Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Yet another thread about freezing roast beans at home
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Yet another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:55pm
Subject: Re: Yet another thread about freezing roast beans at home

CMIN,

I put my beans directly into the jars.  By putting your beans in bags, and then into jars, you added a layer of insulation, which may reduce the fluctuation of the air temperature around your bags when the freezer goes through defrost cycles.  To what degree, is unknown.

I am now placing my jars in insulated lunch bags.  I plan to get a second digital thermometer and keep it inserted into one of the bags, while I have the original thermometer monitoring the air temperature inside the freezer.  When I see a drop and subsequent recovery in the freezer air temperature during a defrost cycle, I will be able to compare the fluctuation to that of the insulated bag air temperature.  I'm hoping the air temperature inside the bags is much more stable than the freezer air temperature, which was the case when I did this test by opening and closing the freezer door.

I'll get another thermometer some time this week, and will let you know how it comes out.

My tongue is burned
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 5:15pm

Be interesting to know, I started using the zip bags in the jars as I had two different batches that seemed to go stale faster for some reason when I was just using the jars (pint size), I notice a lot of others were using the smaller ones (Ball Canning ones that are like 4-6oz or so) so with that little amount didn't have to worry about going stale quicker. Plus when I dose, I squeeze the air out each time and zip and put back in the jar, so far past couple months it's worked 100% well for me. I've got some Bali Blue and Nicaraguan right now, yum.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:53pm

I tried it again just out of curiosity. Followed all the rules and used sealed jar.Same results as the other two times ,I tried this once about 7 years ago...then 3 years after that.Ive never liked the taste once they are frozen
I dont think a bigger myth has ever been perpetrated into the coffee world and upon those who are prone to such non scientific methods of scrutiny.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CMIN

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:54pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I tried it again just out of curiosity. Followed all the rules and used sealed jar.Same results as the other two times ,I tried this once about 7 years ago...then 3 years after that.Ive never liked the taste once they are frozen
I dont think a bigger myth has ever been perpetrated into the coffee world and upon those who are prone to such non scientific methods of scrutiny.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

You seem to be one of the only ones that can't make it work from your other post, something is wrong or the beans sat too long, didn't you post before you waited weeks after roasting to try freezing or was that someone else? Sure your freezer is working right? I freeze right after taking delivery. 1 month out and taste same to fiance and myself, as well as friends, extraction times are about the same as well for same amounts. Can't just use any jars, mine for example are canning ones that have a two piece lid with a "seal" on the lid so its air tight, w/o the seal wouldn't work well or at all like with other jars or twist ones w/o the seal. Is that the seal jar you used and not a mason "seal" jar? Though I use zip bag inside each as well.

Verse storing in the cuboard same way in which the coffee goes flat/stale fast. If I noticed taste suffering I wouldn't bother lol.

Maybe you have insanely sensitive taste buds ;p lol
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:25am

The rule of thumb is if it makes a difference that you can taste, then don't do it!

I do not detect a difference so I do freeze..... YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:29pm

Listen heres the deal  1) There are many who think its fiction, in fact its a divided camp. 2) making it work ( Your kidding right )  Its not rocket science.
I think the problem for me is I only drink fresh coffee and I can tell the difference. If your only drinking average coffee or dont have a palette that can distinguish
good fresh coffee I see why its so confusing to you. Anything fresh will always taste better than something thats been frozen.But it is a subjective thing so if to you its better
then I would suggest you do it. But once again there is no scientific data to substantiate this.

CMIN Said:

You seem to be one of the only ones that can't make it work from your other post, something is wrong or the beans sat too long, didn't you post before you waited weeks after roasting to try freezing or was that someone else? Sure your freezer is working right? I freeze right after taking delivery. 1 month out and taste same to fiance and myself, as well as friends, extraction times are about the same as well for same amounts. Can't just use any jars, mine for example are canning ones that have a two piece lid with a "seal" on the lid so its air tight, w/o the seal wouldn't work well or at all like with other jars or twist ones w/o the seal. Is that the seal jar you used and not a mason "seal" jar? Though I use zip bag inside each as well.

Verse storing in the cuboard same way in which the coffee goes flat/stale fast. If I noticed taste suffering I wouldn't bother lol.

Maybe you have insanely sensitive taste buds ;p lol

Posted March 4, 2013 link

AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 6:33am

Iluvdabean Said:

But once again there is no scientific data to substantiate this.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

The guys on home barista did a very scientific blind taste test.  And several of those guys are professional tasters; I would trust their palates over mine any day.

Confirmation bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)  is a big factor here.  If you taste coffee you know was made from frozen beans, you are going to tend to think it tastes worse.  That's why a blind test is so important.

