Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Clueless
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Clueless  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
scubadoo97
scubadoo97
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 3:39pm
Subject: Clueless

I know these tales have come up from time to time but I had an experience this weekend that went like this.  I walked into a coffee espresso bar in Panama City.  They had a beautiful 2 group  Nuova Simonelli  and Nuova Simonelli MDS grinder that looked like it had an empty doser.  Good sign.  So I asked the young lady, I am interested in a straight espresso, do you dose before you grind.  Sure she says.  Another good sign.  I ordered the double and she asked do you want that to go.  I said no it will only take a few seconds to drink and she turns and doses from the hopper without grinding.   Okay bad sign.  Turns and gives me a 4oz cup of black coffee.  Very bad sign.   I looked with disappointment.  Ahhh no crema and she says, we have cream do you want some.  I tried to explain that this was strong coffee and not espresso.   Well yes it is she says, it was made from espresso beans.  Clueless! It is very hard to being a coffeegeek.
 View Profile Link to this post
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Anfim Self
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Never
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 8:09pm
Subject: Re: Clueless

3 weeks ago I walked into the Santa Barbara Roasting Company. Nice ambiance, old brick walls, long patina'd bar. Bad sign: the two "baristas" looked verrry young (apologies, LedZep)(UCSB freshmen?). But I was on a road trip and didn't really want to ask too many questions, just wanted a double shot of modest quality and to get back on the road. STILL!!! It all happened waaay too fast and she gave me a 4oz. watery coffee in 14 seconds. I complained. Nicely. I was kind and I smiled winsomely. I gently suggested that she give it a harder tamp, as I had noticed that the first time around she merely waved the tamper in the direction of the pf. With sour attitude she breath-of-tamp'd again and pulled another 4 oz. in 16 seconds. Watery. Terrible. Spewable. I complained again. Nicely. Very nicely. Her response: "Well maybe you just don't like our espresso beans."

OK. Fine.

kathy

And that's a cold shot, baby...Yeah that's a drag
steamed
steamed
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Marzocco
Grinder: Mazzer, BNZ, Ditting
Roaster: Probat, Diedrich
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 8:29pm

scubadoo97 Said:

So I asked the young lady, I am interested in a straight espresso, do you dose before you grind.  Sure she says.  Another good sign.  I ordered the double and she asked do you want that to go.  I said no it will only take a few seconds to drink and she turns and doses from the hopper without grinding.   Okay bad sign.  Turns and gives me a 4oz cup of black coffee.  Very bad sign.  

Posted April 18, 2005 link

Interesting post. Super auto? I thought you just pressed a button with these and "everything" happened automatically. Why would she need a seperate grinder, it should be built in right? ;^)
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 3:51am

Thanks for catching that. Corrections made.
mikep
mikep
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Red Expobar OC / Gaggia...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/ Solis Maestro...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 7:07am

I have just figured that if the shot isn't good I just cut my losses and know for next time. I figure most 'baristas' in places like this are trained by someone who doesn't know good espresso, so a customer telling them how to do it differently isn't going to change things. At least in most places where the workers don't really care.

On the other hand- how awesome would it be to request to tamp your own as you produce your handy travel tamper?!

http://www.smallcoffee.blogspot.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
BigUncleAl
BigUncleAl

Espresso: QuickMill Eliane
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCI
Roaster: Freshroast+
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 8:52am

mikep Said:

On the other hand- how awesome would it be to request to tamp your own as you produce your handy travel tamper?!

Posted April 19, 2005 link

Taking it to an extreme...

Customer: Hi, can i get an espresso dopio for here please? My machine at home is on the fritz...
BaristaX: Sure thing! (turns to dose, snatching a portafilter from the driptray cover) Thats a double, right?
Customer: Hey, yeah, but only, could you use my ground coffee beans? They're fresh-roast...
BaristaX: (turns back) Hum? Erm...OK.
Customer: (hands over ziplock baggie of 36-hour-old fresh-ground) Cool. Oh, make sure you tamp with 20lbs pressure, that grind responds well to that pressure. Could you dry out that portafilter first? That'd be great.
BaristaX: .....
Customer: Is that a flat tamper? Lets just use this handtamp that I brought with me. Just... let me see that portafilter.
BaristaX: .... <grumble grumble> ....
Customer: Hey, don't whack the portafilter! Could you re-tamp that like I did, please? We can't have any channeling, now, can we? Thanks.
BaristaX: Sure, whatever.
Customer: (trying to be nice) Thats a pretty good machine your shop has there. I almost bought a used LM, but went with an E61 single-group dual-boiler rotary-pump plumbed-in with...
Customer: Stop! STOP! Its BLONDING!!
BaristaX: Time for you to go now.
Customer: But...?
BaristaX: Buh-bye. Leave. Now.

:)

BUA
espressoheadmo
espressoheadmo

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Pasquini Moka H
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:38am

...too funny...

unfortunately for the CG'er, that would be the truth...

all that effort, then being sent away... empty-handed...

Denny
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:48am

I really wasn't trying to give  her a hard time.  My wife said not every one knows what crema is.  Reality check, this is an espresso bar or so the sign said.  At least they should know what it is even if they can't produce it.
grouphead

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PIDed
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr, Solis Maestro...
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:29am

RistrettoBabe, did you actually time the shots? Just curious how you could tell a 14 sec from a 16 sec shot. That could be a pretty unnerving experience for a barista, having a customer hover over him with a stopwatch -- but probably they'd just think you're wierd.
parity
parity
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, La Pavoni...
Roaster: CO/SC
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 1:13pm

I've been disappointed too many times. So I only order espresso from places that I know has good espresso. What annoys me the most is when I get my espresso in a cold cup cappuccino cup. And its filled to like 3 or 4 oz. Another good one is when I was in this fancy over priced resturant and I guess they don't get too many orders for espresso or espresso based drinks. Because they seem to turn the machine on when they want to pull a shot and then turn it off. They seem to let it heat up long enough for the boiler to get warm (ie the light goes off). I warned my partner but she didn't listen. And what shows up...an over extracted espresso in a cold cappucicino cup. My other pet peeve is when they steam the milk too hot. But don't get me started on that. :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Clueless  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496473073959)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+