Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
favorite espresso roasts.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > favorite...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: favorite espresso roasts.

Shores805 Said:

Nice lists. Red Bird definitely at the top imo. Refreshing to see some Fav lists void of Vivace and Intelligentsia. Cant help but roll my eyes when I hear people claim these two. What is this Amateur hour?

Posted July 21, 2012 link

I actually don't like Black Cat at all, maybe their other stuff is good but I don't get the following it has. I tried every temp from mid 190s-205 and could not get a good tasting shot, same sour twang over and over even adjusting dose and grind. Shop here uses it as well with fresh shipments weekly and tasted the same to me, barista there I spoke with one day doesn't even like it and prefers others they carry but for some reason people love Black Cat and ask for it all the time. Guess everyone has different taste lol.... What's great about Red Bird though, it's so flexible, it's pry the hardest beans to not pull a good shot with, very tolerant of grind/dose and temps.

I just grabbed some beans from a place here that roast for their bagel shops, and it was excellent. Ton's of flavor heavy on chocolate notes which I love, nice and strong as a shot, and tasted awesome in milk (ice latte). They don't have an online store though, def up there with some of the best roast I've had including Klatch etc. Except way more affordable for a lb (think it's crazy what some places charge for 12oz and then 8-10 bucks on top for shipping). These beans only cost me like 12-13 bucks for a lb and were top notch, and discount on the 2nd lb if bought at same time, huge savings there. Their rostery setup was killer.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 6:37pm

double post....opps
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 7:34pm

CMIN Said:

I just grabbed some beans from a place here that roast for their bagel shops, and it was excellent. Ton's of flavor heavy on chocolate notes which I love, nice and strong as a shot, and tasted awesome in milk (ice latte). They don't have an online store though, def up there with some of the best roast I've had including Klatch etc. Except way more affordable for a lb (think it's crazy what some places charge for 12oz and then 8-10 bucks on top for shipping). These beans only cost me like 12-13 bucks for a lb and were top notch, and discount on the 2nd lb if bought at same time, huge savings there. Their rostery setup was killer.

Which place? I'm always interested to read about good coffee in S. FL. Used to live there and may again before long.
CMIN

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 7:40am

jbviau Said:

Which place? I'm always interested to read about good coffee in S. FL. Used to live there and may again before long.

http://www.brooklynwaterbagels.com/coffee/our-roastery , in Delray. Mother actually swung by my place yesterday with some food, really good, bagels were as good as any I've had in NY. They have a bunch of coffee, and flavored ones as well (which I know some don't like, but people like my gf love, I smelt some and they smelled incredible). But for what they charge for a lb and then the discount on the 2nd lb, can't beat it. I'm no palette guru but to me it taste like deep chocolate notes with a nice kick, can't remember if I bought the medium or dark roast?
coffeeshone

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 6:04am

My 2 cents-
I really like Counter Culture and have had consistent results with all of their espresso blends. Only thing- whats up with the 12 ounce bag that most of these places are selling? They charge you $5 shipping to send you less than a pound of coffee. 5lb bags are a tad too much for me, but the 12 ouncers I rip through in a couple days. I wish these places would go back to selling it by the pound or kilo. Redbird and Metropolis seem to be good about this and it makes more sense to pay $5 or $8 shipping  if you're getting a couple weeks of coffee. Sometime I get a 5lb bag and freeze 2/3rds of it. Only thing is that I get a little tired of it once I get to the 4th jar and I've been drinking it for a couple weeks. Other roasters I've tried are Paradise roasters- also good and very reasonable. Intelligensia is way overpriced. IMHO
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 6:10am

coffeeshone Said:

My 2 cents-
I really like Counter Culture and have had consistent results with all of their espresso blends. Only thing- whats up with the 12 ounce bag that most of these places are selling? They charge you $5 shipping to send you less than a pound of coffee. 5lb bags are a tad too much for me, but the 12 ouncers I rip through in a couple days. I wish these places would go back to selling it by the pound or kilo. Redbird and Metropolis seem to be good about this and it makes more sense to pay $5 or $8 shipping  if you're getting a couple weeks of coffee. Sometime I get a 5lb bag and freeze 2/3rds of it. Only thing is that I get a little tired of it once I get to the 4th jar and I've been drinking it for a couple weeks. Other roasters I've tried are Paradise roasters- also good and very reasonable. Intelligensia is way overpriced. IMHO

Posted July 24, 2012 link

Yeh the pricing for 12 ounce bags at majority of places is kinda wack, you end up spending close to $17-20 for 12oz once shipping is factored in. I've seen a few charging less, whether for 12oz or 1lb and then their shipping ends up being the highest (like min $10) which makes no sense when a roaster farther away is charging $5 for same shipping method.... makes you wonder whose making money off shipping and whose not. I'll stick with grabbing the beans from my local place, 13 bucks for a pound and half off 2nd pound if bought at same time and they taste so good. Though I want to get into roasting my own.

Between my gf and I and if we have fam friends over, kinda crazy spending the money on 12oz bags, that gets expensive fast even if you can afford it. I looked at what I spent sometimes for just a weeks worth and was like wtf lol. Some are just odd sizes too, like 14oz... why not just add 2 more oz for a full pound lol?
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 5:51pm

Sweet Maria and B & B sell by the pound

Gery Bastiani
coffeeshone

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 6:01pm

gbastiani1952 Said:

Sweet Maria and B & B sell by the pound

Posted July 24, 2012 link

Not familiar with B&B. Couldn't find them online???
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 9:46am

I like to get coffee and freeze it in 1/4 lb blocks.  I pick up random coffee when I am out (I live in coffee mecca land) and get stuff ordered in.  As such I have a random assortment of 1/4 bags in the freezer at any time with redbird being the most.  That way I can vary it up if I get bored. I love Sweet maria's amber and B & B is what I use at parties because it is decent and cheap for me locally. (I can get it local from a coffee shop and they don't charge me shipping if I pay in advance of their weekly order)

http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rsinger
rsinger

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: OE Pharos - #136!!  ;)
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 4:59pm

Hey CMIN:

I'm in S. Fl too...  lately I've been getting everything I drink from Panther Coffee (which is outstanding), but I'm always interested in new sources, especially if the price is good :)

CMIN Said:

http://www.brooklynwaterbagels.com/coffee/our-roastery , in Delray

I'm going to have to check them out!

Rick

New Bezzera Strega
OE Pharos: #136!!
Silvia's a virgin.....  again! (and sold)
Brasilia Cappuccino Del-1 Hx (sold too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66189160@N04/sets/72157628015297112/show/
http://espressoproject.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > favorite...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310054063797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+