Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Dialing in CC1 for the second time (Need help from Redbird drinkers)
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Dialing in CC1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 5:03am
Subject: Dialing in CC1 for the second time (Need help from Redbird drinkers)

Without writing a book, I am having to learn my CC1 all over again because, evidently, I have had a defective pressure valve since new or thereabouts.

For months I have been trying to find the best tastes to only throw most shots down the sink. I now know that much of this was because my brew pressure was low and I didn't know it. The problem is that I spent months trying to find the "best" taste and the best I could do (which was not very good), was usually around 19 grams of coffee with around 28 to 32 grams of total yield. I put this in about 6oz of milk. 28 to 32 grams usually graduates out at about 1.5 to 1.75 ounces after the crema settles a bit.

Trying that same approach now that I have more pressure seems to be giving me a much more pleasing taste, but a little weak in my milk drinks. It takes me a long time to make adjustments because I tend to only make one drink a day (the evening drinks keep me awake at bed time).

Do I need to up my yield? Use less milk?  If I lower the amount of milk at the ratios. I will have a very small drinks. Many moons ago, I used a smaller cheap espresso machine (probably non pressurized) and I would fill a little small 3oz stainless pitcher with espresso and make my milk drinks with that, but when I first started with the CC1 pours with that high of a yield were nasty. I may be able to do a bigger shot now that I have more pressure... have not tried that yet.

Sorry to ask so many questions but the new pressure valve has totally changed my machine (for the better I think) and I feel like I am starting with a brand new machine that I need to learn how t dial in.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 11:25am
Subject: Re: Dialing in CC1 for the second time (Need help from Redbird drinkers)

I found less milk was better.  I am down to 3-4 oz per pull now.  Do 2 pulls and use 8 oz of milk in one glass.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 11:44am
Subject: Re: Dialing in CC1 for the second time (Need help from Redbird drinkers)

Interesting, I also use less and less milk and more coffee.  Currently I get around the volume problem, "small drinks," with 2 doubles of Redbird at about 30 gms each and about 3 - 5 oz of milk depending on my whim. That would not help you at night unless you start mixing in decaf :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 6:31pm

I've been reading a lot of your CC1 experiences recently and it's just got me thinking.. I use a 3 group La Cimbali M32 heat exchanger at work and while it's "awesome" I ALWAYS look forward to using my CC1 at home. I just find the drinks are so much better on it. Something about the PID and slower steam that really let me bring out the sweetness of the shot and the milk, unlike the overly powerful La Cimbali.

I'll try and chime in about my experiences with Red Bird when I finally get around to it (I love having the problem of too many coffees to try--right now I'm working through metropolis red line, victrola streamline, new sweet maria's workshop blends, and maybe Verve's streetlevel revision). I can't honestly say any bean has given me too much trouble on the CC1. In fact, I'm sure the CC1 is the reason I am able to decide if I really like or dislike the blend rather than pointing the blame for a lame shot at my machine.

Hopefully you find the sweet spot with the machine. Post back if you find a good dose and temp.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Dialing in CC1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195051908493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+