Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Good beans in Santa Clarita?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Good beans in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sassyj9

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delonghi Magnifica 3400
Posted Sun Aug 8, 2010, 9:24pm
Subject: Good beans in Santa Clarita?

I am brand new to the espresso world (awaiting my machine in the mail!), and I have no idea what I'm going to like.  I'm in the Santa Clarita area (near Magic Mountain, for those of you that need a landmark), and I'd love to find a place where I can buy beans in small amounts, so I can try different things.  I think the Whole Foods near me has a roaster, so I was going to try them, but I'd love some input.

I have the list from HomeBarista.com, but I didn't see anything in my immediate area.  Any suggestions, besides buying on-line?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Aug 8, 2010, 10:35pm
Subject: Re: Good beans in Santa Clarita?

click here
and
click here

Not sure, but hope this helps.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sassyj9

Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010, 1:31pm

Thanks, that's a start!
chrisbruin

Espresso: Astoria Compact CKXE,...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDUA, la...
Drip: teavana pot, french press
Roaster: caffe rosto, popcorn popper,...
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2010, 5:39pm

I live in Granada Hills not real close but not overly far from you - there are a couple of roasters in the valley and you can try Roaste to check out the vivace, ecco and klatch offereings with no shipping......I wasnt overly impressed with the roasted beans at the whole foods in Northridge but I would be willing to give them another shot so that might be a quick offset option for you.......
sassyj9

Posted Tue Aug 10, 2010, 9:23am

Which roasters in the Valley do you suggest I try?  Also, there are a lot of Klatch varieties on Roaste.  Do you have a favorite?  I'm very new to this and have no idea what I'll like.  I wish I could get 1/4 lb. of a bunch of kinds, to try them, but most only come in 1lb minimum.  Thanks for your help!
chrisbruin

Espresso: Astoria Compact CKXE,...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDUA, la...
Drip: teavana pot, french press
Roaster: caffe rosto, popcorn popper,...
Posted Tue Aug 10, 2010, 12:46pm

Supreme Bean     http://www.thesupremebean.com/
Coffee Roaster in Sherman Oaks
Gelato Cafe in Toluca Lake/NoHo has fresh Ecco - call ahead to make sure they some to sell
Intelligentsia is in Pasadena now and in Silverlake - so black cat
Whole Foods Northridge - roasts their own
Whole Foods on Riverside in Sherman Oaks has Graffeo (call ahead to see when they get it fresh)

Roaste -

Klatch Belle is all I have tried so far but I intend to try several more Klatch varieties.
Vivace Dolce and Vita

So far I really like the Vivace Dolce and Ecco Espresso
The Graffeo was interesting - very smoky to me

I got a lb of black cat this morning from Intelligentsia in Pasadena so will play with that tonight

I know from reading here (and the recommendations I got) people would recommend trying Vivace, Ecco, Intelligentsia Black Cat and Graffeo.

I suggest trying them all to see what you like and the difference
sassyj9

Posted Sat Aug 14, 2010, 8:38am

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I'm going to hit up Coffee Roaster in Sherman Oaks today.  When I'm done with whatever I buy there, I'll go ahead and order the others you recommend on-line.  I bought a couple things from Whole Foods yesterday (the one out here roasts their own), and one is okay.  The decaf I bought is awful and tastes burnt.  Don't like that at all!
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Sat Aug 14, 2010, 11:59pm

sassyj9 Said:

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I'm going to hit up Coffee Roaster in Sherman Oaks today.  When I'm done with whatever I buy there, I'll go ahead and order the others you recommend on-line.  I bought a couple things from Whole Foods yesterday (the one out here roasts their own), and one is okay.  The decaf I bought is awful and tastes burnt.  Don't like that at all!

Posted August 14, 2010 link

I have checked out whole foods beans a couple of time.  Then, I smell them, and nothing there smelled very good to me, so I passed.

I've heard good things about Coffee Roaster, but have not tried it.

Randy
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Good beans in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.212656974792)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+