Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Anyone Tried Red Rooster Coffee Roasters out of VA?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Anyone Tried Red...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM, Wear-Ever Pumper 1400...
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 6:31am
Subject: Anyone Tried Red Rooster Coffee Roasters out of VA?

Recently moved to Roanoke, VA and it looks like this might be a good option sort of close by...about 50 min away.  Website states that they roast to order and immediately ship.  I should get it the next day or 2 at the max bc I'm so close.  Anyone had experience with these beans?

http://www.redroostercoffeeroaster.com/catalog/
 View Profile Link to this post
theMac

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 12:10am
Subject: Re: Anyone Tried Red Rooster Coffee Roasters out of VA?

No, I haven't tried it, but please keep us posted on how it is.  I am in Northern VA and found them the other day.  I will be interested to see what you think of them.
jroach

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa,...
Grinder: La Cimbali 6S, Baratza...
Drip: EVA Solo, Moka, Press Pot,...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 3:41am

I haven't tried Red Rooster, but I'll have to give it a look.  I've had good experiences with Shenandoah Joe's in Charlottesville.  I'm in Chesterfield, VA (south of Richmond) and last time I ordered over a weekend they roasted on Monday (early) had my order in Monday's shipping and on my door Tuesday.  

www.shenandoahjoe.com/‎

Isn't Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea in Roanoke?  I've never tried there coffee that I remember, but they has a good rep in the area.  That might be a local option and they you can give us a first hand review...

Good Luck
Jim
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 11:12am

I looked at their site and noticed that they don't offer whole bean as an option. It comes pre ground from course to espresso grind. Unless you phone in your order and ask for whole bean.

Gery Bastiani
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM, Wear-Ever Pumper 1400...
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 11:51am

Wow I really can't believe it's not an option to have whole bean shipped via the website.  One would think they would be advocating home-grind for their artisan product.  I'll be  ordering from them (via phone) in the next week or so and I'll revisit this post so I can let you know what I think.  They offer a free $5 credit when you give them your email address, I haven't received any junkmail yet and its a small operation so I doubt they're selling my info...hopefully.

I went to school in Charlottesville and I will wholeheartedly vouch for Shenandoah Joe's.  I had the pleasure of living half a mile from the roasting location, they really care about their beans, it shows.

Regarding Mill Mountain:  They have a few locations around the Roanoke (SW VA) area.  The roasting is done in the Salem location about 15 min away. I called their roast-master (Molly), and she was knowledgable as well as happy to answer questions.  I was mainly asking about the freshness I can guarantee when I get beans by the lb at their Downtown Roanoke location.  All the beans that go into their Mill Mountain house blend and their Mill Mountain espresso blend (and intuitively, the blends themselves) are roasted almost daily.  The shops go through those 2 blends so much that they are constantly replenished.  All I can say about their espresso blend at this point is that the beans were indeed very fresh.  I don't have enough background in the single origins to comment on the blend's individual components but for the price and high quality ($15/lb compared to the $15-$20/12oz) I'll probably make it one of my go-to purchases (I'll be trying the Congo next).

Thanks for the feedback!
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:54pm

I didn't mean that they would sell their coffee whole bean by phone in, but if you would call they may sell their coffee whole bean. But you should call them and ask. Sorry for any mistakes in my last post.

Gery Bastiani
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 5:17pm

The Red Rooster site does list "none" under grind selection.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Anyone Tried Red...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.206040859222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+