Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
on the subject of portafilter baskets
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > on the subject...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
benthetiger

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 4:17am
Subject: on the subject of portafilter baskets

I have a couple of basket questions for the experts:

1. do baskets have a lifespan or can they be used forever?

2. i am a bit perplexed by the concept of a single basket.  in my experience, the single basket reduces not just the the quantity of espresso produced but also its density.  I like a ristretto-like quality to my espresso and find that the grind-fineness and tamp that I use with a double basket cause my machine to choke when used with a single basket.  is it a general principle that a single basket is intended for a shorter pull but is unsuitable for a ristretto-like strength?  or am i doing something wrong?

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 6:18am
Subject: Re: on the subject of portafilter baskets

Unless damaged, they last a very long time. Less expensive ones may develop a bulge in the bottom from pressure but even then they still work. That is not to say that you may not want to upgrade to a better than stock basket which has more consistent sized holes and hole shape.

A single basket is designed to make a single shot using about 7 g of coffee. The bottom tapers in and the hole pattern is smaller on the ones I have seen. You need to adjust your grind to achieve the shot size you want in the guideline time of ~ 25 seconds.

Tamping is the least important part of the process, just be consistent and you are fine. You can not by hand, equal the pressure of the water in a shot. The reason for the tamp is to present a constant resistance of water flow through the whole puck, it is not to adjust the time of the shot.

It is all about the grind, the grinder is more important than the machine and you need to adjust the grind all the time to get the results you want. This is one of the reasons you need a good grinder and can not use pre ground coffee, that and the fact that coffee, once ground, stales very quickly, in about 15 minutes due to the large surface area of the ground coffee.

I never pull singles, I prefer doubles so I do not use a single basket but the same rules apply, adjust your grind for results. As the grind changes through the day for the same shot, you can not hope to use a grind that is tailored for a double shot in a single basket, there are just too many variables for that.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ntouch

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 7:44pm

Great information from the poster above. A single basket can be tricky, it seems to me that it is a lot less forgiving than a larger basket when it comes to tamping and the grind. You have to be more precise with it. Have you tried to run the same amount of coffee in the double basket to see how the machine handles it?  You may want to give it a try. You may be able to get what you are looking for easier by using a larger basket.

On the baskets themselves, as said above, the higher the quality of the basket, the longer that it will last you. I personally prefer the VST baskets, and they are not all that expensive when looking at how long they will last you.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 6:26am

yes, as mentioned, the single baskets are much more difficult to use, but you should be able to pull a ristretto in one, if you work hard enough to succeed.  Most of us here don't bother, probably mostly because of the need to change the grind setting slightly.  Instead, we just use the double basket and then discard the amount we don't want/need. I have used a single with success.  It requires, again, a slightly coarser grind.  Pre-infusion is also said to be very helpful.  It's the only time I've ever felt motivated to use WDT, and it did indeed help.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > on the subject...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.206137895584)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+