Espresso: General Discussion
2005 World Barista Championship Full Results
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2005 World...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 3:15pm
Subject: 2005 World Barista Championship Full Results

These are NOT OFFICIAL SCORES. The rankings are accurate, but the scores may contain errors.

Finals
1st place : Troels Overdal Poulsen, DENMARK : 790.0
2nd place : Hiroyuki Kadowaki, JAPAN : 771.5
3rd place : Salvatore Piccolo, CANADA : 758.5
4th place : Carl Sara, New Zealand : 756.0
5th place : Jonina S. Tryggvadottir, ICELAND : 726.5
6th place : Gunnhilde Seljenes, NORWAY : 705.5

Round 1 (top 6 advance)
Iceland : 756.5
Canada : 752.0 (or 732... hard to read)
Denmark : 728.0
Norway : 725.0
New Zealand : 719.0
Japan : 672.0

United States : 671.5
United Kingdom : 644.5
Estonia : 637.0
Lebanon : 613.5
Russia : 591.5
Korea : 590.0
Kenya : 586.5
Costa Rica : 578.5
Italy : 571.5
Sweden : 568.5
Hungary : 562.0
Cuba : 514.5
Greece : 541.5
Netherlands : 539.0
China : 538.0
Germany : 532.5
Australia : 528.5
Poland : 528.5
Switzerland : 522.5
Finland : 521.5
Guatemala : 518.5
Czech Republic : 503.5
Mexico : 491.0
Thailand : 478.0
Lithuania : 463.0
India : 460.0
Puerto Rico : 429.5
Ukraine : 417.0
Ireland : 398.0
Brazil : 538.5 (DQ)

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PureArabica
PureArabica
Expertise: Professional

Drip: Chemex, Chemex, Chemex
Roaster: GotHots
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 5:17pm
Subject: Re: 2005 World Barista Championship Full Results

Thanks for the update nick.
Nick
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 2:14am

There is a problem, indeed.

When I was talking with the organizer of the CBC for the North region fo China, we met a lady who do not know about coffee, but the arrangement for the activity.  I, in fact, am not quite sure whether I should ask the chief of that organizer or not about the judgement standards, or rules.

The problem is,

In their book, it was read that the pump's pressure must be at 9.0 bar and so on.  We are sure that we can make perfect coffee with 10.0 bar of the pump pressure.  But in that case, should we be gaven a low score for that reason only.  It means that the standard is the taste, or the procedure?

Can anyone explain it for me?

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 5:13am

I believe the choice of a single brew temperature and pressure is logistical. The competitors use the same group of espresso machines. During competition, all machines are in continuous use, so tweaking the settings to suit a given competitor's blend would be very difficult and lengthen an already lengthy process. I know some roasters reformulate their signature blends specifically to the agreed-upon competition temperature settings. While it may not represent some competitors' notions of a perfect environment, part of a being a great barista is adaptation to less than ideal circumstances. So to answer your question directly ("It means that the standard is the taste, or the procedure?"), the competition weighs both the in-cup result (e.g., taste, appearance, appropriateness) and the means by which it is produced (e.g., technique, presentation).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
michmoore
michmoore
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nothing yet
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: WearEver Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 6:10am

Here is a short article about the winner on MSNBC.
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 6:59am

HB Said:

I believe the choice of a single brew temperature and pressure is logistical. The competitors use the same group of espresso machines. During competition, all machines are in continuous use, so tweaking the settings to suit a given competitor's blend would be very difficult and lengthen an already lengthy process. I know some roasters reformulate their signature blends specifically to the agreed-upon competition temperature settings. While it may not represent some competitors' notions of a perfect environment, part of a being a great barista is adaptation to less than ideal circumstances. So to answer your question directly ("It means that the standard is the taste, or the procedure?"), the competition weighs both the in-cup result (e.g., taste, appearance, appropriateness) and the means by which it is produced (e.g., technique, presentation).

Posted April 19, 2005 link

Dan,

Does it mean that we may lose the game even if the taste of our espresso is perfect in case that we use 10.0 bar of pump pressure.  If the taste is the most important, which should be our purpose, we should win the game.  But, if we have to follow others requirements, we won't make it.

The required pressure is the conditions for necessary chemical transformation.  If not, one cannot compensate it with other ways.

I suppose that the more important is the taste, but who judge?

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
espresso_yin
espresso_yin

Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:42pm

Peter, I agree with you if you are starting with the assumption that this competition is purely about espresso quality.  But, as far as I can tell, it's not.  It seems to me, as an outsider, that these competitions are an opportunity for extremely dedicated and enthusiastic baristas to get together, show their stuff, and celebrate the process of making espresso.   Based on a post about the US championships (last year?) where it was said that Bronwen Serna produced the only good espresso, the actual quality of the coffee seems to me to be a minor concern.

Anyway, congrats to Sammy!  I am a huge Caffe Artigiano fan and, like many others here, was pulling for him.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 2:06pm

peter,
you're missing dan's point.
they're not saying you cannot make espresso with anything other than 9BAR and they're not saying they will mark you down if you change the pressure.
they're saying that, in order to make the competition possible they have standardized on one machine, one basket, one brew temp and one brew pressure. for logistical reasons, they do not allow you to change the pressure or the temp (there simply wouldn't be enough time to allow each barista to do so).
if you were to change the pressure to 10BAR you would not recieve a poor score - you would be disqualified.
this is not an espresso decision but rather a practical decision.

so... you just have to tweak your espresso to work best at the specified temp and pressure. not that hard.
GongfuCoffee

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 7:42pm

Peter, I think there is no absolute rule in espresso world, and even though taste is very important, it is quite variable because of individual experience.

This month I had a view on 2005's CBC in Shanghai and learnt a lot. It is worthy to send my barista to attend the future competition.

Wang
 View Profile Link to this post
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 8:18pm

Peter-
Yes, if you change the machine pressure, temperature, or otherwise make any sort of modifications to your competition machine, you will be DISQUALIFIED.

Your coffee may work best at 10bar, your coffee may brew best at 207.3F, but the machines are set for 9bar and 200F (give or take a degree or two).  You will have to learn to deal with the situation.  Meaning you may need to formulate a blend that will take advantage of the competition parameters.

Further, I am one who takes the position that if ANYONE from your "team" or country changes the parameters of a competition machine in ANY WAY, the competitor should be DISQUALIFIED, and the offending team member BARRED from the WBC for NO LESS than TEN YEARS.

And should a person make the same offense twice, that person should be BARRED FOR LIFE from the WBC and their national competitions.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2005 World...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337327003479)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+