Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My impression of VST/Pullman Tamper
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My impression of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bure82

Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012, 1:23pm
Subject: My impression of VST/Pullman Tamper

So recently i got the VST/Pullman Tamper straight from VST.  They had a sale but when you add up shipping, it is still quite expensive.

First impression is that it is lighter than i thought it would be.  Espro still heaviest then comes my Reg and Pullman is the lightest of them all.  The base is really nicely polished, not as thick tho.  It fits pretty well in the VST basket, so tight that it's hard to twist and polish my puck.  Only thing i dont like is that the rubber pad on top of the base is totally a dust magnet.  No matter how much you wash it, there will always be dust on that

It is nice but I dont think i would pay that price to get another one in the future.  Reg would do me enough being a bit less expensive
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: My impression of VST/Pullman Tamper

bure82 Said:

...  It fits pretty well in the VST basket, so tight that it's hard to twist and polish my puck.

Posted February 1, 2012 link

We can file that under:
"Doctor. It hurts when I do this.."
"So don't do that."
No reason to polish after tamping. Does no good at all. Can damage puck which is bad.

You should stop now.. even BEFORE you need glasses!  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dodge1
Dodge1
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Thu Feb 2, 2012, 4:48am

The mantra I adhere to is just like the one that Scotty Callaghan uses, as illustrated in this clip Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Heather Perry also does a very light polish but I think the key here is consistency and what the end product tastes to you.

FYI, the best tamper fit for a VST basket measures 58.35 mm +/- 0.05 mm and has a flat base.   Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 2, 2012, 6:26am

So because Scotty bangs his PF 4 times to clean it, do you too?
Because Scotty plays that funky music, is that mandatory?
All I am saying is do what works for you. For the most part, I would say that mucking with the puck more than need is not a positive thing. If "polishing" works for you, by all means do it but it will not really make much of a difference in the cup if any, in a comp, there is a lot of showmanship involved that is not mandatory to good coffee making.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Dodge1
Dodge1

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2012, 4:27am

If the fines in my basket are really feisty I might bang it more than 4 times and I donít know if you consider Stairway to Heaven funky but I find it goes nicely with espresso.

FYI, in case you didnít get it by now Iím joking.  I donít bang my basket and I didnít learn squat from Scotty as I was doing ~ the same routine for the last year but as you so eloquently put it ďdo what works for you.Ē
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2012, 4:59am

frcn Said:

No reason to polish after tamping. Does no good at all. Can damage puck which is bad.

Don't take other people's word for it. Buy a bottomless PF then polish, nutate, thump, distribute to you hearts content. I suggest you do it all.

The only way to find out what works is to first find out what doesn't.

You're not cutting a diamond here, it's just coffee.
bure82

Posted Fri Feb 3, 2012, 7:03am

i do a light polish so i dont think it's going to damage the puck all that much and ya i know it wont really improve my shot
gregpullman
gregpullman

Espresso: Expobar Minore III
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop B&P, redundant Gene...
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:42pm

bure82 Said:

So recently i got the VST/Pullman Tamper straight from VST.  They had a sale but when you add up shipping, it is still quite expensive.

First impression is that it is lighter than i thought it would be.  Espro still heaviest then comes my Reg and Pullman is the lightest of them all.  The base is really nicely polished, not as thick tho.  It fits pretty well in the VST basket, so tight that it's hard to twist and polish my puck.  Only thing i dont like is that the rubber pad on top of the base is totally a dust magnet.  No matter how much you wash it, there will always be dust on that

It is nice but I dont think i would pay that price to get another one in the future.  Reg would do me enough being a bit less expensive

bit late to the party here sorry... Re the weight, it's definitely lighter, by design. You may or may not have noticed it's also balanced. Both were criteria for the high-volume, high-precision commercial work it's designed for, as the beta testers found this was more comfortable and reduced wrist strain in high volume work, particularly for those who like to invert the tamper and bang the portafilter with the top of the tamper. It's cheap and easy to make a bottom-heavy tamper because stainless steel (popular for bases) is heavier than aluminium or wood (popular for handles), so most manufacturers take that option. To get it light and balanced while still retaining those materials was no mean feat and means a heap more machining than in most other tampers. That's one reason it costs more.

At the end of the day each individual is different so one product won't suit everyone. Nor am I saying that bottom-heavy automatically means cheap and nasty, I'm not. But don't be under any misconceptions there's anything intrinsically inferior about this tamper just because it's designed to be balanced and lighter. It's been designed to a demanding specification to suit the top end of the market, with minimal consideration given to the cost required to meet that spec.

Greg
marko16

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: French press only
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 1:42pm

I had a cheapy tamper that fits so well I really got lucky and saved some $$.  I like it, but man I hate how it clings to the fines no matter how hard I hit it and I usually have to sweep it loose with a finger.  Nothing in this world comes without a tradeoff.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My impression of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292231082916)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+