But here is another analogy to think about.  I don't know if this is appropriate, but it is something to consider.  If you make homemade bread, it goes bad in about a day because it has no preservatives.  If you make homemade bread and freeze it, you can keep it relatively good for a long time.  A slice of bread from the freezer is not as good as bread fresh from the oven, but it is a whole heck of a lot better than bread that is a week old.  

It may be the same with coffee.  Let's call coffee that is 3-4 days from roast "Excellent" and coffee that is 10 days from roast "Good"  Freezing coffee may be a way to keep it at "Good" for a relatively long period of time (few months).  It also may be a way to keep a large amount of coffee consistent - I know when I pull it out of the freezer that it is the equivalent of coffee 10 days from roast.  

The best possible option is to have a local roaster and buy coffee every few days from them so you are always drinking the freshest coffee possible.  But that's not an option for most folks.  Freezing seems to provide a very good alternative.
CMIN

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:00am

Iluvdabean Said:

Listen heres the deal  1) There are many who think its fiction, in fact its a divided camp. 2) making it work ( Your kidding right )  Its not rocket science.
I think the problem for me is I only drink fresh coffee and I can tell the difference. If your only drinking average coffee or dont have a palette that can distinguish
good fresh coffee I see why its so confusing to you. Anything fresh will always taste better than something thats been frozen.But it is a subjective thing so if to you its better
then I would suggest you do it. But once again there is no scientific data to substantiate this.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

Wouldn't say divided, look on here and HB and how many think it doesn't work vs does, you'll find waaaaaaay more support for working then it doesn't. And always post of people sticking just the bag, or normal twist jar, or mason flip lid jar etc and then posting why freezing sucks and wondering why it doesn't work, and then finally trying a real sealed canning jar in batches and saying oh hey this actually works lol. Even guys that were totally against it converted once they did it properly. Not science, but look at your previous post where you posted you went weeks out and then froze the beans, can't do that....mine get delivered and immediately broken in to batches and frozen.

I don't drink average coffee for whatever that means, all fresh roasted either from go-to roasters or not well known ones that are same/better then the go-to ones. I'd say my palette is good considering what I can do with crazy craft beers and wines. Plenty of blind test have been done by the pros and other known coffee dudes on the boards to support no/negligible difference in freezing. Yeh maybe 5, 8, 10+ months down the road it may not work well, but for 1-2 months for the avg home user that's perfect if you have a "good" fridge freezer, even longer if you have a deep chest.

You already went into it with a huge bias against freezing.... so just sayin' ;)

I just pulled some Nicaragua out of the freezer last night to defrost, roasted a few weeks ago, pulled two awesome shots this morning that tasted and looked great. If I had left it in a cup board sealed, it would have been flat, stale, and little/no crema by this point.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 9:08am

I read that whole article and it was great but in the end it must go the way of the god-shot as subjective. I would have hated to be your
science teacher in school. Its more religious than anything else. You wont get an arguement from me on that level if thats what floats your boat.

S U B J E C T I V E

AlexKilpatrick Said:

The guys on home barista did a very scientific blind taste test.  And several of those guys are professional tasters; I would trust their palates over mine any day.

Confirmation bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)  is a big factor here.  If you taste coffee you know was made from frozen beans, you are going to tend to think it tastes worse.  That's why a blind test is so important.

But here is another analogy to think about.  I don't know if this is appropriate, but it is something to consider.  If you make homemade bread, it goes bad in about a day because it has no preservatives.  If you make homemade bread and freeze it, you can keep it relatively good for a long time.  A slice of bread from the freezer is not as good as bread fresh from the oven, but it is a whole heck of a lot better than bread that is a week old.  

It may be the same with coffee.  Let's call coffee that is 3-4 days from roast "Excellent" and coffee that is 10 days from roast "Good"  Freezing coffee may be a way to keep it at "Good" for a relatively long period of time (few months).  It also may be a way to keep a large amount of coffee consistent - I know when I pull it out of the freezer that it is the equivalent of coffee 10 days from roast.  

The best possible option is to have a local roaster and buy coffee every few days from them so you are always drinking the freshest coffee possible.  But that's not an option for most folks.  Freezing seems to provide a very good alternative.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:42am

I once heard tale of a skinny frenchman named Devereaux who lived in the jungles of Costa Rica. Seems he was steeped in the various
religions and spirituality of the area. Some even say he was mad and would mumble a lot as he starred at you and twisted his black dreadlocks.
Now I never actually met him but I knew someone, who knew someone who said they did. Rumor has it if he went to the crystal river on a full moon at exactly 3:32 AM
and extracted just 1 oz of water  to sprinkle on them,it could make roasted beans last forever. In fact although its never been tested on a scientific level, someone I knew said the beans
we once put in a grinder while sailing off Tortolla were actually 15 years old.....yes you guessed it,A GOD SHOT - IN FACT IT CHANGED MY LIFE - IT WAS MAGICAL LOL:)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Yet another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334092855453)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+