Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
What espresso blend is home machine "friendliest"
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 10:35am
Subject: What espresso blend is home machine "friendliest"

I'll list the ones I've tried that have worked almost immediately without having to dial in different with my Vario.  I use a Gaggia Classic for espresso machine.  These gave me no problems:  Café Fresco Ambrosia, Metropolis Redline, Barrington Gold, Redbird (90% of the time).
I'm thinking of trying Sermon(Vivace??).   At $20 for 12 oz., would love to know what people think about the "forgiveability" of that blend with home machines.  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: What espresso blend is home machine "friendliest"

Well, its 100% normal, and expected, to have to change the grind setting for a new bag of coffee, same blend or different blend.   Now, if you use the same dose all the time, and the same basket, the changes will be slight.

But, its not a bad sign that you need to dial in.  Its just needs to be done.  Like I said, if you keep the dose the same for every coffee(which, isn't ideal, but can work out most of the time), and most coffees you buy are roasted to similar levels, than you might only need slight tweaks.  But, the whole point, is extracting the goodness, from the coffee at hand.  If that means using settings that are different from what you used last week, then thats what you need to do.

A coffee is not forgiving if it works with the settings you were using with your last bag of coffee, it just means you got lucky and chose a similar coffee/roast level.

A coffee is forgiving if, once you get the flow correct, you don't need to wildly change the dose, and subsequently, the grind setting, to find the flavors you want.  This is 100% coffee dependent, and will change each time.

I think your mentioning Sermon espresso, from Verve?  Havent had it in a while.  They have two espresso blends, streetlevel, and sermon.  Sermon will probably be the easier of the two to pull.  Based on the flavors they're describing, and the coffees used in the blend, it should be the easier of the two.   But, I havent had Verve in a while, idk what they're doing lately, or how light/dark they're roasting.  

Generally, and this is totally open to change, but generally, the blends which favor bass note flavors.. Dark Chocolate, Cocoa, Spices, Nuts, Caramels, Stone fruits..  Are on the easier side of dialing in.  Blends/Single origins which are on the brighter side, featuring more up front fruits, citrus, florals, tea notes..  Those are generally on the trickier side to pull.   And this is because of roast level.  Espresso is a very demanding process..  Its Hell.  Its the most hardcore environment coffee can withstand, and still produce something beautiful.  And when the coffee is roasted lighter, and those more aggressive origin notes are up front and vivid in the bean, they are multiplied in the espresso.  Not all coffees can make espresso, no matter what you do.  Some coffees can be finessed into producing some good shots, but if you're not a fan of, or not used to bright espresso, even after its been dialed in by a skilled hand, you might still think its terrible.  And thats OK, there is plenty of debate right now whether or not that is the way espresso should be heading.  be your own judge, find your own flavors.

Also, I highly suggest you read this post.  Follow this guide like your life depends on it.  Your success with tricky coffees will be much higher if you follow this guide.   Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind By Taste

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 5:02pm

Thank you so much for excellent, thorough & very helpful reply!
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:39am

I made the mistake of setting my Vario to 12 seconds because the Velton's I had on hand dosed 18g in 12 seconds. My dangerous assumption was all coffees would grind 18g in 12 seconds. For MONTHS I did this and felt like Espresso wasn't something that worked every time. I would always hit the brew switch and pray it would work and had decent results half the time. I got my VST basket the same time I got my Mazzer and people said the VST was no good unless you had a weighed dose so I removed the hopper and began dosing only 18g for every shot. What a difference! I consistently make good Espresso now because the variability of the dose is gone. Before my doses would vary from 14-20g (yikes) and now they are consistently 18g. This means as long as I figure out the right grind and keep everything else the same, I can just throw 18g in my hopper and grind until empty and just follow my usual regimen.

When my best friend is over we like to experiment with everything (dose, grind, roast, blend, etc.) and it's interesting when I put my Mazzer against my Vario. The Vario is a champ if you weigh your dose or atleast make sure the time and grind match the right dose.
Chanty

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 1:37pm

This is how I do it with my Vario.  I put in a 1/4 cup of beans in the doser & grind for 15 seconds.   If I do more than a 1/4 cup, it is too much & chokes in my Classic.   I know sounds super amateurish, but I don't have a scale & this system has always worked for me in the last 10+ years.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:06am

15-17 grams depending on the mood I want for the shot. I'm also getting the hand of changing the grind setting especially I change a bag of coffee at least every month.
And you're right Jmanespresso, "the whole point is extracting the goodness, from the coffee at hand".

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Slowgrind

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 4:24am

If your into home roasting, sweet marias has some nice blends.
Flori

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 12:09am

would recommend sweet marias as well :).

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
RobrtLvndr
RobrtLvndr

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:51pm

Recently I got my prefect espresso recipe from www.sweetmarias.com/blending.php , there are many other as well you can refer them. I have tried only few of them and the classical Espresso blend with 15% Robusta , 70% Brazil and 15% Central America is my favorite.

www.chesstelecom.com/business-line-and-call-plans
roastbear
roastbear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:54am

I too give a thumbs up for Red Bird's espresso blend. I think it's the easiest to dial in, and most consistent espresso blend I've ever had. I buy by the 5 pound bag and freeze in 3/4 pound lots. The last shot is generally as good as the first. Doesn't hurt it's also a great deal online.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235733985901)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+