the 2nd pull ...excellent...luck was with me...30 seconds, no blonding 1.5 oz...
the crema was a beautiful chestnut-like brown...not reddish...and non stop...there was no dark ring around my porceline cup, so I figured I was in the temp ballpark...based upon my 2 years with Anita, I'd say around 199-ish...just a guess...
TASTE(S)
My impressions....FWIW...I make no claim as a taste expert...I just enjoy my espresso....
Early in the tasting process I got fruit...that black cherry thing I smelled in the grind, and a touch of some citrusy thing...not sure what...overall Black Pearl seems a bit brighter than say Monkey Blend...but not unpleasantly so...I won't compare BP to blends from our other fine, friendly Pro roasters....
MOUTH FEEL:
Very creamy, medium body...the middle and ending portion of the swallow produced some nice bittersweet dark cocoa...and another nice feature...no tobacco aftertaste!
Later that afternoon, I inserted the triple basket, measured 21 grams, did the WDT....
An awesome looking (at least to me) pour, took  12 secondsbefore the droplets became a stream...30 seconds later, a 1oz triple...it was delicious..obviously a bit more "viscous"...still, I liked the balnce a bit more with my double...YMMV
VISUAL:
The crema lasted a long time...subsequent shots yesterday and today were the same...I've noticed this coffee produces a beautiful puck...it also required, at least for me, a slightly coarser grind than several other blends I purchased and/or roasted....I think this may be what makes it so easy to get a nice looking pour...
I won't hazard a guess as to the components in Chris' blend...not my business, anyway...
Nicely done, Chris.

NOTE....before posting this, I glanced at a few of the earlier posts....didn't see the "cherry thing", did see the "Chestnut brown" reference..that's an easy one... I don't appear to be as far off with the rest of you as I thought I might be, given my ancient taste buds!
Y'all enjoy!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
rstevens
rstevens
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Drip: nope- French press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006, 5:37pm

So far I have gone through 2 pounds of Black Pearl and I really enjoy it.  Just to expand my horizon of espresso's I ordered a pound of Black Cat which is a favorite of many folks here.  Although I do appreciate the differences and the complexity of the Cat I find my taste more to the Black Pearl.  The Black Cat is a much darker roast and does not seem as forgiving as the BP.  I sense much more chocolate and caramel flavors with Chris's blend.  I am still quite new to espresso so I am not yet able to articulate the flavors as many of the more experienced members here...but practice makes perfect.  Lucky for me Chris is just around  the corner so no delays and costs for shipping :)  

-Rob
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Fri Sep 22, 2006, 5:43am

I like a lighter roast for espresso and am reluctant to try anything with the word black in the name, makes me think of Char$. Based on the postings I'll try it. I was on the phone earlier this week with Chris and they offered me BP and did state it wasn't too dark. AND they will be selling green in the future. SM look out. They were sooo nice on the phone and gave me a deal on the Rocky.

Marvin
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:09am

andys Said:

Black Pearl seemed rather "high-toned," rather than rich or earthy. This was refreshing, and probably pretty difficult to pull off.

Some of the flavors I tasted were almond, fruit, bitter chocolate and, believe it or not, artichoke!

Sounds a lot like Sidamo, except for the artichoke. The last Sidamo I got reminded me of a bag of tropical trail mix. By most accounts it was a good year for the origin.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 5:52pm

I got a sample today, apparently four or five days past roasting, and have pulled four singles.

It's a very "workable" blend, changing smoothly by temperature and shot time/volume (i.e 35 second ristrettos to 25 second normales). Cooler, larger, briefer shots have a discrete amount of ctirus and a buttery/light body. The aftertaste has a creamy alkalinity that is a bit remiscent of artichoke (Andy nailed it). As the shots get shorter and hotter, a Bourbon almond with cocoa takes over, and the fruit goes to a subdued sour cherry.

Overall, this is a very "classic cup" Bourbon dominated shot. This is a hard taste profile to pull off; since the high grown coffees needed usually have an overwhelming citrus flavor. Rocket Roaster's Classic blend is in the same vein, and has more exuberant fruit. The Black Pearl is creamier and more understated on the acidity.

If you're looking for espresso that has the same flavor as those great brewed cups of coffee you remember from the past, packed into the little cup, this is the one.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 7:26pm

Hey Jim...SURE, Andy got the artichoke, but I nailed the cherry...though not a sour one!...haha

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Black Pearl...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29229593277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+