Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Noob - Should i go for pre ground coffee first?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Noob - Should i...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mysticbertie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 8:46am
Subject: Noob - Should i go for pre ground coffee first?

im picking up a second hand Ascaso Arc Fun Espresso Machine on tuesday. Im new to espresso making. SO should i start off with some quality pre ground coffee to get me into the way of it or should i go the whole hog and get a second hand grinder and beans?

im just thinking it may be wise to tackle one thing at a time.

Is there a good pre ground coffee worth going for im in the uk. So can i get something good from the supermarket?
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 8:53am
Subject: Re: Noob - Should i go for pre ground coffee first?

mysticbertie Said:

im picking up a second hand Ascaso Arc Fun Espresso Machine on tuesday. Im new to espresso making. SO should i start off with some quality pre ground coffee to get me into the way of it or should i go the whole hog and get a second hand grinder and beans?

im just thinking it may be wise to tackle one thing at a time.

Is there a good pre ground coffee worth going for im in the uk. So can i get something good from the supermarket?

Posted May 5, 2013 link

One absolute prerequisite to making espresso is dialing in the grind to achieve a 1.5 to 2 oz shot in 25 to 30 seconds.  You cannot do that with pre-ground coffee.  Even if you get lucky and the grind is close to correct, the coffee will be stale by the time you try to pull your first shot.  Ground coffee starts to go stale after 15 minutes.
The espresso machine is the accessory to the grinder, not the other way around.  At the very least, pick up a good hand grinder to start out.  You won't regret it!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 10:57am

Should i go for pre ground coffee first?

Never.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mysticbertie

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 11:06am

fwtechwiz Said:

One absolute prerequisite to making espresso is dialing in the grind to achieve a 1.5 to 2 oz shot in 25 to 30 seconds.  You cannot do that with pre-ground coffee.  Even if you get lucky and the grind is close to correct, the coffee will be stale by the time you try to pull your first shot.  Ground coffee starts to go stale after 15 minutes.
The espresso machine is the accessory to the grinder, not the other way around.  At the very least, pick up a good hand grinder to start out.  You won't regret it!

Posted May 5, 2013 link

many thanks i understand, ill bide my time to find myself a grinder. Is there a budget priced new one worth buying or shall i spend about 50 on a second hand one?

Interesting, that ground coffee goes off so quickly.
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 9:31pm

mysticbertie Said:

many thanks i understand, ill bide my time to find myself a grinder. Is there a budget priced new one worth buying or shall i spend about 50 on a second hand one?

Posted May 5, 2013 link

Well, keep an eye on the used market here and the classifieds. A lot of used espresso capable coffee grinders typically require new burrs, which is a relatively inexpensive replacement.
Outside of making sure that it is meticulously cleaned, there isn't that much that can go wrong with them. Either it runs or it doesn't. I would at least double or triple your budget for a used one.

mysticbertie Said:

Interesting, that ground coffee goes off so quickly.

Posted May 5, 2013 link

Very much so. It oxidizes quickly and loses flavor. Don't waste your time with pre-ground coffee.

Don't worry about biting off too much, grinding coffee for the right shot times is the hard part.. Putting a loaded portafilter into a machine and turning the pump on is the easy part.
(It isn't really all that hard by the way.. it took me about 15 minutes to dial in my grinder the first time I used it.)

Good luck.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:10am

Hello, mysticbertie

Fifty quid is probably too low to get something second hand that's worth having.  There are several Mazzers - either super Jolly or Mini models - currently for sale in the UK on a well known web Auction site which may go for "good value" prices though.  

Those are built like the proverbial tank, so unless they've been really badly knocked around the most you might expect is to have to fit some new burrs (not a major expense, and in a domestic environment will then last you for years).

Unfortunately, used grinders advertised on here will normally be somewhere in North America and not compatible with European electrical standards.
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 1:32pm

You really need to think hard about the journey your on.

try to imagine it this way.

1. You buy a car for $500
  2. You use the cheapest oil you can find
  3. You use the lowest grade gasoline you can get
  4. You drive it badly
  5. You never clean it
  6. You never service it, if you do you only use cheap parts.

Do you think the ownership experience will be very satisfying., or the car will drive well.........because in a way, your doing this with the coffee journey.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 3:45pm

DavecUK Said:

You really need to think hard about the journey your on.

try to imagine it this way.

You buy a car for $500
You use the cheapest oil you can find
You use the lowest grade gasoline you can get
You drive it badly
You never clean it
You never service it, if you do you only use cheap parts.

Do you think the ownership experience will be very satisfying., or the car will drive well.........because in a way, your doing this with the coffee journey.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I loved my old Volkswagen beetle, 1967 model, ran for ever, just like you explained.
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 1:25am

__________ Said:

Unfortunately, used grinders advertised on here will normally be somewhere in North America and not compatible with European electrical standards.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

That's largely correct.

mysticbertie Said:

...second hand grinder...

Posted May 5, 2013 link

You could try TMC , you may need to sign up to see the sales section. It might be necessary to up your budget as well if you want a desirable grinder.

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
DavecUK

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 6:12am

steamer Said:

I loved my old Volkswagen beetle, 1967 model, ran for ever, just like you explained.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

There is always the exception to the rule.......bet you still got the beard ;-)

Seriously though, it's like the chap who smoked 40 a day and lived to 95 years old....ther are always some examples, in the main though, it's better to spend a little more and grieve a little less.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Noob - Should i...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359179019928)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+