Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Rancilio silva package with naked portafilter or with nemox professional grinder
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Rancilio silva...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rslacker77

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 1:28pm
Subject: Rancilio silva package with naked portafilter or with nemox professional grinder

I am buying the rancilio silva v3 and have 2 offers of deals with it. One is including a rancilio naked portafilter and the other for 40 more includes a nemox professional dosing grinder.
I want to know which would be better value to get as I can't really find any reviews on the grinder or spec.  
It is a present for my husband and obviously can't ask which he would prefer but I don't want to get an inferior grinder.
Does anyone know if it is any good, or would it be better to go with the portafilter and save for a better grinder at a later date?
Thanks in advance as any help is appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:37am
Subject: Re: Rancilio silva package with naked portafilter or nemox professional grinder

1) nobody here seems to know that grinder.
2) there is VERY little information available about that grinder on the web.
3) I couldn't find anything that described the grind fineness adjustment mechanism...even on what looks like the Nemox product page!
4) I did not find that grinder for sale, other than in package deals, which were priced at about what the espresso machine is "worth"

Conclusion: I would definitely not buy that grinder. I think your money is better spent on the machine (if you must get the Silvia) and the naked pf handle. I can pretty much guarantee you won't ever see that grinder being used by a "professional". Let your husband choose a free standing grinder as a separate purchase.  Consider getting a Gaggia Classic machine.  Pretty much the same quality (IMO) and for less money.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
rslacker77

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:48am
Subject: Re: Rancilio silva package with naked portafilter or nemox professional grinder

Many thanks for the helpful advice.  he has already done a lot of research and would like the rancilio (if he ever had the money) so as everyone has contributed it makes it cheaper, although I know the gaggia is good too so will have a think about that.  What grinder would you recommend as a stand alone so I can pass this info along when he gets the machine?
Regards
Rachel
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:21pm

Most here think of the Baratza Preciso as the entry level grinder, but I don't know it's availability in the UK.  Knowing how much he could/would be willing to spend would be very helpful.  We typically say, get the best grinder you can afford as it will make the biggest noticeable improvement where it counts - in the cup.

Regarding Silvia, if that's what he wants, then fine. I had one (ok, I had two for a while - but that's not important) for about 8 years before upgrading to the machine I have now.  The Silvia is a good machine, made even better by installing a PID (which he can do himself by purchasing a kit).  Most people now think of the Silvia as overpriced.  It used to cost only $450-500.  It's quite a bit more expensive now, and they haven't changed much at all.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:51am
Subject: Re: Rancilio silva package with naked portafilter or with nemox professional

rslacker77 Said:

Does anyone know if it is any good, or would it be better to go with the portafilter and save for a better grinder at a later date?

Posted March 18, 2013 link

I'd suggest buying a different machine that costs less and spending the savings on the grinder.  As always: the grinder matters more.

rslacker77 Said:

he has already done a lot of research and would like the rancilio

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Have him consider the dates of the data used in researching.  The Silvia was highly recommended years ago.  Not so much these days.  It is generally regarded as overpriced, as stated above.  There's little gain in spending extra for the Siliva over other capable SBDU machines out there.

Definitely allocate more time to researching the grinder as, again, it matters more.  Don't leave the grinder as an afterthought.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Rancilio silva...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232658147812)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+