Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso Shrines
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Shrines  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 41 of 95 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2007, 10:22am
Subject: Re: attention moderators :)

Tex Said:

Oh yeah, shift the blame to us Seth. ;) I'd really like to see pics of what the typical CGer's coffee niche looked like before they spiffed it up for the beauty shots. Better still, let's have a contest for the filthiest and ugliest setups? Now those pics you could safely show to the spouse. Give everyone a week to submit their pics & then have a moderator setup a poll for us to judge the biggest swine? Enjoy!

Posted April 6, 2007 link

Well, I've since cleaned up my act, but in the beginning, I took serious note of this setup in the Central Valley of California, just North of the Taft oil fields. (Photo is actually the backside of the owner's postcard that he sent to me.)

Driven by a 38 h.p. steam engine, the grinder, (as I was told by the 93 year old , ex-oil worker barista), would throw grounds in "....every which direction!" His wife, a healthy 88 year old waitress, as he related, repeatedly warned him that "...........if you ever, ever bring that darn coffee contraption home, and I find it in the kitchen, you'll be found stiffer than the froth that comes out'a that 3" downpipe steam wand on your cart!!!" (At his age of 93 I was pretty sure she was refering to his entire body at room temperature!)

While I don't know what happened to Harvey the barista.......I did hear that he eventually moved his setup back home to their Bakersfield farm house. I believe he reinvested in a Gaggia Compact Super Auto?

Best, Al (....simply a mere conduit....and in response to Tex' most excellent suggestion that we share)    :)

alsterling: 1st espresso cart.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tex
Tex
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 1:06pm
Subject: Re: attention moderators :)

Well, while I've since cleaned up my act, but in the beginning, I took serious note of this setup in the Central Valley of California, just North of the Taft oil fields. (Photo is actually the backside of the owner's postcard that he sent to me.) Driven by a 38 h.p. steam engine, the grinder, as I was told by the 93 year old , ex-oil worker-barista, would throw grounds in "....every which direction!" His wife, a healthy 88 year old waitress, as he related, repeatedly warned him that "...........if you ever, ever bring that darn coffee contraption home, and I find it in the kitchen, you'll be found stiffer than the froth that comes out'a that 3" downpipe steam wand on your cart!!!" (At his age of 93 I was pretty sure she was refering to his entire body at room temperature!)

While I don't know what happened to Harvey the barista.......I did hear that he eventually moved his setup back home to their Bakersfield farm house. I believe he reinvested in a Gaggia Compact Super Auto?

Best, Al (....simply a mere conduit....and in response to Tex' most excellent suggestion that we share)    :)

I HAVE GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THOSE!

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 3:31pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Shrines

I love my Quickmill Anita and Mazzer Super Jolly:

TimEggers: coffeebar3.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 3:45pm

Tim........we've got overcast skies here in South Orange County, CA, and I'm sitting on the couch working the laptop. I read your "click here" items, and did the Mazzer. What a genius idea on removing the doser and using the soda bottle!!! I have been telling friends that it doesn't make sense to pay more or near equal for a doserless "anything", when for instance on the Macap, you can easily remove the doser and make a chute. But your approach resolves a bunch of doserless modification issues. Brilliant!

Best, Al

.........and I thought my ACME SEMI-AUTO GRINDER was a genius idea!?

alsterling: coffee grinder tech.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Member No.12047 - SCAA
JV
JV

Espresso: La Marzocco 2EE, Brasilia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mahlkoenig...
Drip: French Press
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 5:58pm

TimEggers Said:

Posted April 7, 2007 link

Hi Tim.  great setup.  Is that the Mazzer you repainted?  Looks awesome.   Hows the Anita treating you?  i bet it destroys your gaggia hahaha :)  nice tampers as well :)
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 6:51pm

alsterling Said:

Tim........we've got overcast skies here in South Orange County, CA, and I'm sitting on the couch working the laptop. I read your "click here" items, and did the Mazzer. What a genius idea on removing the doser and using the soda bottle!!! I have been telling friends that it doesn't make sense to pay more or near equal for a doserless "anything", when for instance on the Macap, you can easily remove the doser and make a chute. But your approach resolves a bunch of doserless modification issues. Brilliant!

