Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Health Concerns with Espresso "habit"?
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Health Concerns...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mcgyver

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2006, 7:54pm
Subject: Health Concerns with Espresso "habit"?

Pros/cons to your health when it comes to coffee/espresso consumption?  I've heard it on both sides but want to hear your input.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jimmy_luv_coffee
Jimmy_luv_coffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:16pm
Subject: Re: Health Concerns with Espresso "habit"?

Well, many studies say the anti-oxidants found in espresso-based drinks help reduce the chances of cancer. Just be carefull not to take too much of a good thing: consuming more than 6-7 espressos a day can eventually lead to heart problems (not to mention the effect all that caffeine also has on your nervous system, but 8 espressos is still better than two big Tim Hortons coffees). Drinking anywhere between 1 and 5 espressos a day is the best (and I heard that such reasonnable doses of caffeine can actually keep your brain functions in shape, just don't go drinking a litter of Pepsi on top of that !).
mcgyver

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2006, 7:36am

"8 espressos is still better than two big Tim Hortons coffees). "  Jimmy dude...please elaborate..oh how can such be true (I don't do TH's) but what about the caffiene thing...am i missing the boat with the caffiene content of espresso or what.
mcgyver

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2006, 7:43am

© 2003 The American Society for Nutritional Sciences J. Nutr. 133:2812-2819, September 2003

---------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
Nutrient Requirements
Total Antioxidant Capacity of Plant Foods, Beverages and Oils Consumed in Italy Assessed by Three Different In Vitro Assays1
Nicoletta Pellegrini2, Mauro Serafini*, Barbara Colombi, Daniele Del Rio, Sara Salvatore, Marta Bianchi and Furio Brighenti

The TAC of alcoholic and caffeine-rich beverages and the ranking order for each assay are shown in Table 4. Among the beverages analyzed, coffee drinks were the most effective, regardless of the assay applied, with espresso having the greatest antioxidant capacity. The removal of caffeine from the espresso coffee led to a decrease in TAC values of 25–30%, likely due to the antioxidant capacity of caffeine (38). During coffee making, the roasting process leads to profound changes in the chemical composition and biological activities of the coffee bean, resulting in the generation of compounds derived from the Maillard reaction, carbohydrate caramelization and pyrolysis of organic compounds (39). In roasted coffee most polyphenolic compounds are destroyed, but Maillard reaction products with antioxidant properties are generated (40), resulting in an increased antioxidant activity in the ß-carotene-linoleic acid model system (39).

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/9/2812
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Sat Jan 21, 2006, 9:20am

Jimmy_luv_coffee Said:

<snip>...consuming more than 6-7 espressos a day can eventually lead to heart problems (not to mention the effect all that caffeine also has on your nervous system <snip>

Posted January 20, 2006 link

Care to back that up with some factual source material?  I would be interested to see some research, because that seems like a load of old coffee grinds to me....

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
peter_van
peter_van
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: V60
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 8:48am

I want to see a paper on the effects of espresso consumption on heart health... I haven't come across that one, and you don't give a source...

I find that there are too many conflicts of interest in the production of articles on coffee. Interest groups invest in the projects they may find most useful (Tea associations are known to help out researchers looking for the adverse effects, and the coffee associations help out papers being written with the positive health effects). It's all a bit controversial.

Often too, the papers with negative health effects (especially those released in past decades) did not tend to take into account that many people went out and smoked with their coffee, and this was the leading cause of many of the illnesses attributed to coffee, not the caffeine itself.

about.me? http://about.me/petervan
barista comps in canada? http://baristacanada.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:44am

A while back I remember reading an article somewhere (not here) about how espresso is worse for you than drip coffee due to the fact that the paper filter removes much of the oil that remains when brewing espresso.  Whether the oils are good or bad for your health is another things, but the article leaned towards them being unhealthy.  I will have to try and find it again but most people I see that drink either one do it after adding milk, cream, sugar, and all that other stuff that makes it less healthy anyway.
robncindy
robncindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky/Baratza...
Drip: Melitta/Bodum Columbia FP
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 5:51pm

This just happened to be a recent topic of discussion on another (non-coffee-related) forum I frequent. It's possible to find studies on both sides of the argument (and of course knowing who funded the study lets you know how big a grain of salt to take with it).

For practical purposes, I think what it comes down to are these two old cliches: (1) everything in moderation and (2) your mileage may vary.

A few references if you really want to read them:

Abstention from filtered coffee reduces the concentrations of plasma homocysteine and serum cholesterol—a randomized controlled trial

Coffee and disease: an overview with main emphasis on blood lipids and homocysteine

Coffee consumption and human health - beneficial or detrimental? - Mechanisms for effects of coffee consumption on different risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus

Coffee consumption, rheumatoid factor, and the risk
of rheumatoid arthritis

Coffee consumption and the risk of primary liver cancer

(I never realized that coffee was of such interest in Scandinavia.)

Cindy

Cindy

"In the West, you have bigger homes, yet smaller families; you have endless conveniences - yet you never seem to have any time. You can travel anywhere in the world, yet you don’t bother to cross the road to meet your neighbours."  -- the Dalai Lama
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2006, 8:18am

Quite interesting reads actually....

One thing I found interesting was that in almost every study I glanced over, is that while there was some "theory" or indicators that coffee might have some influence (positive or negative) on heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, etc, the same studies also mention that the results are sporatic, and may have as much to do with what gene pool you are swimming in and other outside influences.

In other words...while there is a lot of theorizing going on, there seems to be no proof one way or the other.   I wonder how much these guys get paid to do studies with no actual conclusion.  I need a job like that!

It is interesting to note that if you look at the work of low-carb and diabetes researchers, they also claim a direct link betwen blood sugar/insulin/blood chemistry and caffeine - i.e. - if you intake too much caffeine, it spikes insulin production, which triggers your body stores fat and go through changes your "normal" blood chemistry (i.e. cholesterol etc.), so while these studies are linking coffee to these changes, if could also just be the caffeine, and nothing to do with other coffee ingredients.  Strange these studies don't seem to be doing side-by-side decaf comparisons at the same time....does this seem just too obvious?

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
sidss

Expertise: Pro Barista

Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Jan 25, 2006, 5:06am

Well, I am no expert, but a few years back, when I was undergoing chemotherapy for brain cancer, the oncologists were very insistant that I completely  stop drinking any kind of coffee and tea while the treatment was ongoing. After about 18 monts, they said it was okay for me to resume my coffee and tea drinking again.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Health Concerns...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274640083313)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+