Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Restaurant Espresso Experience
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 11 first page previous page
Author Messages
VoodooChile
VoodooChile
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 11:19am
Subject: Re: Restaurant Espresso Experience

bittersweet101 Said:

I think most restaurants simply believe that most people, with the exception of a few "hardcore" coffee enthusiasts won't know the difference between a "good" espresso and a "bad" one, so they just throw in what they can and be happy that they're earning from that. I mean personally, that's how it is for me since I grew up with the taste of mere instant coffee, there was a phase in my life that anything that is remotely more decent than that, I deem as "good coffee". I'm lucky that my eyes and taste buds are starting to open now and I can fairly differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.

Posted April 16, 2012 link

I agree that there is a lack of discerning customers, but beyond that, as other have pointed out, I just don't think there is enough potential money in coffee/espresso drinks for a restaurant operator to justify the time/investment to produce quality results.  Most fine dining restaurants only serve dinner and possibly lunch.  At those meal, most patrons will, at most, drink one coffee/espresso drink.  A vast majority of those people will order brewed coffee or some sort of milk-based espresso drink, where bad espresso can be hidden behind milk and sugar (for less-discerning palates).

For even a busy high-end restaurant, there's maybe a couple hundred dollars a day of additional profit that could be gained by having great espresso.  Unless you have an operator like a Meyer or a Keller who is obsessed with perfection in every single aspect of their operations, that $200 isn't enough motivation to pursue excellent espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:10pm

VoodooChile Said:

...For even a busy high-end restaurant, there's maybe a couple hundred dollars a day of additional profit that could be gained by having great espresso.  Unless you have an operator like a Meyer or a Keller who is obsessed with perfection in every single aspect of their operations, that $200 isn't enough motivation to pursue excellent espresso.

Posted April 18, 2012 link

$200 x 365 days = $73,000.

If thats pocket change, you gots big pockets. ;-)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:52pm

And if they actually tried to make good espresso, I wonder how much money that would bring in.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 1:01pm

if they're gonna invest in the people and the equipment, they might as well setup a side cafe business within the restaurant.  

im thinking something like short cake/single origin in LA.   Click Here (laist.com)

although, this concept may definitely be better for something like a bakery with counter service.

in the right type of place, i can imagine a coffee bar that can serve walk-up customers and also supply the attached restaurant a very good cup.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 4:48pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

And if they actually tried to make good espresso, I wonder how much money that would bring in.

Posted April 19, 2012 link

Very little.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 5:59pm

Ah, finally!  Great espresso in a restaurant!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 7:12pm

dana_leighton Said:

OK - so if there's not enough traffic for espresso, there certainly must be demand for coffee after dinner? I have never had culinary quality coffee in a fine restaurant. A Chemex and beehive kettle is not expensive, although training might be.

Posted August 17, 2011 link

Maybe 30 years ago, I chanced to take my future wife to a Mariott in LA, that featured excellent (!!) food, and the after dinner coffee was prepared at the table in a French Press.
It was very good coffee. Perhaps the idea of such a service colored my impression.

I agree with Dana that, forgetting espresso for just a moment, wouldn't MOST of us be thrilled if we had a Press pot or syphon prepared 2 cup coffee service (with artisan roasted and freshly ground beans?
The profit margin would be healthy, the expenditure on equipment modest, and the training minimal. The customer satisfaction? Priceless.
Not in my lifetime, though.

Yet people ooh and ahh when guacamole is freshly prepared at the table.
Well, that IS kinda cool. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 2:47am

Hi, how's everybody? Until this time I also don't have luck getting good espressos from restaurants. And i don't want to waste my time and money, so I just go to a cafe directly to get my cup.

If you know more restaurants who's able to pull off a good espresso, would you please post it?

Thanks!

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 2:05pm

The sad news is that many restaurants don't give a cr@p about beverages. How many times have you actually been presented with a beverage menu, or even been given the time to put your napkin on your lap before they press you to choose what you want to drink. Many take a similar approach to vegetables, and don't even bother to prepare them correctly...as if they're an afterthought. Sorry, but I honestly believe there are only a tiny number of restaurants that have any idea at all what good coffee tastes like or how to prepare it - using ANY method

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
williamjohnson

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 10:39pm

because espresso is so much popular there, It is ordered commonly by them.

www.cannycoffee.com
showing page 11 of 11 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373961925507)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+