Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
2005 World Barista Championship Full Results
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2005 World...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:02am
Subject: Re: 2005 World Barista Championship Full Results

malachi Said:

they're not saying you cannot make espresso with anything other than 9BAR and they're not saying they will mark you down if you change the pressure.
they're saying that, in order to make the competition possible they have standardized on one machine, one basket, one brew temp and one brew pressure. for logistical reasons, they do not allow you to change the pressure or the temp (there simply wouldn't be enough time to allow each barista to do so).
if you were to change the pressure to 10BAR you would not recieve a poor score - you would be disqualified.
this is not an espresso decision but rather a practical decision.

Posted April 19, 2005 link

Thanks Chris.  It can be explained like that and people have to follow the same rule in that competition.  I wonder that we may have a better competition for the perfect taste espresso only and everyone can do anything only to present with the best taste of their espresso.  What we have to do is to find out a way to do it.

The point can be this.

For making the best taste of espresso, one has to care of all the elements.  We use the blend which had been used for more than a hundred years.  For any reason, we believe that it gives better taste for the espresso.  No way to change it.

Another example, for the Illy beans, we can make the best taste from their beans under 9.5 bar, never from 9.0 bar.  It is not a problem of skills, but the right conditions for the brewing.

Concerning about the CBC, I know the coffee shop for the barista at round #2 and #3.  Their espresso is surely burnt.  What else?  I do not really know what to say about it.

I do not want to be unpolite to anyone.  But about the fact, what can I do with it.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Sutono
Sutono
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mirage
Drip: Fetco Extractor, French...
Roaster: Probat, Diedrich, Gothot...
Posted Wed Apr 20, 2005, 8:33am

pstam Said:

I wonder that we may have a better competition for the perfect taste espresso only and everyone can do anything only to present with the best taste of their espresso

Posted April 20, 2005 link

Peter,

Great idea.  When the competition is about how well a barista can consistently reproduce exacted motions, then it is important to have the machines calibrated equally.  

However, a more interesting competition would be one with real world implications - one in which the barista has to work in unity with the machine in order to produce the finest shot of espresso.  This is totally real world and truely tests the skills and art of the best baristas, because machines are constantly in a state of flux, and need to be tuned endlessly.  Very good idea, and I would like to sign my staff on to a competition like that!

A testement to the fact that calm seas do not a good captain make!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2005, 6:17pm

Sutono Said:

Peter,

Great idea.  When the competition is about how well a barista can consistently reproduce exacted motions, then it is important to have the machines calibrated equally.  

However, a more interesting competition would be one with real world implications - one in which the barista has to work in unity with the machine in order to produce the finest shot of espresso.  This is totally real world and truely tests the skills and art of the best baristas, because machines are constantly in a state of flux, and need to be tuned endlessly.  Very good idea, and I would like to sign my staff on to a competition like that!

A testement to the fact that calm seas do not a good captain make!

Tony,

I love your idea.

Let's make a competition here in this forum to competite the sales of the coffee drinks in terms of the following data collections.

That is, to collect the sales for the pure espresso, including "espresso", "ristretto", and their double forms (each counted as one); as well as the total sales for all kind of coffee drinks (only coffee, not any other soft drinks).  And then, make the calculation as the ratios of sales for espresso to all coffee drinks.

Here is our data list:

"One of the evidence to see the quality of your espresso!"

Peter

PS.  Since the original info about the data is not related to this thread and I cannot cancel this post, I removed it from this post and refer the people to see above post.  Sorry for any trouble to others.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:40pm

pstam Said:

Here is our data list:

espresso                                14.71%

drip coffee                              30.53%

caffe latte                              13.43%

cappuccino                             15.88%

That adds up to 74.55% total, not 100%. Please explain.
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Apr 21, 2005, 5:09am

GaryH Said:

That adds up to 74.55% total, not 100%. Please explain.

OK.

The rest is the sales for other coffee drinks, like royal coffee, irish coffee, ice coffee and so on.

Among those, the Kaffa Ice Coffee is the most fantastic coffee drink, which is quite different from the normal ice coffee.

"Kaffa Cafe's coffee pictures"?LastView=1114085258&Page=2

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
Worldman
Worldman

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Thu Apr 21, 2005, 8:49am

pstam Said:

Here is our data list:

espresso                                14.71%

drip coffee                              30.53%

caffe latte                              13.43%

cappuccino                             15.88%

hmmm...if we do not count the drip coffee (and I think that we can all agree that ''drip people got no reason to live''), it can be said that Kaffa serves about 1/3 espresso of all espresso based drinks.

Len

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2005 World...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344976902008)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+