Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Cafe Cubano
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Cafe Cubano  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EricZeiler

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 1:54pm
Subject: Cafe Cubano

One of my favority cafes in Philadelphia (Cafe Clave... recently closed, unfortunately) used to make an excellent drink they called a Cafe Cubano.  It was basically a cortado (or machiatto... still don't really know the difference), but with a twist.  The owner would dose once, tamp, and then spoon a small bit of unrefined brown sugar, dose again (the second shot), and then tamp again.  He would pull a double shot and then add a little bit of foamed milk.  It had a really delicious, deep sweetness, definitely better than adding sugar post-brew.

Has anyone seen or made this drink before?
-Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
bluesforpablo
bluesforpablo
Expertise: Professional

Drip: French Press
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: Cafe Cubano

I have been considering adding this to my menu when I open.  My only concern with the method you describe is the suger could get into the grouphead.  I found these two links when I was researching this drink:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/08/cubano/

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~bslock/html/cafe.html

Geoff Corey
www.geoffcorey.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 9:31pm

I've made them.  I love them.  

I don't think the sugar would foul anything up, especially if it was sandwiched in between layers of grounds.

Just in case you were paranoid, you could run a shot of water through the grouphead after you pulled the shot (a la "portafilter wiggle")

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dwarfcoffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Ditting Doserless
Drip: Fetco 2031, Clover, French...
Roaster: 10k Semiac
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2005, 2:00am

these are fun.... had my owner jumping around the shop for two weeks after I introduced him to this one.

that and some of the respsonses from customers.....

"It's like a party in my mouth!"

"OMG ARE YOU KIDDING THAT COULD KILL ME!"

yeah very fun stuff

Dan Streetman
Cuvee Coffee Roasting Company
Austin, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: speedster
Grinder: zassenhaus
Vac Pot: kono
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2005, 5:30am

would that cause channelling and uneven extraction? since the sugar and coffee ground have different size particles? i think it might work in a moka pot, but not under 9 bar extraction. anyone has tried this with naked pf?

someone please enlighten me?
Descartes
Descartes

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bodum Chambord FP
Roaster: GG/SC
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2005, 7:16am

I think I might try this...

BTW, I believe the difference between a macchiato and a cortado is simply that of the milk.  I think a "traditional" macchiato is more of a dry dollop of foam that mostly rests on top of the espresso, and a cortado is more like that which most would call a macchiato: It mixes with the espresso.  

That's my understanding anyway.
karlInSanDiego
karlInSanDiego

Espresso: Melita + Salton (seriously)
Grinder: Black & Decker burr
Drip: Gevalia freebee
Roaster: not there yet
Posted Tue Jan 11, 2005, 3:44pm

Our local café, makes a Cubano with sweetened condensed milk under a shot.  This is how I've had coffee served in "Little Saigon" in Garden Grove, CA, also.  Unfortunately, I didn't know that Vietnamese coffee's were served that way, and much like a black and tan pour, it's not apparent until you've drunk half of the coffee.  Then you're left with super sweet milk with the slight taste of coffee ;^)

The other embarrasing part of that Little Saigon story was the hot tea that they served with coffee.  It was served in a pilsner glass, and at first I thought the waitress misunderstood my order and was serving me a warm headless beer!
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SwedishChef
SwedishChef
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Promac Club/S & La Vibiemme...
Grinder: Anfim Self
Vac Pot: La Caffètiere
Drip: KRUPS Thermos
Roaster: Owen
Posted Mon Jan 17, 2005, 3:40pm

Cortado is simply spanish, macchiato is italian.
dwarfcoffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Ditting Doserless
Drip: Fetco 2031, Clover, French...
Roaster: 10k Semiac
Posted Mon Jan 17, 2005, 4:04pm

default,
from my experience, I have never noticed any channeling involved when pulling cubano's, I'm not pouring on naked but I do always check my puck's, especially when I'm trying something different.  I have a theory as well, I place the brown sugar on top of the espresso puck, so I think that the brown sugar dissolves first and then  the water extracts as much coffee as it can hold above and beyond that, making it hard for overextraction and channeling.... also, even if you did get some channeling I don't think you would notice since, you are adding an incredible amount of sugar and thus would drown out the "bitter" taste that would come with overextraction.

it would probably be better to disitribute the sugar throughout the puck, but I haven't played with this enough (and only serve it to the odd customer usually close friends of owner or owner himself etc.) to try that out.  If I get a chance I may mess with it some more this week and see what I can produce for you.

Daniel

Dan Streetman
Cuvee Coffee Roasting Company
Austin, TX
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Cafe Cubano  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252008914948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+