Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How often do you buy coffee when you are away from home?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How often do you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 4:42pm
Subject: How often do you buy coffee when you are away from home?

I have been making consistently good shots at home.  i recently had a chance to travel to Seattle, and I tried coffee in a bunch of places along the way - a couple of places in airports (not Starbucks), plus a few local Seattle places.  Since Seattle is such a mecca for coffee, i expected to be blown away.  However, I found the coffee I tried in Seattle to be over-roasted and pretty awful, actually.  I guess that is a regional thing.  The best coffee I actually had was a Peets in one of the airports along the way.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful.

Overall, I have found coffee away from home to vary in the range of <awful> --- <drinkable>  One exception is Houndstooth in Austin, which makes great espresso.  However, even "drinkable" is rare.  It is making me think it isn't worth buying coffee at all when I am travelling, because most likely it is going to be too awful to drink, and it is extremely unlikely to be "good"  I'm also amazed at how many super-automatics are out there.  Pretty much everyone seems to use them nowadays.  

I'm curious to see if other people have similar experiences.  Are you able to tolerate coffee you buy out in the real world?
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:34pm
Subject: Re: How often do you buy coffee when you are away from home?

Disappointment makes me avoid coffee in almost every circumstance when away from home. In a restaurant it will be tea after dinner. Even at a "good" cafe the question of the bean source determines ordering a shot or not.  Frankly, if what I am served does not come up to home standards I will not repeat the order.

Skylar
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 6:03pm

The fix your willing to accept is relevant to your addiction and how bad your Jones'n.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:42pm

Whenever I am away from home, I buy coffee . . .

Specifically, when I'm out of town -- and thus, away from my machines in home and office -- I'm seeking out cafés in which I can get my espresso fix.  In Seattle, there are a number of places I enjoy, including Vivace and from Café Vita's 5-group Bosco.  It's been a while since I was in Austin, so I can't comment -- but I couldn't find anything in Dallas.  Ditto New Orleans, but there I just go for café au lait.  

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I like the espresso at Monkey Forest Road (Oakland), Verve (Santa Cruz), as well as Four Barrel and Ritual (San Francisco).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 8:03am

There are a few ways to answer that:

I'm in a small town, espresso is terrible (except at home), so drip only. One place does a decent job.

On the highway traveling out, Tim Horton's. I will not sign it's praises at all but it is the one time I have cream and sugar in my coffee. Consistent crap so to speak. Even then there are a couple of places where there are good cafes that I will stop at. Those cafes know me and if I get the right barista, they try a bit harder for me. I enjoy that!

Major cities: I research to find the great cafes, make a point of going and this is my education. I really enjoy that!!
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:30am

I'll drink espresso in the few places I know do a good job in Cambridge/Boston.  Pourover in places around Cambridge, Arlington and surroundings that do it, and drip elsewhere.  I will drink the drip coffee on planes or in diners (although I won't go back if the coffee is too bad), or the airpot/boxes at meetings.  On the road, I'll drink diet coke or pepsi instead rather than have service plaza coffee (with an exception for the Dunkin' Donuts slightly coffee flavoured milkshakes in summer).
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:05am

I look for places when I am out.  If they have a good machine/grinder I will watch the baristas.  IF the seem to have their act together I will try one.  If I like it I will often pick up some beans.  It helps I am in the PNW and coffee is taken pretty seriously here.  Doesn't mean it is all good most coffee shacks suck around me.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:30pm

Coffeenoobie kind of hit on the head, just because you are going to an area where there are a lot of good coffee shops, still doesnt mean you are going to be able to go into random shop x and get good results. Sure your chance in Seattle might 1 in 50 as oppose to 1 in 1000 for another city but to get good coffee out you have to do a little research or judge the place when you step in and where its located.

Of course you could've researched and gone to places recommended here and thought their coffee was swill, it's a possibility.

Less water, more grounds.
Ccup
Ccup

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 3:36pm

I simply do not drink offee away from home. It is never good. Sad to see plaes pride themselves on making exeptional food but offee is just disputably disgusting lol
I roast and drink my own offee

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 3:47pm

I suppose that must explain Foster's . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How often do you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251095056534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+