Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Starbucks like blend?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Starbucks like...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 5:49am
Subject: Re: Starbucks like blend?

BTW... Starbucks has a Food Service website, http://starbucksfs.com. On there are all their recipes for all their drinks, http://starbucksfs.com/Recipes.

Regarding syrup, I just make my own. 2 cups sugar + 1 cup water over medium heat, stirring constantly for a couple minutes.

My wife likes their Iced Caramel Macchiato so I make my own simple syrup and my own caramel syrup.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:00am

jchung Said:

BTW... Starbucks has a Food Service website, http://starbucksfs.com. On there are all their recipes for all their drinks, http://starbucksfs.com/Recipes.

Regarding syrup, I just make my own. 2 cups sugar + 1 cup water over medium heat, stirring constantly for a couple minutes.

My wife likes their Iced Caramel Macchiato so I make my own simple syrup and my own caramel syrup.

Posted July 9, 2013 link

How do you make your caramel syrup? Ad how long does it store? i've wanted to try home made but seems when searching on here and online people say it's only good for anywhere from a couple days to a few weeks. Don't want to be making syrup all the time lol. We get the DaVinci stuff which I like better then Monin, for like $5 a bottle at Marshalls here.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:18am

CMIN Said:

Elijah's Specialty Coffee in Elmhurst (really good) and Metropolis, and 1 other when she drove over to MI but forgetting the name but it was flavored fresh roasted coffee, little 8oz bag made my house smell like a cherry/fruit bomb went off, used my hand grinder for that as didn't want it leaving the flavor smell in my grinder lol. I didn't like that one, she loves cherries so...

Posted July 9, 2013 link

I'm surprised that she didn't get any black cat. most of the time its like a dark chocolate cherry bomb, ha. Then again, they are so accessible. Next time she is in make her grab a bag of Gaslight roasters or Bow Truss, best in the city.
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:48am

brianl Said:

I'm surprised that she didn't get any black cat. most of the time its like a dark chocolate cherry bomb, ha. Then again, they are so accessible. Next time she is in make her grab a bag of Gaslight roasters or Bow Truss, best in the city.

Posted July 9, 2013 link

We both actually hate Blackcat, go figure lol
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 8:45am

bdixon Said:

I'm pretty new and realize that you are thinking...who the heck would want a blend that tastes similar to Starbucks.  However, this geek was conditionally allowed to purchase my first expresso machine and grinder but ONLY if I could replicate the drink my wife orders from Starbucks (she drinks lattes and caps mostly).

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Should be pretty easy though I haven't tried myself as I can't stand their lattes.  Find a dark roasted espresso blend, make sure it's stale, do a poor job of pulling the espresso and add a lot of poorly steamed milk.

Are there seriously no good coffee shops in your area or in places that you travel to that you can take her to in order to experience proper lattes and cappucinos?  Odds are pretty good that she would be instantly converted unless she just strongly prefers what she's used to.  Even if there's nothing in Plano there are some excellent shops in the the DFW metroplex from what I recall.

bdixon Said:

Charbucks lol.  I never thought it was that bad from a taste perspective, but the price and the proportions of espresso to milk is where I have found it severely lacking.  

Posted July 3, 2013 link

I'm a latte drinker but I find theirs to be extremely bland.  The espresso drinkers love to say that milk hides all but there's a tremendous difference between a latte made with good espresso and one made with mediocre or poor espresso.  It's not just the amount that is their problem IMO.

NobbyR Said:

If your wife likes the Starbuck's taste so much, why not simply get their beans for her coffee?

Posted July 3, 2013 link

^ This.

CMIN Said:

But imo when I see people preferring Charbucks etc, over fresh coffee drinks, it's either A)they like all the sugar and syrups etc more, or B) they don't know about Pectin which gives the drinks that mouthfeel.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Some are just set in their ways or have other reasons for preferring what they prefer (convenience, ignorance, etc).

bdixon Said:

It's so much easier when you are single lol.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Not necessarily.  My better half is pushing for a new machine along with the kitchen and coffee bar remodeling.  I was content with running off bottles but she pushed for direct plumb.  I was looking at the Duetto 3.0 and she asked if it would be worth considering the Speedster that I keep looking at.
roastbear
roastbear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 9:49am

I think if you run any decent bean through your machine at too high a temp, then steam the milk to at least 150, and serve it immediately while it's so hot you can't taste anything but burning flesh (your own), then you've replicated Starbucks perfectly.

Hopefully your wife catches on and realizes that you can produce something way better than Starbucks. No one acquires a taste for better quality over night. She'll catch on. You have your work cut out for you in educating her. Teach her to make her own lattes and caps, she'll learn by her own mistakes and realize Starbucks serves and collects money for theirs.
pmaru77

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 6:02pm

I guess I'm spoiled.  I went to the supermarket to get some beans, and the best I could find was a 1 month old roast.  I would have bought it but it was not the type I wanted. They had some ground espresso that had a death date of 2015. Holy carp!  I may have enuf beans for one shot tomorrow, if not I'll grab some of my wifes decaf beans to fill the shot.  Then it's off to Birdrock for a bag.  Bummer my roaster is down for cleaning. Even if Starbucks is open till ??? I refuse to drink it anymore.
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 3:06pm

I saw on my home page news that Starbucks is being bought out by Google

Gery Bastiani
Coffeefrank

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 4:08am

I don't think Starbucks is being bought out by Google just yet. Have a look at statistics on Starbucks and you'll see that would be quite an expensive endeavour...even for Google. From what I have read, Google are just partnering with Starbucks to provide faster WiFi in the cafes. Up to 100 times faster in some cases.
CMIN

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 6:23am

Google isn't buying out Starbucks, starbucks is leaving AT&T for Google internet/wifi, which if its their fiber cable, ridiculously fast.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Starbucks like...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35130405426)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+