Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
2 weeks into new Gaggia Classic
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2 weeks into new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
eyetechie

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 6:14pm
Subject: 2 weeks into new Gaggia Classic

I'm not new to enjoying a great expresso, but new to learning the skill of brewing myself. Great progress in the past 2 weeks with new Gaggia Classic.  Bought 2 types of freshly roasted, freshly ground blends (Kiva Han House and Homer's Bland Expresso) from local supplier.  Shots were done at about 15 sec., watery, poor crema, taste not great.   Surely, the local supplier, who seems to know his expresso, would have ground the coffee fine enough.  Thought it must be my machine.  So, with great frustration, I finished the coffee that I had purchased.  In an emergency, to get me through until the next trip to supplier, I purchased Illy Medium Roast, Fine Grind Expresso.  What a difference!  25+ sec, beautiful crema and wonderful taste.  So, should I be happy with the Illy coffee, or am I missing something better? Is there another brand better than Illy, or is  it that much better and worth the effort to grind at home?    Great to have a place to go for discussion.  I find myself boring people with expresso talk.  I'm so excited about it, and I can tell by their blank stare that they don't get it,  so I have decided quit the expresso chatter, or I will have no friends. What's wrong with them anyway!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: 2 weeks into new Gaggia Classic

eyetechie Said:

or is  it that much better and worth the effort to grind at home?

Posted December 1, 2012 link

Yes, having also tried getting it ground while waiting to decide on and purchase a grinder.  Fresh is ground and used within 15 minutes.  Look around the forum, many have tried preground.

Good to hear all is working well.  You may want to consider a Baratza Preciso refurb from Baratza.com, or the Vario, depends on your budget.  The Preciso is about the minimum price for a finely adjustable grinder for espresso.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 9:33pm

Need a grinder and fresh roasted beans, Illy is already stale and not cheap either, so if you like that imagine fresh beans. In the other instance the place you were buying before wasn't pry grinding fine enough and ground coffee goes stale fast. I have the Preciso grinder as well, excellent for the money and acts almost step less for espresso there are so many adjustments.

Fresh beans and good grinder and you'll see a huge difference.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 9:52am

I'm glad you are excited! It is a fun and rewarding hobby.
A few things to nit pick though.

Fresh coffee is mandatory but you need a good grinder to grind the coffee with. You do not mention what grinder you have so it is a bit hard to say more than general comments but if the shots are too fast, grind finer.

Illy is stale a long, long time ago before you bought it. If you live next to the Illy roastery then I suppose you have a very good chance of getting it fresh but not so much when it has been through several wherehouses and has had a slow boat ride across an ocean. Fresh is two weeks from the day it was roasted, Illy spends that much time in a ship crossing the ocean and on the docks on each side.

Oh, and if you really want to blend into coffee circles, ....... there is no X in eSpresso ;D

Welcome to the board, read a lot and ask questions there is a lot to learn!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 9:10pm

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that you really should get a good grinder for a fine machine.

I have a gaggia and adjust my grind settings almost every day to make the machine run the way it should. There is no way other than pure luck to buy preground coffee and have it pull great shots from your machine. Each machine requires a different grind. Each bean also requires a different grind. I switched from Brazilian to Malabar in my Gaggia and had to make a huge adjustment in the fineness of my grind to get the shots to pull correctly.

You may be able to still get some use from your pre-ground coffee by using the pressurized baskets that came with your machine. But you'll be pulling much better shots when you grind your own and hand tamp it into the normal double basket that Gaggia supplies.

I used to drink a lot of Illy myself. I realized after a lot of experimentation that it's not nearly as good as fresh, freshly ground beans. I do like the Illy cans though....

Hope it works out well for you- You can make some great drinks with your machine.
eyetechie

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 6:27pm

6 weeks with my Gaggia Classic.  Learning a lot. e.g. how to spell Espresso (not Expresso).  Funny I never noticed that.
Thank you for not letting me embarrass myself forever.   Have tried 2 local suppliers and don't like the roast, grind is either too coarse or too fine and taste not that good.  I'm still using Illy. I think it tastes good.  Nice crema.  But, I think I'm missing out and a bit expensive.
 So, I am taking everyones advice and ordering a grinder. (Precisio???)  Advice on a good bean to start with?   Big difference if I roast myself?
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 6:44pm

You can finds lists of favorites on CG.  I like Redbird Espresso and Redbird Blue Jaguar.  Both are fairly easy to brew and the prices are good.  Delivery is usually 2 days after roast, USPS.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 8:46pm

You should definitely at least TRY to roast yourself. It's super simple and even starting out you can turn out some pretty great beans. A $5 second hand thrift store popper and a $6 bag of green beans is enough to get you started...and if you hate it you're really only out the price of the popper which you can probably sell easily to someone on the forum. Home roasting saves you about 50% of the price of roasted beans, plus you can roast whenever you want so you know you always have fresh beans (although about 5 days old is the best IMHO).

Buy a bag of roasted beans from a reputable roaster listed on this site- I'd recommend Redbird (or my local Vaneli's). Then you can roast your own and see how close you come to what they produced.
erichK

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:04pm

It would seem that going from buying pre-ground coffee to roasting as well as grinding your own is quite a leap.  We"ve been extracting our own shots and steaming milk for our own capuccinos fro a quarter century - the first fifth of that with a Gaggia, end never felt the need to roast our own beans.  However a decent *burr* grinder that lets you grind fresh beans fine enough for good expresso is essential.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 8:04am

Here is a thread for some online coffee roasters
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/blends/205809
Do a search and you'll find more. This ones a couple years old but still good sources.
 I was pretty new to this...hobby...obsession..?...  when I started roasting. I had green beans on the way and was still looking for a popper when I decided to drop by Espresso parts NW after work and just pick up a freshroast +8. I felt it took a lot of the variables out of something that was so new to me and I'm glad I did.
 You asked if there would be a big difference. Money wise yes there is a big difference as was said. As for whats in the cup, it takes most newbies no time to go way beyond what your getting with the Illy. A bit more practice to rival the online roasters. You have to ask yourself if that's something you want to make a part of your coffee regime. I knew right off I wanted to go there so I bought the roaster, if you're not so sure then you may want to start with one of the less expensive routes until you know. It can be as easy as a whirly pop on the stove - Sweet Marias sells those to, you might want to check out thier website for a wealth of information on the roasting subject.
 Well I've rattled on enough for now I believe, welcome and remember- enjoy the journey!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > 2 weeks into new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26637506485)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+