Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
La Colombe Torrefaction beans
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > La Colombe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
zackz
zackz
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Via Veneto
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Nemox Lux
Drip: Beehouse
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 7:14pm
Subject: Re: La Colombe Torrefaction beans

Click Here (shop.lacolombe.com)

_mano cornuto_
 View Profile Link to this post
pmcardle

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Keurig B60
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 6:50am

I just received some of the Papua and it is fabulous! Nothing like I've ever tasted. Very rich and flavorful. A gotta try at least once kind of thing. Course I may go back for more now..

Bought it right from their site was shipped to me within 2 days.  Very fresh.
Ays2k

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:11am

I love la colombe beans, always very fresh always amazingly unique and you can tell its pure origin and done right... I've had the PNG, quite a few Ethiopia and Madagascar and I'm about to get Colombia, Bolivia and hati....  To hit on the three I've tried png- very low acidity, cocoa, smooth.  Ethiopia -definitely my favorite thus far, as it should be considering its origin... Intense fruitiness amazing blueberry, medium acidity, just simply perfect!  Madagascar was SOMETHIN else it's definitely heavy and chocolaty and a different cup of coffee. When it says 3 times amount of caffeine from normal drink with caution- it means it! Caffeine wow! Although it only comes in 12 oz bags I'm completely fine with that. There is a coffee shop a few blocks from me called revocup ( revocup.com ) it's owned by an Ethiopian couple and their pure beans are simply amazing and they have a coffee roaster in in the middle of the coffee shop, usually the beans I buy are roaster the day before to a week or so ago (they have roasted dates on the bag).  Revo also sells in 12 oz bags and $ are very comparable unless you're thinking about buying the 12 oz 40 dollar bag which I'm told is a strong smooth delicious buttery cup of deliciousness....
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:28am

I have to be honest, I used to drink their coffee before I knew much about coffee. Their coffee is good--and sourced well--but they roast pretty dark. Their Nizza isn't bad, but I don't think it competes with anything on the high end. Todd Carmichael also bashes every single step forward that specialty coffee takes, saying that what he's doing is always the best way. In his defense, he admittedly is going for "culinary coffee," or coffee that works best in a fine-dining setting, and not just the best coffee period. IMO, he's in a different demographic.

I also lost a lot of respect for Carmichael once he single-handedly crippled Stumptown's business by saying that Duane "sold his life's work to the highest bidder." This of course turned out to be a gross over exaggeration of Duane simply accepting investment while still completely running the business. I watched a handful of shops in Philly straight up drop Stumptown from their shelves and grinders in that time. When I asked why, they offered Carmichael's GQ article as proof that Stumptown sold out. Specialty Coffee should be somewhat of a community, working together, not a playground rivalry steeped in gossip.

All in all, La Colombe isn't bad, but there are certainly better roasters with less shady business practices.

Just my $.02. I hope I don't offend.

-Dave-
MDiddy

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:41am

Dave,  what places around Philly would you recommend to pick up some good beans besides La Colombe?   Was going to head down today to pick up another pound or two but am always up for trying something new.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:52am

MDiddy Said:

Dave,  what places around Philly would you recommend to pick up some good beans besides La Colombe?   Was going to head down today to pick up another pound or two but am always up for trying something new.

Posted January 27, 2013 link

Awesome question. Unfortunately, I have too many answers. Haha. My absolute favorite is One Shot in Northern Liberties, which happens to be a shop that stopped using Stumptown, but last time I checked, they still sell whole bean. The reason they're my favorite is because they not only have awesome coffee, but also awesome brunch! But since you're asking about beans, they sell PT's and maybe still Stumptown. Shot Tower sells Counter Culture and sometimes some other random good roaster. They also pull some great shots of Apollo. OCF sells Counter Culture. Rival Bros. parks at Drexel (check out their site) and are a couple of great guys providing a fully-functioning coffee shop out of a food truck, and their coffee is genuinely great. They roast their own coffee really well. Ultimo uses Counter Culture as well, last time I checked. Bodhi uses PT's last time I checked, and keeps a pretty nice retail selection for such a small shop. The list goes on, but those are my highlights.

-Dave-
MDiddy

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:09pm

Thanks for the info Dave!   A buddy I went to HS with worked at Bodhi a while back.   He says its a great place.   Might give that a shot and pick up some Stumptown.   Have you ever tried Chestnut Hill Coffee?   I've heard great things about them.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 1:47pm

MDiddy Said:

Thanks for the info Dave!   A buddy I went to HS with worked at Bodhi a while back.   He says its a great place.   Might give that a shot and pick up some Stumptown.   Have you ever tried Chestnut Hill Coffee?   I've heard great things about them.

Posted January 27, 2013 link

Funny that you ask, as I was just thinking about it. Chestnut Hill happens to be one of the only roasters in PA I haven't tried. I just heard bad things, on the contrary to what you've heard. But in fairness, the source wasn't a reliable one, and I guess they just slipped under my radar.

-Dave-
Ays2k

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 5:11pm

Ahh and PTs/ we had one here and they are no more but revocup took over their location.
I'm glad Dave chimed in because I'm always looking for something new thats well worth my time and has good credentials like this community provides.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > La Colombe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249084949493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+