Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I have become... a SNOB
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 4:06pm
Subject: Re: I have become... a SNOB

Almost a year to the day I joined... and I am only more of a snob now....  

I am so very very sad.  Anyway, only had one cappa this morning because of an appt.  Might have an afternoon cup just for fun!  I don't mind old threads, especially if they are mine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Laowai

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Eupa TSK 1819A
Grinder: Feima 600N
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 4:07pm

Yea, I've gotten to this point as well already.  Even old beans that are past premium, or grinding not in tune, or tamping was screwed up and resulted in blonding.... even making all the mistakes that result in a not-so-great pull.  It still tastes better than any of the crap they sell out there retail.  Even the absolute worst pulls I get will still have SOME crema.  I've been soldiering through a batch of beans I forgot about.  It's 2 months old.  It's sumiyaki and honestly not very good at all. It's stale and I have been using every excuse to get rid of it as fast as possible.  Starbucks drinkers have come over and I have unloaded it on them and they just want more of it.  I'm almost tempted to take a trek out into the world to remember what a bad cup of coffee tastes like.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 8:02pm

I recently purchased a cafe macchiato from a local in independently owned coffee shop which I recently discovered.

You know what happens when you leave a HX sitting for too long and then you pull a shot on it without flushing it? Well, now I know.

Yup.. I might as well have paid $3 to suck on some charcoal briquettes. Lesson learned I guess.

It took nearly every ounce of strength I had to not chew the barista out and tell them how to flush an HX machine before pulling a shot. The sad part is,
before I joined this forum, I would have puzzled as to why the coffee tasted so burnt and bitter. Now, I know exactly what the barista did wrong.

The sad part is, the shop had a Mahlkonig K30 Vario grinder sitting next to the machine. I figured if a shop is willing to buy a grinder that
expensive, the drink must taste good, right? Well, too bad for me.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:22am

there's a polite way to suiggest there may have been something wrong with your shot...and maybe the barista would have offerred to pull you another one?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 6:36pm

emradguy Said:

there's a polite way to suiggest there may have been something wrong with your shot...

Posted December 12, 2012 link

Heh. Of course, there is always a polite way. I'm just exaggerating. I probably should have just asked the Barista to pull another shot, but I'm actually quite polite in real life and wouldn't dream of it.
I'm more the type that just rants about it on a bulletin board or his personal blog and then lets it slide.

I'll probably go back there in a few weeks time and try again, but maybe just stick to milk drinks.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249863862991)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+