Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Best Mail-Order Value For Thick Chocolatey Espresso Blend?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best Mail-Order...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:54am
Subject: Re: Best Mail-Order Value For Thick Chocolatey Espresso Blend?

Yeah, you meant Chris, Jason...but point taken - keep that wine in your cellar (and beer in your fridge and scotch et al in your cupboard) rotating...ha!

as for substituting caffeine for alcohol...don't worry, it'll rebalance after a while. :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 11:49am

Yeah, ooops . . . not enough coffee this morning, and too much wine last night?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
ccolton
ccolton
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le 'lit PL53
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 6:36am

Jason and Ron,  You guys are funny!

And for the record, happy hour yesterday!

But, since this is a thread about coffees, specifically, the OP asked for chocolate overtones, Jim's beans at 1st line are pretty good.  He sells two, I believe, and one is darker and has some chocolate flavor and is very good.

I actually prefer his lighter roast, no chocolate at all, but like you both have been telling me, there are so many coffee flavors it boggles the mind.  The lighter roast is smooth and crisp with A LOT of caffeine!

The price of the coffee is very good, around $10/lb. but the shipping is also $10.  So, you need to buy more than a pound to get a really good price.  Or, if you live close enough, Jason, that counts you out, you can pick it up.  I have friends north of 1st line so the trip is easy for me.

Chris
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:40am

I have not tried Jim's coffees.  Oh, yeah...my profile doesn't say it, but I'm in Houston...so, shipping from them would be a must.  I guess $10 isn't too steep in my opinion (especially if it's through anyone other than UPS), since when I order from Klatch it's about $10 (USPS Priority mail) for about 5 pounds - I typically get 4 12-oz bags of WBC and 2 12-oz bags of FTO house decaf (still don't know why Wayne doesn't like the FTO house there?).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 7:31pm

Coming down with a cold and nothing taste good even my Deep Cello. Guess I'll drink down some Night Quill and head off to bed, may even call out sick from work tomorrow.......hehehe

Gery Bastiani
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:37am

ccolton Said:

I received my order of samples from Deep Cello - tried the decaf last night and it is incredible.

Posted February 14, 2012 link

+1 to that, though I like Justin's Deep Cello Nostromo even more for espresso. I think his Black Ties are at their terrific best for pour-over.  Also if you're called upon to make milk drinks, Nostromo is the single best blend I've ever encountered.

If you're searching for superb decaf, try also Water Avenue's El Toro blend, which to me is more about toffee/nut/vanilla (beautifully selected and roasted, sophisticated, balanced and delicious) than the heavy chocolate of this OP, but sometimes you want a change if style.  If you get some, to my taste go for a very fine grind and 15g dose, pull a little longer than usual at around 201F.
ccolton
ccolton

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 7:37am

Hi Ron,

I corresponded with Jim yesterday.  Hi coffees are:  Light one is MEDIUM and dark one is MID-MORNING.  

emradguy Said:

I have not tried Jim's coffees.  Oh, yeah...my profile doesn't say it, but I'm in Houston...so, shipping from them would be a must.  I guess $10 isn't too steep in my opinion .

Posted February 21, 2012 link

I am planning to buy more - it really is good coffee.

Chris
ccolton
ccolton

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 7:38am

Hi Gery,

gbastiani1952 Said:

Coming down with a cold and nothing taste good even my Deep Cello. Guess I'll drink down some Night Quill and head off to bed, may even call out sick from work tomorrow.......hehehe

Sorry to hear that - have a great day off!
ccolton
ccolton

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 7:42am

Hi Tony,

TonyVan Said:

+1 to that, though I like Justin's Deep Cello Nostromo even more for espresso. I think his Black Ties are at their terrific best for pour-over.  Also if you're called upon to make milk drinks, Nostromo is the single best blend I've ever encountered.

Posted February 22, 2012 link

I have Nostromo in the freezer and, yes, I admit it, I only drink espresso with some form or milk!

TonyVan Said:

+If you're searching for superb decaf, try also Water Avenue's El Toro blend, which to me is more about toffee/nut/vanilla (beautifully selected and roasted, sophisticated, balanced and delicious) than the heavy chocolate of this OP, but sometimes you want a change if style.  If you get some, to my taste go for a very fine grind and 15g dose, pull a little longer than usual at around 201F.

Posted February 22, 2012 link

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look into it!

Chris
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 9:17pm

emradguy Said:

I have not tried Jim's coffees.  Oh, yeah...my profile doesn't say it, but I'm in Houston...so, shipping from them would be a must.  I guess $10 isn't too steep in my opinion (especially if it's through anyone other than UPS), since when I order from Klatch it's about $10 (USPS Priority mail) for about 5 pounds - I typically get 4 12-oz bags of WBC and 2 12-oz bags of FTO house decaf (still don't know why Wayne doesn't like the FTO house there?).

Why not get that order at roaste you will get free shipping at least and if you don't mind signing up for a subscription to that order and canceling it you take ten percent off.

Less water, more grounds.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best Mail-Order...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329199075699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+