Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso and butter?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RyanPalmer
RyanPalmer
Expertise: Pro Barista
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2007, 10:04am
Subject: Espresso and butter?

Click Here (food.yahoo.com)

I wonder if this will catch on, but it sounds a bit too much for me.

Ryan Palmer
RP Consult (cafe consulting)
9bars.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2007, 10:24am
Subject: Re: Espresso and butter?

]

RyanPalmer Said:

Click Here (food.yahoo.com)

I wonder if this will catch on, but it sounds a bit too much for me.

Ryan Palmer
RP Consult (cafe consulting)
9bars.com

Posted September 30, 2007 link

Personally I feel that people like to put cream in coffee for the creamy richness it provides.  Butter would multiply that effect in a big way.  Next time I do a Brikka I will try it.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Coffee_Cigarettes

Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2007, 1:33pm

People will drink half and half in their espresso, i suppose butter isn't too much different.
 View Profile Link to this post
NathanaelG
NathanaelG
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: I wish...
Grinder: Much needed...
Vac Pot: Nope.
Drip: Just a Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Someday...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2007, 5:00pm

Hmm... May be trying this Tuesday when I go into work.
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean

Espresso: "Beauty"  (the gentle and...
Grinder: Gi-normous Rossi RR45; 100...
Vac Pot: Have my eye on a Yama
Drip: French press purist, have a...
Roaster: Hairdryer and a wire whisk....
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 6:15am

Well in today's episode of Bean's Experimental Kitchen....

Took a generous 1/2 tsp of Plugra brand unsalted eurpoean butter, and dropped it into a demi.

Added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, a broken-up star of dried anise, and a clove.

Popped it in an oven at about 200 degrees and let it sit roughly 15 minutes, so that any fat-solubles would dissolve out into the butter.

Prepped the shot of Mayorga Espresso Suave, a medium-roast "milk chocolate bomb" type of blend.

Retrieved the demi, stirred vigorously, removed the clove and chunks of anise.

Added a heaping demi-spoon of brown sugar, and stirred it with the melted spiced butter to form a warm syrup.

Pulled the shot on top.
----

So what does butter do for espresso? It adds a certain softness and richness to the texture.  It's actually quite nice.  The spiced syrup was a nice enhancement to the flavor.

I think if I were to do this again, or if you were  to try, reduce the butter slightly- this was a little -too- rich for me; a little bit of overkill. Maybe using just a pinch less would have created a shot just rich enough to be yummy without the negative points.

Sadly, the shot itself was not a fantastic, it blonded at 23 seconds and I stopped the pour early. The spicing and sugars saved it.

And now, after a word from our sponsors, we're gonna go back and...

and clean the kitchen. :\
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RyanPalmer
RyanPalmer
Expertise: Pro Barista
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 9:18am

Maybe next time you should try clarified butter, and maybe trying some atomized cocoa. I am thinking of using some cocoa butter, thats my type of butter. You can find some real nice ingredients here:

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/index.html

I have also been itching to try some Indian spices as well.

Ryan Palmer
RP Consult
9bars.com
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean

Espresso: "Beauty"  (the gentle and...
Grinder: Gi-normous Rossi RR45; 100...
Vac Pot: Have my eye on a Yama
Drip: French press purist, have a...
Roaster: Hairdryer and a wire whisk....
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 9:56am

Oh man, that's the kind of website that could drain my lottery winnings, If I ever did win.

Atomized cocoa. What an excellent idea!

And yeah, maybe next time we eat our delicious local Maryland Blue Crabs, I'll clarify some butter and reserve a bit for espresso play.  But it's a bit much to try to clarify half a teaspoon of stuff for one shot in the morning. :) Good suggestion, though.

Ryan, as to indian spices, I looked around for my cardamom pods to throw in the brew but it seems I've used them up.  In the past, I have pulled shots on top of the seeds (wasn't thrilled with the flavor blending) and infused lightly sweetened macchiato milk with their flavor (in my opinion, a much more elegant combination).  

~tMb
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 2:08pm

Clarified butter (AKA Ghee) will keep for months in your fridge.  A month with no refrigeration is no sweat. I used to use it for long backpacking trips. It's tasty and takes high frying temps well.  Got to get all the foam and white bits out though, so I clarified it multiple times.  Make yourself a batch

BTW, The commercial products available in indian food stores smelled like blue cheese so I skipped them.

Cardamom and coffee is a common combination in many cultures.  Cardamom has a mood elevating effect, (hence its use in danish pastries) but watch out if you have anxiety problems.

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453292131424)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+