Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
After Black Cat, What?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > After Black Cat,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Espressosnob
Espressosnob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ranchilio Silvia, Gaggia...
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro...
Drip: Capresso Coffee TEC, Braun,...
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 8:22am
Subject: After Black Cat, What?

I was a longggggg time Black Cat fan, but my taste has moved on to darker roasts.  I've also moved out of Illinois and have not yet found a local roaster to my new taste preference.  I'm going to go back to mail order, but need some recommendations from some of you familiar with the good characteristics of BC who might help me find a "similar" but darker roast.  I always pulled good shots with BC and its crema seemed to be unsurpassed.  It's just too light and sometimes with "sour" overtones to suit my taste.  I've tried Pete's, which is close but not quite the quality of BC.  Any ideas?

I use Silvia to brew (she's almost 10 years old and still going strong).
 View Profile Link to this post
roastbear
roastbear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:41am
Subject: Re: After Black Cat, What?

I too was a long time Black Cat fan and have moved on to Red Bird's espresso. It's not a darker roast, but very consistent and the best value online if you buy a 5 pound bag. Including shipping it's just over $51.00.

I wanted to suggest Vivace Dolce and Vita, blended and roasted in Seattle. Seems like more roast flavor and produces a great crema.
http://www.espressovivace.com/blends.html
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 1:48pm

There are several times a year that the weather does not permit roasting in my garage.  When I order from commercial roasters I prefer Stumptown's Hair Bender.  I also like Red Bird.  Vivace Dolce used to be a favorite but I like Hair Bender better.
coffeeshone

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:23pm

I also find Black Cat at times kinda bright and, frankly, kinda boring.

I love Brazil daterra sweet blue as single origin from redbird or CQ roasters. Dodd coffee has a tad darker and very happening couple of roasts that I also love. I've been using the Costa Rica Finca Genesis for SO espresso, even thought they don't recommend it for espresso. Really great syrupy thick texture. As for stumptown I find the Holler Mountain to be way better for espresso than the hair bender espresso blend. I prefer a slightly darker flavor and less acidity and brightness.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013, 10:34am

Black cat is way to bright for me.  I did not pull a shot on it without lemon. I also like Hollar Mt. Nicer than hair bender. I like blue Jag from red bird.   I want to try sermon for the blueberry he is getting in his coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013, 12:00pm

Yeh I agree, Black Cat is the only coffee I just could never pull even a decent shot with, no matter what temp or dose, it was always tangy/sour in a bad way, not like a normal bright coffee, just odd tasting lol. Even at shops that pull it, and Intel itself just was never good tasting to myself or fiance.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > After Black Cat,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20167517662)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+