Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Wowing the european
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wowing the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:59am
Subject: Wowing the european

A lot of us have had a lot of fun entertaining and wowing people with good coffee. I remember the first time I had been wowed, it was at Cafe Italia in little Italy in Montreal about 26 years ago that my eyes were first open to the world of good espresso.  I take great pleasure in seeing people in my home drinking my coffee and having exactly that kind of moment. How often have we heard "OMG, this is the BEST cup of coffee I have ever had!".

I thought I would share a recent experience. I live in Golden BC, a kick ass little ski town with big terrain that attracts people from all over the world. In my opinion there is no good espresso in town but there is some decent drip. Anyway, a friend comes over for dinner and he brings a friend from switzerland. He pretty much immediately notices the espresso machine and later in the evening we get to talking. He has been very disappointed in canadian coffee however, he had not yet been to any of our great cafe's because it takes research to find them. It was a great moment of talking about the coffee culture in North America and how it differs from europe and especially how the the flavour preferences and roast profiles are different.

Then I pull a shot of Phil and Sebastian's Costa Rican for him. He sits down ready to appreciate and I watch him take his time and savour it. He asks for another and lets me know that this is the first proper espresso that he has had in Canada. It was like I had brought an end to his painful experience of coffee of canadian coffee. He loved it and said that the North American style flavour profile that we had discussed was evident.

I'm probably pumping my own tires here but I was really satisfied to provide a good introduction to the NA espresso style and to have it appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:22am
Subject: Re: Wowing the european

I don't know about wowing the european, but I wowed a neighbor one day.  After roasting about 5 pounds in my grill, I noticed my neighbor outside working on his yard.  I put about 1/2 pound in a ziplock bag and walked over and told him that I couldn't roast a bunch of coffee without giving my neighbor some.  

Well a few days later I heard some commotion outside ... he was working on a friends car and it rolled up and knocked him to the ground.  He was out cold for a very short time.  Quite a racket, his wife yelling at his friend, the neighbors gathering around.  He got up, looked around, said nothing and  walked straight over to me (I was about 20 feet away).  He came up to me and said, "Len, I could have walked from here to the other side of the United States and I wouldn't have had a better cup of coffee than yours."

I'll remember that for the rest of my life.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:50am

Great Stories!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:13am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Great Stories!

Posted February 3, 2013 link

It is really fun that the joy of coffee gets spread through us. I'm curious to hear more stories like Len's. Keep 'em coming!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wowing the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225801944733)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+