Best, Al

.........and I thought my ACME SEMI-AUTO GRINDER was a genius idea!?

Thanks AL!  Yeah I loved your idea too!  

JV Said:

Hi Tim.  great setup.  Is that the Mazzer you repainted?  Looks awesome.   Hows the Anita treating you?  i bet it destroys your gaggia hahaha :)  nice tampers as well :)

Yup that's it!  The tampers are great too, the all stainless one is my favorite though!  The Anita is great!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
JV
JV

Espresso: La Marzocco 2EE, Brasilia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mahlkoenig...
Drip: French Press
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2007, 7:22pm

TimEggers Said:

Yup that's it!  The tampers are great too, the all stainless one is my favorite though!  The Anita is great!

Awesome.  I custom ordered 2 Reg Barb to fit my 18gram+ baskets (my favorite all around basket) that I ordered from espressoparts (i assume they are the synesso but i may be wrong)  I ordered the stainless steel C -Flat base and the Euro curve base and a tall brushed aluminum handle.  Reg Barb measured my basket and it is 58.5mm.   so it'll be a perfect fit :)  I wonder if an exact fit makes a difference...i'll find out when they arrive.   I guess i no longer need tampers haha.  (i have a reg barb wood short american curve as well...so ill be able to change pistons..woo hoo.  

alrighty i am ranting haha.  cheers
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2007, 10:22am

JV Said:

.............I wonder if an exact fit makes a difference...i'll find out when they arrive. I guess i no longer need tampers haha.  (i have a reg barb wood short american curve as well...so ill be able to change pistons..woo hoo......alrighty i am ranting haha.  cheers

JV, I recently received 2 new double baskets for my S1. When I bought the S1 last year, I also purchased an RB flat face SS with short wood handle and an extra PF. With both PF's I immediately noticed that the clearance between the tamper and the inside dimension of both baskets was much more than I had noticed with my earlier setup; an all stainless tamper and Expobar Pulsar basket. (58mm). Just recently I decided to deal with the tamper-basket misfit. (If in fact it really was a misfit?)

The reason I mentioned this is because the specific issue I had with the undersized tamper......or in this case, the oversized baskets, was that every tamp was accompanied by coffee grounds being blown up the sides of the basket; there was, in my opinion, too much clearance. I still got good extractions, but the mismatch bothered me.

When I called my machine supplier, they related that they had a different PF basket vendor when I bought my machine last year. They've since, evidently, gone to another vendor or maybe back to their earlier vendor. Point being, the variance in basket inside diameters was enough to be noted. I've now got 4 double baskets for the 2 PF's, and find that of all four baskets, only one is what I consider a good fit to my tamper. There's enough clearance to achieve a good, deep tamp, but not so much I've got grounds blowing up the sides.

Personally, I'm not convinced that a 53mm basket, as on the S1, is the optimal size. Something tells me that a larger effective area, as with the 58mm baskets, is more forgiving in the extraction setup. While it's a point of interest, the end results are evidently the same. And like so much in espresso, I've read opinion on both sides. I've also visited machine resellers who demo their new machines, and barely tamp the grounds at all? Go figure??!  I'm thinking it's all personal preference; certainly a question that could foster a new post.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2007, 5:27pm

TimEggers Said:

Jeebus, Tim, it's like your Gaggia was only a loaner machine.  I wish I could upgrade as quickly as you have.

But for now, Merely a piece of furniture as an upgrade.

Click Here (i11.photobucket.com)

Much better than taking up valuable kitchen space.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2007, 8:51pm

New and improved shrine.

mrgnomer: resized shrine.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 41 of 95 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Shrines  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42821097374)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+