Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Beans recommendations for using in a superautomatic
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Beans...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
franmon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 5:51pm
Subject: Beans recommendations for using in a superautomatic

Hi,

I just bought a new superautomatic (Delonghi ESAM 3500) and would like recommendations for what beans to use with it. Until now, I was drinking William Spartivento Sumatra, but I read everywhere that oily beans are bad for superautomatics, so I need to find a new blend.

Can I get any suggestions of either a less oily Sumatran blend, or something else in the same taste palette? I will mostly brew cappuccinos and lattes with it.

Thanks a lot!
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 7:13pm
Subject: Re: Beans recommendations for using in a superautomatic

franmon Said:

Hi,

I just bought a new superautomatic (Delonghi ESAM 3500) and would like recommendations for what beans to use with it. Until now, I was drinking William Spartivento Sumatra, but I read everywhere that oily beans are bad for superautomatics, so I need to find a new blend.

Can I get any suggestions of either a less oily Sumatran blend, or something else in the same taste palette? I will mostly brew cappuccinos and lattes with it.

Thanks a lot!

Posted February 10, 2013 link

Any light roasted bean. I wouldn't use anything darker than Full City.  Sumatra can be light roasted.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 8:43pm

Do NOT use and oily bean and do NOT set the grind super fine. I am speaking as one has owned to pricey super autos

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 6:02am

It won't make a lot of difference taste wise, but I suppose if you want to extend the longevity of the machine, you have had a few good suggestions. In truth though, because all superautos I have ever tested brew too cool, it's better to use a darker roasted bean, then at least you get some semblance of flavour.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:25am

DavecUK Said:

It won't make a lot of difference taste wise, but I suppose if you want to extend the longevity of the machine, you have had a few good suggestions. In truth though, because all superautos I have ever tested brew too cool, it's better to use a darker roasted bean, then at least you get some semblance of flavour.

Posted February 11, 2013 link

That makes sense, however the issue that superautos have with darker roasted beans is a clogging of the chute that goes from the grinder to the "portafilter"; additionally superautos have a hell of a time pushing water through dark roasted bean grounds.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:38am

why waste your hard earned money on good beans, only to ruin them by using a superauto? One may as well save some dough and buy cheap mediocre beans.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:19pm

emradguy Said:

why waste your hard earned money on good beans, only to ruin them by using a superauto? One may as well save some dough and buy cheap mediocre beans.

I'd imagine that the same argument could be made for comparisons of any coffee making devices.  As an example I have a Brikka, and consider regular moka pots inferior to the Brikka (of course IMHO).  So why would one waste hard earned money on good beans by using a regular old so common place moka pot when they could use a superior Brikka?  Or a techniform over a  regular drip?  How about a Clever over a regular melitta pourover?

Let's give the OP a break, he's trying to make the best of what he has.

Len

franmon

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:42pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I'd imagine that the same argument could be made for comparisons of any coffee making devices.  As an example I have a Brikka, and consider regular moka pots inferior to the Brikka (of course IMHO).  So why would one waste hard earned money on good beans by using a regular old so common place moka pot when they could use a superior Brikka?  Or a techniform over a  regular drip?  How about a Clever over a regular melitta pourover?

Let's give the OP a break, he's trying to make the best of what he has.

Len

Thank you.

I clearly labelled my post as to what I wanted to know, so I don't see why I should get crap about what type of machine I use. If I was interested to know opinions about superautomatics, I would have asked that.

Now, thanks to those who took the time to give me actual advice, and I will be pleased to receive more suggestions about coffee blends to use that will taste good and keep my machine working for the longest possible time.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:50pm

ok, good point Len.  Apologies to OP.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
franmon

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:54pm

emradguy Said:

ok, good point Len.  Apologies to OP.

Apology accepted. Now, lets talk coffee! :D
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Beans...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314743041992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+