Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
"Caffe Flair"... unbelievable video you have to watch... and comment on!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > "Caffe Flair"......  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 8:01pm
Subject: "Caffe Flair"... unbelievable video you have to watch... and comment on!

My good friend Andrea Lattuada, who is the 2003 Italian Barista Champion, and a WBC 2005 Judge Candidate gave me this amazing video today, and I wanted to share it. He is one of the originators of "Coffee Flair".... what is that?

If you've ever seen a Bartending Championship, you know that the "flair" component is the coolest and most entertaining. Andrea is fostering a movement to introduce the world to Espresso, Barista, or as they call it "caffe flair".

In the video, Andrea is the guy with the longer hair of the two.

The other person demonstrating with him is Fabio Milani, who is also a certified judge for the World Bartending Flair Competition.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/video/coffee_flair.mov (11mb quicktime)

Check them out, it's seriously amazing stuff. And I should point out that they are by and large "WBC Standards" in the prep of their drinks in this movie. They are delaying a bit on service and hitting the brew switch (after grinding) but otherwise, it's all WBC spec stuff... with flair.

Andrea works with 9Bar (www.9bar.it), and is, as mentioned, the 2003 Italian Barista Champion. He's also promised me he will start writing in our forums as a regular participant :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
malachi
malachi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 8:12pm
Subject: Re: "Caffe Flair"... unbelievable video you have to watch... and comment on!

gotta wonder what the temp of those portafilters was
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 8:18pm
Subject: Re: "Caffe Flair"... unbelievable video you have to watch... and comment on!

LOL Chris, always the spoilsport... ;) :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
ant

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:14pm

Maybe dousing the metal part of the portafilters in some type of taste neutral alcohol so you can set it alight to keep the heat retention while doing all the theatrics would make chris happier.  To ensure consistency in application we should also graph the exact amount of time that the portafilter should be kept on fire while also taking into effect ambient room temperature on said temps.  Dan kehn if you are out there are you busy and can you juggle? :P
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
parity
parity
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, La Pavoni...
Roaster: CO/SC
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:21pm

At the Western Regionals, I saw some guy flip his portafilter after tamping. While in mid air the puck fell out and the coffee hit the ground making a mess. It took him like 3 times to get it right without the coffee falling out. I guess he didn't get too many marks for cleaniness.

Though the video was cool maybe some day we'll see someone doing this blind folded on a unicycle.
steamed
steamed

Espresso: La Marzocco
Grinder: Mazzer, BNZ, Ditting
Roaster: Probat, Diedrich
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 3:46am

parity Said:

At the Western Regionals, I saw some guy flip his portafilter after tamping. While in mid air the puck fell out and the coffee hit the ground making a mess. It took him like 3 times to get it right without the coffee falling out. I guess he didn't get too many marks for cleaniness.

Though the video was cool maybe some day we'll see someone doing this blind folded on a unicycle.

Posted April 14, 2005 link

Don't know about the unicycle but I've seen Will from Campos in Sydney flip the portafilter. And no, I've never seen him drop one!
 View Profile Link to this post
AlMac

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 5:15am

Where can I download the software I need to play this?
bigjp

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm KBT741 ,FP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 6:04am

AlMac Said:

Where can I download the software I need to play this?

Posted April 15, 2005 link

Try this one click here
AlMac

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005, 8:30am

Too easy.  Thanks very much.
flimbag

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Jr.
Grinder: Minging Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona Jr.
Drip: I know you are, but what am...
Roaster: Prima Popcorn Popper
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005, 9:25am

Brings to mind a coffee equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters, or the Backstreet Boys, or something...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > "Caffe Flair"......  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294199943542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+