Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I need a nice travel mug
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I need a nice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ppopp
ppopp
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 Doser/Stepless
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2007, 11:50am
Subject: I need a nice travel mug

Hi all -

I keep a stock of Dixie insulated paper coffee cups (with Starbucks-style lids, for lack of a better description) around the house for friends that want a latte to go.  I like to say I'm a full service coffee shop ;-)  Anyways, I find myself reaching for them more and more myself on the weekend when I'm out and about in the morning and want to take a drink with me.  They're quite nice, but wasteful, and I'm feeling guilty.  Does anyone have a nice travel mug that they like, 12 oz. or so.  Don't necessarily need a handle, but not opposed to one either.  I'm not really sure what I want, because most of the travel mugs I see just don't appeal to me.  Something about the plastic lid turns me off, I guess.  

Anyways, I would like to know what you guys use.

Peter

------------------------------------------------------
Know beans, know coffee.  No beans, no coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Tex
Tex
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2007, 8:26am
Subject: Re: I need a nice travel mug

ppopp Said:

Hi all -

I keep a stock of Dixie insulated paper coffee cups (with Starbucks-style lids, for lack of a better description) around the house for friends that want a latte to go.  I like to say I'm a full service coffee shop ;-)  Anyways, I find myself reaching for them more and more myself on the weekend when I'm out and about in the morning and want to take a drink with me.  They're quite nice, but wasteful, and I'm feeling guilty.  Does anyone have a nice travel mug that they like, 12 oz. or so.  Don't necessarily need a handle, but not opposed to one either.  I'm not really sure what I want, because most of the travel mugs I see just don't appeal to me.  Something about the plastic lid turns me off, I guess.  

Anyways, I would like to know what you guys use.

Posted July 24, 2007 link

I have two types that I prefer. For the boat & RV I use ones with severely sloped sides & rubber bottoms. For other uses I use this one I got from a promotion company trying to get some business from me. It's S/S, can't be put in the dish washer, & I've had to epoxy the handle back on - but for some reason it's the one I reach for all of the time/

Tex: travel mug 01.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
peter_van
peter_van
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: V60
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:21am

Ooh! I have the perfect one for you! Well, it has a lid, but, most of them do.

Get the Nissan Stainless Tea Traveller. It's 10 oz to the internal line and is double walled stainless steel for the best insulating properties. There's no handle, and it's sleek/sexy. You can completely seal it too, so if you have to drink later, you can throw it in a bag and not worry about it. They run at about $30 CDN, so you can probably find it in the states for $20-25. I know several people who have one, some on my recommendation, and they love it!

Amazon has it.

Hope this helps!

about.me? http://about.me/petervan
barista comps in canada? http://baristacanada.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KeenBean
KeenBean
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2007, 6:38am

No, no... I have the perfect one for you!  :)

Actually, I really, really, really feel strongly about this subject, as I have been traveling with my coffee on a daily basis for at least the past 4 years when I stumbled across this one.  Starbucks actually used to sell them, but stopped for some reason (maybe because they too charged $30 for the mug).  I have since bought 6 of them, for the same purpose as you mentioned in your post - to allow people to take a coffee to go.  

Of course, that is under the condition that I'll get it back - but it's an amazing mug that is spill proof, leak proof and has kept a coffee of mine nice and warm for at least 4 hours.  Not that it should take me that long to drink a beverage, but it just speaks to the quality of the mug, that it is that well insulated.  

Amazon has it as well (for $20 US)   However, I would strongly suggest you go to Costco (hopefully you're a member) as you can get a mug and a tumbler of the same design, for about $19.00 US.  That's why I bought 3 sets, and now have 6 mugs...

Peterthepiper's got a sleeker and sexier mug - that is true.  I guess I'm kinda all about the utilitarian design, and the carabiner handle that can be clipped onto anything else you may be carrying at the time.  

KeenBean
IronBarista
IronBarista

Espresso: Ginsu Silvia
Grinder: Ginsu Super Jolly & Rocky
Vac Pot: Ginsu Nada
Drip: Ginsu Melitta (pourover)
Roaster: Ginsu Behmor
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2007, 8:47am

My wife got me this one.  Absolutely love it!  In fact, she got one too.  Doesn't leak and keeps the coffee hot.

I drink espresso so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso,
so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso...
KeenBean
KeenBean

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2007, 9:02am

But where is it's carabiner?  :)

Looks slick!  Happy commuting with your new portable digs!
lschwarcz

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Chemex, Press Pot &...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 & Poppery II
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007, 7:50am

IronBarista Said:

My wife got me this one.  Absolutely love it!  In fact, she got one too.  Doesn't leak and keeps the coffee hot.

Posted August 2, 2007 link

Cook's Illustrated liked that one along with this one:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Personally, I have this one that I bought at Peet's Coffee & Tea:

Click Here (avantro.com)

I've found the removable base to basically be useless. But, for drinking coffee in my car I've found it to be great. It keeps my coffee plenty hot and is easy to use and to clean.

Good luck,
Larry.

Blood Donors save lives! It's fast and easy. Find a local center where you can donate.
http://www.redcrossblood.org/
WilsonHines
WilsonHines
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema 2 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos Electric
Drip: Saeco Venus
Roaster: Intelli, Crema Roaster...
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007, 8:23am

From the point of view of a former trucker!

Whatever you buy, IT MUST, at all cost have a stainless inside - or better, GLASS.  I haven't seen a glass lined thermos in years, but it is the very best method to keep the taste of the thermos or mug out of your coffee.  

I drove a truck for 15 years and the "search for the perfect mug" was on going.  The very best mug I ever found was stainless inside and out and was made by Thermos for Caterpillar Engines.  I never saw another one like it, even from Thermos.  The vibration in the truck eventually broke the seal on the insulation and it finally became unusable.  

Click Here (thermos.com)
That is the link to some units that are stainless inside and out, browse their site, they have some good stuff.

If your looking a travel press, bodumusa.com has some of those too.  Stay away from the acrylic.

---------------------
Wilson Hines
Mt. Olive, NC
http://wilsonhines.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilsonhines/
Faema S87 2 Group
Mazzer Mini
Espresso Craft Tamper
Bodum Press
KitchenAid Pro Line Grinder
Saeco Venus
Intelli, CCC, Crema Roasters (Cary, NC)
tlo

Espresso: VBM DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Mazzer Mini,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:04pm

KeenBean Said:

Amazon has it as well (for $20 US)   However, I would strongly suggest you go to Costco (hopefully you're a member) as you can get a mug and a tumbler of the same design, for about $19.00 US.  That's why I bought 3 sets, and now have 6 mugs...

Posted August 2, 2007 link

Thank you KeenBean for sharing this info.  The local Costco here in Richmond, BC brought a batch of the twin packs in for CDN $21.23!!!!  I bought two sets.  They are very nice looking, well made and well insulated.

Thanks again.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I need a nice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312869787216)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+