Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Sometimes, you eat the bear...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Sometimes, you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 9:17am
Subject: Sometimes, you eat the bear...

And, as they say, sometimes the bear eats you.

The bear, in this particular case being a naked PF for the Ellimatic, that I got from fellow CG'er Ben Piff. It showed up yesterday, so naturally, when I got home after work, I decided that, despite it being somewhere later than I usually drink espresso, I would let my curiousity get the best of me, as the Ellimatic doesn't normally get fired up during the week (not enough time in the morning, even if I did have it on a timer, to pull a couple of shots and clean up afterwards without getting up substantially earlier than I like, so weekdays are Brazen brewed coffee at home and Caravel shots at work).

I approached the whole process with a certain amount of trepidation, as I had a number of factors working against me. First, I've never used a bottomless PF before, and don't have huge confidence in my prep and dosing technique, as it's all been developed pretty much in isolation, based on web reading, and mostly on a pair of Caravels, which are incredibly forgiving.

Second, I'm at the end of a bag of Chris Coffee's Black Pearl espresso blend (which I will definitely get again the next time I have to order anything from CCS - it's tasty) and it's closing on two weeks old, maybe a little over. I know from reading on teh intarwebs that bean freshness can have a major impact on the quality of a bottomless extraction.

Third, Ben sent it with a triple basket, and I've got the grinder dialed in for a 14.5 gm dose of the Black Pearl in the fairly shallow Elli double basket, and upping the dose 50% would surely require dialing it in all over again. I solve this problem by swapping to the Elli double basket in the bottomless.

Lastly, I'm some combination of distracted and fumble-fingered in prepping the shot and catch the edge of the canning funnel I use for dosing from the scale to the PF on something as I'm pouring in the coffee and about a third of the dose hits the counter top. Hating to waste coffee, and having just cleaned the countertop, I swept the spillage back into the dosing tray I weighed it in, shrug my shoulders and dump it in the portafilter with the rest of the coffee. Light tamp with fingertips on the tamper edges to level, shake off any lose grounds, final tamp, lock and load. Moment of truth time - I push the button.

Looks just like one of the espresso pr0n videos. Very even, settles quickly to a nice cone, good striping, a little fast (24 second pour), but no flow problems, and cut just as it starts to blonde. "impossible," I'm thinking. How could this be? Beginner's luck? It probably just looks good and will taste horrible. I take a sip. Tastes a lot like the shots I was pulling over the weekend and last week on the Caravel - chocolate and orange citrus overtones with a nice balance.  Nice.

So, throwing caution to the winds, I pop in the triple basket, just for the heck of it, figure I'll just go for the 21 gram stated capacity of the basket, grind, weigh, dose, tamp, pull. Again, just a hair quicker than I wouild necessarily have liked (hey, the coffee's getting old), but very even extraction, beautiful cone, no spritzers, no gushers, no multiple streams, and this one is one of those almost all crema shots. If only I'd had the confidence (or lack of shame) to set up the camera. Delicious.

So, sated with bear pie, I figured I'd quit while I was ahead for the night (and also because three shots of espresso at 6:30 p.m. would probably disrupt my sleep) and get back to this part of the adventure on Saturday morning. When I promise to have the camera set up so I can thoroughly embarass myself when it all goes horribly wrong.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 9:32am
Subject: Re: Sometimes, you eat the bear...

George, CONGRATS!!!!!

I have a very strong feeling that these will very soon become the "normal" shots for you and the new round of tweaking will begin!! LOL!!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 11:45am

awesome George!  That's a great story.

I suspect you have no reason to doubt your dosing and distribution techniques, considering...1) you've been doing this a long time and if your technique was bad, you'd have noticed it in the cup; and 2) now that you've pulled a couple of great shots with your new pf, you've shown yourself you had no reason to worry in the first place.

I use my bottomless pf all the time.  Partly because it shows me right away when I need to fine tune my grind, but more so because I just love watching the extraction!  As you've already found out, you can use any basket you want in the bottomless pf.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
GVDub

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 12:12pm

emradguy Said:

I suspect you have no reason to doubt your dosing and distribution techniques...

Posted November 6, 2012 link

My "distribution technique" consists of timed grinding into the doser, brushing out the chute, flipping the lever till the chamber's clear, weighing the previously tared, now filled dosing tray, dumping it in the PF using the canning funnel to avoid spillage, something that might be called a modified Stockflieth's if I were being extremely generous, then tamping. Seems like all that fiddling between the burrs and the PF does something that works. Also seems much less formal than some folks routine, from what I read.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 12:13pm

George, doin' 'spro ain't like Antares Auto Tune, set it and forget it! LOL

However, sounds like you (in typical fashion, which is why we like you) understated your Home Barista qualifications.
First off, so cool that PF works, and your bud was a GREAT friend to have that for you.
I'd be bouncing off the walls with a 21 gram triple. i so used to the Cremina's 15 gram doubles, and 10 gram singles.

Glad you were able to sleep.
Enjoy that setup. I do envy you, having 2 Caravels whilst I have NONE.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
GVDub

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 12:23pm

IMAWriter Said:

I do envy you, having 2 Caravels whilst I have NONE.

Ah, but you have a Cremina, and I have none (and unlikely to at current prices, barring one of those legendary yard sale/thrift store finds). So don't feel too bad.
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 11:25pm

I wish I had your luck.

First time I tried using a bottomless portafilter, it was on a 16 gram dose.. Extraction time was about right, 2 oz in 24 seconds (Or so I think?) but there wasn't any cone at all..
Just lots of dripping everywhere, but no spritzing. When I finished the shot and removed the portafilter, I couldn't see any signs of channelling in the puck..

I should probably take more videos and get some opinions....

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 7:09am

I would try upping the coffee dose and loosen the grind a little.
Edit that comment was suposed to be aaimed to above not the op, sorry!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:32am

GVDub Said:

My "distribution technique" consists of timed grinding into the doser, brushing out the chute, flipping the lever till the chamber's clear, weighing the previously tared, now filled dosing tray, dumping it in the PF using the canning funnel to avoid spillage, something that might be called a modified Stockflieth's if I were being extremely generous, then tamping. Seems like all that fiddling between the burrs and the PF does something that works. Also seems much less formal than some folks routine, from what I read.

Sure, you don't fiddle much once the grounds are in the basket, but that's still quite a bit of fiddling before hand.  My technique is not all that different from yours, only slightly more simple as I skip a couple of your steps...both of my grinders have dosers as well. I thwak the grounds through as they come out of the chute, right into my pf (rather than letting them sit in the doser).  Then I level off with my index finger, pressing down as little as possible (something between a NSEW and Stockfleths, but much more random as I adjust based on where I managed to get the peaks and valleys), then I tamp as even as possible, just until I feel some resistance in the puck (probably about 20#). At this point I'm read to "lock and load" on the group. Occasionally, I weigh my dose, but it's always 20g +/- 0.2g when I do, and that's good enough for me...but hey, whatever works for you!  Just between you and me, I think WDT is lunacy, except in extremely severe clumping cases. Oh, I brush out the chute at the end of each session.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Sometimes, you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327602148056)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+