Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Target brand Cup of Excellence beans!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Target brand Cup...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Azehn

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 9:51am
Subject: Target brand Cup of Excellence beans!

I was in Target and happened to walk past the coffee aisle and thought I'd have a look just to see what was there and was a little surprised....

Target brand (Archer Farms) Bolivia Cafe Monterrey Cup of Excellence beans!

Nothing about roasting date and I didn't buy any so can't comment on how good it is.....but at the very least this seems promising in terms of awareness of quality coffee going more mainstream - although I guess Starbucks and their premium brands are doing similar things.....(Archer Farms) is the Target "premium" in store food brand.

AZ

Azehn: TargetCupofEx.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 10:01am
Subject: Re: Target brand Cup of Excellence beans!

Cool!  There have been a few of those over the past year from what I gather.  There was another discussion about this here: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/401978

-Paul
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Azehn

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 10:17am

Interesting....I should have checked for the earlier thread.....

Some Target stores have fresh(ish) fruit and veg now so in theory there seems no reason why they couldn't have freshly roasted coffee delivered weekly.....not that I expect them to do it any time soon as %99.8 of people have probably never even heard of coffee roast dates....

AZ
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 2:55pm

I am still working through a 12 oz. bag of Ethiopian Virgacheffe I got last week from Target, and it's pretty good too.  A lighter roast, mild with fruit and flower tastes, but surprisingly holds up well for a cappuccino too.  I still find myself drinking more of it as straight espresso though.

I was in Target just today, and noticed they move the 'older' beans to the top shelf and put them on clearance, so they really do try to keep a relatively fresh stock.  Though no roast dates on any of their stuff.   I'll be trying more of Archer Farms varieties, for sure.   But first, I'm pining for a kilo of Black Pearl from CC, gotta try that!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Wed Jun 23, 2010, 7:47pm

For inexpensive beans they are not bad at all. I bought... forget which one. It was pretty decent. One of theirs, again, I forget which, and not one of the Cup of Excellence ones actually got a decent rating in coffeereview.com

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010, 1:58pm

I thought I'd give this a shot (pun intended). The coffee has a satisfaction guarantee, so there's no risk.

Best by date was 15 Feb 2011, with a code underneath it of 49500. The insert promises flavors of plum, cherry, & spice; crisp & balanced acidity; floral, jasmine aroma.

What I got using a clever coffee dripper with 18g coffee and 300g water was mild, sweet, and generally unremarkably pleasant. Definitely no fruits or spice. Aroma was similarly unremarkable.

Pulling a shot resulted in a slightly astringent cup with high brightness, but again, no forward fruits but a background sweetness. Crema was weak and lacking.

Considering the care that likely went into producing a #3 COE coffee, it is a disappointment that either (1) the coffee was roasted improperly or (MUCH more likely) (2) it had gone stale on the shelf. If the best by date is 9 months after roasting, it was roasted 3 months ago. I called the Target customer service people to see if I can find out how to decipher the roast date - they will call back and if they tell me I'll post it here.

I got my money back from Target, so no monetary loss. But still a disappointment.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010, 2:19pm

I purchased the #2 Colombia Bellavista and the #17 Costa Rica El Cedaral COE in the past from Target/Archer farms and did like what I tasted from these beans. The roaster is Coffee Bean International and they do have a good reputation in the industry.  I saw two versions in My local Target -  the #3 Cafe Monterrey with a 91.62 cupping score and #18 Cafe Flor de Mayo with a 85.24 cupping score from the 2009 auction.  I agree the inclusion of a roast date would be nice, but I would have bought some any way if I did not already have some good beans from the 2009 Bolivian auction.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010, 2:10pm

Got an email back from Target. It said the roasting date is 1 year prior to the best-by date. That will give us a good idea of how fresh they are in the future.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 3:32pm

My wife picked up some archer brand beans at target.  They were on clearance plus a coupon so it was like $5/bag or maybe less.

It was outstanding.

Not as good as the local roaster, but for the price I was very very happy.  

Alas they only have ground coffee now, so we picked up a bag of starbucks.  It is so bad I don't know what we will do with it.  I literally could not drink it.  Sour and nasty. I rarely pour shots down the drain but Starbucks is that bad.
Flori

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 9:01pm

thanks for sharing this. will definitely try it out and see what it offers.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Target brand Cup...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257098197937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+