Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
looking for help to get a thick espresso consistency
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > looking for help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
benthetiger

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:32am
Subject: looking for help to get a thick espresso consistency

Hello espresso lovers,

I need your help to improve my shots.  

After more or less perfecting my technique on a La Pavoni, I switched to an Isomac Zaffiro a few years ago and have never really mastered its use.  I sadly slipped into accepting and expecting an average shot until recently when I decided to get the situation under control.

Here's the problem:  I have found it next to impossible to get the syrupy ristretto-like consistency that I desire and still obtain a descent crema and non-overextracted taste.  My grinder is not great (an old Saeco burr machine) but my espresso machine (the Zaffiro) and my beans (Lavazza, Vernagno or locally roasted Kenya, etc) are top quality.  So I am guessing that the problem is with my technique.

To get the consistency I like, I grind fairly fine although it is frequently clumpy.  I pack a double filter tamping at around 40 pounds and in about 30 seconds get a thick ristretto with great consistency but dark crema and overall a burnt taste.

If I grind even slightly coarse or tamp less strongly, I get a watery espresso with lousy consistency and lousy flavor (although not burnt).

I am having trouble balancing the consistency and flavor but there is little wiggle room in my process as a mild change in grind or tamp pressure completely wrecks the consistency.

I should say that my renewed interest in the subject is due to having succeeded at getting the thick consistency I am mentioning.  Until a couple of weeks ago, I could only produce watery, lousy flavored shots because I was grinding coarser and tamping less.  This was necessary because I was using a single filter basket which with the grind and tamp pressure I am now using would consistently clog and I would get droplets or nothing at all.  It was changing to a double basket that allowed me to grind finer and tamp harder thereby producing the thickness that has made me optimistic.

Any ideas of how to maintain thickness while improving crema and flavor?

Many thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:48am
Subject: Re: looking for help to get a thick espresso consistency

benthetiger Said:

My grinder is not great (an old Saeco burr machine) but my espresso machine (the Zaffiro) and my beans (Lavazza, Vernagno or locally roasted Kenya, etc) are top quality.  So I am guessing that the problem is with my technique.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

You are right about the machine - it is quite capable of an excellent shot. I tested this machine at Mark Prince's house 10(!) years ago, and it produced an amazing shot, rivaling a La Marzocco (see Mark's review here)The grinder is likely part of the problem. You're likely not getting a consistent and bimodal distribution of particles. The freshness of the coffee will be paramount, and the Lavazza and Vernagno will fail in this account. The locally roasted beans are only fresh if you are getting the roast date form the merchant, and they are with 2 weeks of roast. For example, I have a local roaster who routinely has beans on the shelf that are more than a month old. Needless to say, I don't buy from that roaster.

Is your machine's pressure gauge reading about 10 bar on the extraction? If the OPV is set incorrectly, that will affect the extraction of the coffee.

(edit) Also, what about your brew temperature? You should verify the thermostat on the Zaffiro is set to around 93 C - this can be checked using the styrofoam cup/steaming thermometer method if you don't have any more sophisticated equipment. The thermostat seems to have a high failure rate as well.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 10:40am

You need a far better grinder, that Saeco isn't capable for espresso. But also Lavazza is far from top quality, its basically stale by the time you buy it. And the locally roasted Kenyan who knows, depends on how it was roasted, if they don't know what their doing it won't matter if it was just roasted.

Those are your two main problems, poor grinder and beans. Remedy those, especially the grinder and you'll see a massive difference.

The machine is fine but you may want to check the OPV and thermostat as mentioned above.
benthetiger

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:20pm

Thank you both, this is good information and I will start looking into a new grinder.  Will a Rocky give me professional results or do I need to shell out for a Macap/Mazzer, in your opinions?

Regarding the beans, the local roast I have been using is fresh--purchased within 2 days of roasting.  

The pressure of my machine is between 10-10.5bars.  Is that the right pressure in your opinions?  I have read a lot about 9bars being more suitable but I am not sure what effect this will have on my problem...

For the temperature, I have not measured it.  Incidentally, I have also not measured the quantity of coffee I am using, I just overload the double basket and tamp it down below the inner line.  The occasional times that I have used less coffee, I get watery results.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:47pm

benthetiger Said:

Will a Rocky give me professional results or do I need to shell out for a Macap/Mazzer, in your opinions?

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Rocky will help, and at one time was the state of the art in home espresso, but with time it has been shown up by other, better grinders at similar or lower prices. Rocky's main fault is some wobble in the burrs, and its wide step adjustments. There is a middle ground between Rocky and Macap/Mazzer. Mainly you want to look for stepless or nearly stepless adjustment. The smallest adjustment in grind can make a big difference. For example, the Vario is close to stepless even though it technically has a sortof step system, and is not as expensive as the Macap/Mazzer lines. The Pharos hand grinder is less, if you don't mind cranking away to get an espresso. :)

Regarding the beans, the local roast I have been using is fresh--purchased within 2 days of roasting.

OK - sounds good. They should hit their peak 4 days or so post roast. They're not dark roasted and oily are they? If it's Kenyan, it should be roasted at a medium roast.

The pressure of my machine is between 10-10.5bars.  Is that the right pressure in your opinions?  I have read a lot about 9bars being more suitable but I am not sure what effect this will have on my problem...

High brew pressure can cause problems with extraction, and if you're reading 10 bar on the gauge of the machine, the puck pressure is probably about 1 bar lower which should be just about right.

For the temperature, I have not measured it. Incidentally, I have also not measured the quantity of coffee I am using, I just overload the double basket and tamp it down below the inner line.  The occasional times that I have used less coffee, I get watery results.

Water temperature will likely be more important than coffee dose. Based on the fact that a lower dose reuslts in "watery" results, that leads me to believe that the extra coffee is providing more resistance which will benefit the poor grind quality. I'd start with better grinder and measuring brew temperature.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:08pm

I've mentioned this to a couple other people who've asked about a Macap, but as afik no one has pursued it. Ther is a lightly used Macap M4 in the BST forum for $325...a very good price IMO.

I have no relation to the seller. In fact, I don't even know off the top of my head who he/she is. In truth, I have no interest at all in whether it gets sold or not, but rather, I'm just trying to help out people who want to improve their experience. It's a darn good grinder, but to me...not commercial quality. For that I'd say you need a larger motor an larger burr set - which costs quite a bit more.

Having used a Rocky before, I'd recommend against it - especially with that M4 still up for grabs. They are t anywhere close to being in the same class.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:37pm

Actually, I just checked the BST forum...the M4 price has been reduced to $300! If it goes any lower I'm gone but it and sell my oldest one on eBay for $400...maybe more.

benthetiger

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 1:26am

Thanks for the lead.  I live in France so this one will not work but if you think used grinders are a good option, I will pursue this locally...
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 5:58am

used vs new is in some regards a personal preference...ie, there are some people who wouldn't buy anything once the term used is applied to it.  When looking for used grinders (and I'm no expert in this realm), I'd pretty much stick to well known reliable commercial brands (not necessarily models)  This Macap is a case in point - commercial brand, with excellent reputation and build quality, but a home model.  Of course, it's out of the picture for you, given shipping, but illustrates my point well.  Many of the commercial grinders (if you have the counter space for them) will outlast your grand children. They may need extensive cleaning and new burrs, but if the motor is in good shape, they can be a great buy. Look for posts from calblacksmith, among others, regarding used grinders.  He's restored many Mazzers, and will likely contribute to your thread.

RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 6:27am

Weighing my dose as well as output improved my shots quite a lot.  Also, check to insure your espresso machine is clean.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > looking for help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29842209816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+