Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Trouble Freezing Beans
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Trouble Freezing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
mariog7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:45am
Subject: Trouble Freezing Beans

Hello, all.  I am having trouble freezing beans.  No matter what I do, they go bad and taste disgusting and undrinkable.   I tried two procedures - mason jar and also putting an unopened, sealed 12 oz bag in a separate freezer bag.   I always let thaw overnight, but no matter what, they go bad.  

Any ideas?  Am I not getting enough air out?   Also, I am using a separate chest freezer in my basement which pretty mush stays closed.  Perhaps is there frost?

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 5:28am
Subject: Re: Trouble Freezing Beans

I'm at a loss.  I use gladware containers and have no issues.  I store them in a freezer with nothing else in there but the beans.  What beans do you have?  Maybe it's just the beans that do not freeze well??   I dunno.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 11:10am

I understand that some people's pallet can detect "frozen taste" even when it is done well.  I can't unless it is freezer burned. To test this, I would defrost and clean out my freezer, get a freezer thermometer to make sure it is working well. Then put a shot's worth of one fresh batch of beans in a bunch of different containers.  I have been using the ziplocs bags you can pump the air out off.  Then taste the fresh unfrozen beans and note the flavor and after a set time in the freezer pull all the frozen shots at the same time and see if they all taste bad to you.  If your freezer is working and the beans all taste bad then you can taste the "frozen" and should not freeze beans. If you have a clear winner then you can share your research.
Good luck,

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cwatson01

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 11:12am

Try not freezing them. But store them in a cool, dark place in a one way vented bag.

When you freeze the beans, you add moisture to them. There are of course more in depth answers, but freezing coffee beans is not the best way to store them.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 11:36am

cwatson01 Said:

Try not freezing them. But store them in a cool, dark place in a one way vented bag.

When you freeze the beans, you add moisture to them. There are of course more in depth answers, but freezing coffee beans is not the best way to store them.

Posted January 22, 2012 link

We're not speaking of "storing" beans, rather freezing gives folks the option of ordering 5-10lbs at a time, thus saving shipping costs.
IMO when done properly, freezing barely (if at all) degrades the quality. YMMV/

edited for typos.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:21am

cwatson01 Said:

Posted January 22, 2012 link

Uh, no . . . .

There is a wonderful device on this website called a "search engine."  There is also something called "Google," and it has several competitors . . . within milliseconds, you too could have found things like

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cwatson01

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 1:41pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Uh, no . . . .

There is a wonderful device on this website called a "search engine."  There is also something called "Google," and it has several competitors . . . within milliseconds, you too could have found things like...

Cheers,
Jason

Posted January 23, 2012 link

Okay, Jason. Since you took all that time and effort to show what a seach engine can find, why don't you take the time and answer the friggin question yourself?

Search engines are a hit or miss. You get a lot of different websites, with a lot of different information, written by a lot of different people. Even here on coffeegeek, or homebarista, you get A LOT of different opinions.

But the fact is, there are more cons than there are pros when it comes to freezing coffee.
And if you DO freeze coffee, freeze it as whole bean, only ONCE(don't dethaw & refreeze), for no more than a week or so, and when you take it out, give it an hour or so before you brew any. And even then, you will notice a difference in taste than you would have if you'd of just bought a smaller portion and stored it properly.
And no matter how you look at it, putting coffee beans in the freezer, for any amount of time, in any quantity, for any reason, is storing them in the freezer.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 2:06pm

cwatson01 Said:

Okay, Jason. Since you took all that time and effort to show what a seach engine can find, why don't you take the time and answer the friggin question yourself?

Temper, temper.  Each and every one of those links I did research myself, and so I believe i did answer the question . . .

cwatson01 Said:

You get a lot of different websites, with a lot of different information, written by a lot of different people. Even here on coffeegeek, or homebarista, you get A LOT of different opinions.

Yes, well, that would be -- and I'm just guessing here -- that human beings as a group are capable of having more than one opinion.  Then again, YMMV.

cwatson01 Said:

But the fact is, there are more cons than there are pros when it comes to freezing coffee.

You see?  And right here is an example of different opinions!  I would strongly disagree with your comment that "the fact is . . . " I don't know about you, but I know of NO scientific, double-blind study published in a peer-reviewed journal that indisputably states, as fact, that "there are more cons . . . "  Certainly this statement runs counter the the majority of the statements posted both here and on HB regarding freezing, albeit -- admittedly -- these are merely anecdotal to be sure and represent an individual's personal experience with freezing, rather than any scientific, double-blind study published in a peer-reviewed journal, etc., etc.    

cwatson01 Said:

And if you DO freeze coffee, freeze it as whole bean, only ONCE(don't dethaw & refreeze), for no more than a week or so, and when you take it out, give it an hour or so before you brew any.

I presume here -- and I could be wrong; if so, forgive me -- you haven't looked at any of the links I took the time and effort to provide you with.  If you had, you would know that all of this has already been well discussed in many of those discussions.

cwatson01 Said:

And even then, you will notice a difference in taste than you would have if you'd of just bought a smaller portion and stored it properly.

Yes, well -- again -- this is your opinion, rather than fact, and is not supported by the anecdotal (albeit -- admittedly -- not scientifically proven) experience of dozens upon dozens, if not hundreds, of people regularly participating on this, HB, and other coffee sites.

cwatson01 Said:

And no matter how you look at it, putting coffee beans in the freezer, for any amount of time, in any quantity, for any reason, is storing them in the freezer.

Is this like saying, "No matter where you go, there you are"???

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
OlivO

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco GB/5
Grinder: Mazzer Maj
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 2:28pm

I could never reach a conclusion on this topic, but I had a few thoughts.

1.  Until someone actually performs controlled experiments, we are all in the dark.  The internet is filled with undocumented sources and false, untested claims.  

2.  The oils in coffee do become rancid after awhile like most food oils.  If the reaction that produces this rancidity is slowed by cooler temperatures, then freezing could be beneficial.  Many chemical reactions are heat sensitive, so this is one avenue to pursue.  Whether household freezer temperatures are low enough to slow the reaction down to a significant level is left to experiment.

3.  The heterocyclic compounds in coffee that produce its smells have a volatility that increases with increased temperature.  I rationalize this through the kinetic molecular theory of heat.  My reasoning is the following: the added heat produces more molecular agitation, resulting in more smell compounds being ejected.  Cooler temperature mean smaller loss rate of smell molecules.  There is a relative volatility to consider here, as flower, fruit and herb smells are the most volatile and may be lost at a high rate even with household freezer temperatures.

4.  When you remove the beans stored in the freezer, the humidity in the air attaches to them much like condensation on a cold glass.  Repeated exposure like this may impart bad flavours or ruin the beans.  Maybe individual containers for daily use are recommended, rather than one large one that is repeatedly put back in the freezer.

5.  Coffee beans, especially light roasts, have some moisture content after roasting, do they not?  Would this be a problem when we freeze the beans?  

If anyone has any ideas on these points, I would love to hear them as I am still trying to give a good answer to the people who ask me this question.  Has anyone seen an actual study done for coffee?
canon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 3:49pm

If the freezer is frost free it may be the source of your problem. A timer turns on the heating coil which is wrapped among the freezer coils. The heater melts the ice off the coils. When all of the ice is gone, the temperature sensor senses the temperature rising above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) and turns off the heater.  This temperature cycling may be the cause of freezing not working.  I use a chest type commercial grade freezer that maintains the temperature at -5F which I have not noticed any changes since I purchased it.

Bob
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Trouble Freezing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344017982483)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+