Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
A "Thanks" to Jeff @ Red Bird Espresso
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A "Thanks" to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Ducatista

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Mazer Mini
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 4:52pm
Subject: Re: A "Thanks" to Jeff @ Red Bird Espresso

Jeff is indeed a super nice guy and his espresso is our favorite ... but his shipping and delivery are sketchy.  Too often it shows up very late (several days).    He will only ship by USPS (U.S. Postal Service), an unreliable organization, and as a result his coffee is often late.  

Other than that ... Red Bird is the best in our experience.
 View Profile Link to this post
tek

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 8:48am

Ducatista Said:

Jeff is indeed a super nice guy and his espresso is our favorite ... but his shipping and delivery are sketchy.  Too often it shows up very late (several days).    He will only ship by USPS (U.S. Postal Service), an unreliable organization, and as a result his coffee is often late.  

Posted December 24, 2012 link

Main problem is that shipping via UPS or Fedex would be in lot of cases more expensive than coffee itself. And unless you ship with at least 3-days service coffee would take 5-7 business days to get to other side of US which gives you much shorter window to enjoy it. In most cases USPS is much more economical and faster shipping option.

www.10000shots.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 9:54am

Ducatista Said:

Posted December 24, 2012 link

No offense, but this doesn't make any sense to me.  I understand that "YMMV," but Jeff ships all of his coffee via USPS "Priority Mail", which is 2-3 days coast-to-coast.  You can, just as with UPS or FedEx, track the package, and find out where the "hang up" is.

I have never had any shipment from Jeff take more than that to get to me.  I regularly order a coffee from Jeff that he only roasts of Tuesdays.  Most often, I receive my shipment of six pounds on Thursday.  So often, in fact, that if it doesn't arrive until Friday, I wonder what happened.  

Keep in mind that all FedEx and UPS will guarantee is coast-to-coast in five working days, and that can translate into as many as 10 calendar days -- they don't count Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays.  For example, the package gets picked up yesterday, on 12/24.  That is Day Zero.  12/25 is a holiday; doesn't count.  Wed., Thurs., Fri. count (three days), but Saturday and Sunday do not. Monday, 12/31 does (Day Four).  Tuesday (1/1) does not.  Wednesday, 1/2 does.  Now, the way I count that is 12/24 ---> 1/2 = 10 calendar days, but both FedEx and UPS insist it's only FIVE.  (Believe me, I had this discussion with them before.)

I have never had that problem with Priority Mail -- either as a shipper, or as the recipient of a package.

PLus, as tek pointed out,

tek Said:

USPS is much more economical and faster shipping option.

Posted December 25, 2012 link

From Red Bird in Bozeman, MT to ANYWHERE in the country is $10 via USPS Priority Mail flat-rate shipping for my typical 6-pound order.  FedEx and UPS charge by distance.  That same package to my office in Berkeley, CA would be $13.44 via UPS, or $16.21 if it went to a residential, rather than commercial, address (i.e.: my house).  But to go to Pensicola, UPS would charge between $14.67 (business address) and $17.44 (residential).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 9:55pm

I Placed my order on the 18th and received email from Jeff that night stating my order would roast and ship the 19th arrived three days later on the 22nd same as always and for about $10 a pound shipped.

Please!

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:50pm

Yup!

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 8:35am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

No offense, but this doesn't make any sense to me.  I understand that "YMMV," but Jeff ships all of his coffee via USPS "Priority Mail", which is 2-3 days coast-to-coast.  You can, just as with UPS or FedEx, track the package, and find out where the "hang up" is.

I have never had any shipment from Jeff take more than that to get to me.  I regularly order a coffee from Jeff that he only roasts of Tuesdays.  Most often, I receive my shipment of six pounds on Thursday.  So often, in fact, that if it doesn't arrive until Friday, I wonder what happened.  

...PLus, as tek pointed out,

From Red Bird in Bozeman, MT to ANYWHERE in the country is $10 via USPS Priority Mail flat-rate shipping for my typical 6-pound order.  FedEx and UPS charge by distance...

Posted December 25, 2012 link

This has been my experience as well.  In fact, not to bash anyone else, but I've ordered from Jeff and Counter Culture and from Jeff and Velton's on the same dayand received the others about 5 days later than Jeff's

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BigStormGirl
BigStormGirl

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario/Peugeot Bresil
Drip: CCD
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:14am

I have never had an issue with any shipment from Jeff.  He ships it out to me on Tuesday, and it's at my door on Thursday.  Every single time, for over a year in a half.
Ascasouser

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Bssic
Grinder: Ascaso i-mini
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:52pm

I've been ordering  from Jeff for a while, but never expected such a huge chunk of chocolate as I did this time. Quite a nice gesture and unexpected. I've never had an issue with his shipping, it is typically roasted and shipped the next day. Any problem is on USPS.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 8:45am

Let's not expect a response anytime soon from Ken Ford ("Ducatista").  His post above, made on Xmas Eve, was his first on CG since February 9, 2010 . . .

Cathi

Espresso: Cremina '67, Coffex
Grinder: Macap, KA Pro, Troesser,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex CM-8, KMB
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:23pm

I've always gotten my coffee from Jeff very quickly unless shipping fell over a holiday period, which would not be under Jeff''s control. Much prefer USPS Priority Mail over other shippers unless they are California/Oregon.  

If you order a 5 pounder shipping is free and you can add an extra pound of a different coffee and the $5 you are charged at check out is refunded.  Do the math people:  That's 6 pounds of coffee shipped FREE! Great coffee+great service= no brainer (IMO).

Rock on Jeff and Red Bird Coffee Fans!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A "Thanks" to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298411130905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+