Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Aluminium funnel for doserless grinders
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Aluminium funnel...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 6:48am
Subject: Aluminium funnel for doserless grinders

It's not uncommon to use a makeshift trimmed yoghurt cup as a funnel for grinding directly into the basket. However, there's a more elegant way to do it available at least in Germany. It's called Board Trichter, and it's made of aluminium. There are different sizes for standart baskets. It certainly reduces the mess during grinding.

The also offer a tamper to go along which is supposed to simplify even tamping. But it works with other tampers as well.

What do you think of it?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 6:59am
Subject: Re: Aluminium funnel for doserless grinders

I think it's substantially similar to what OE offers: Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Love my OE dosing funnel.
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 7:03am

Those look very nice in my opinion, and the matching tamper is a plus. And it seems like that idea was very similar to those OrphanEspresso's aluminum dosing funnel.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 7:04am

jbviau Said:

I think it's substantially similar to what OE offers: Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Love my OE dosing funnel.

Posted December 28, 2011 link

samuellaw178 Said:

Those look very nice in my opinion, and the matching tamper is a plus. And it seems like that idea was very similar to those OrphanEspresso's aluminum dosing funnel.

I agree.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 7:43am

If you grind into the portafilter with a doserless grinder do you even need one of these? The grounds drop into the basket already.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 7:57am

EricBNC Said:

If you grind into the portafilter with a doserless grinder do you even need one of these? The grounds drop into the basket already.

It's not a necessary in both cases(doser/doserless) but it really helps a lot in preventing coffee from spraying/falling everywhere if you tend to overfill, or at least fill the coffee to the rim. It's a real nice thing to have regardless. Well, of course unless you always underfill the basket. Fluffy grinders need this even more because the same dose of coffee pile on my Pharos is about 5mm taller than the one from Major(because the ground is so fluffy!).
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 8:08am

EricBNC Said:

Thus the theory. But in real life, at least in my exprerience, with a lot of doserless grinders some grounds miss the target. Some grinders make more of a mess, others less. A funnel can help to minimize this mess. It can keep the housewife happy, i.e. a high WAF (women acceptance factor). ;-)

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 8:57am

Makes sense, if the basket is full before my timer cuts off I will pat down the grounds to make room for the rest of the coffee.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 9:24am

OHHHH NOOOOO!!!!   Its made from Aluminum!  If you use it, you'll DIE!  DIE I TELL YOU!  OR WISH YOU WERE DEAD!

You will become a drooling basketcase, a bedwetter, walking aimlessly to and fro, foaming at the mouth like a lunatic raving maniac unable to control basic bodily functions.  You will pass gas on unsuspecting recipients.

Now that that is all out of the way, good luck with it all.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 11:18am

EricBNC Said:

I have a self-modded doser less Super Jolly and yes, a funnel is needed. I use the orphan express tall aluminum one.

I tried the short OE ones, but they don't contain the mess well enough.

I'm normally grinding directly into triple baskets sitting under my inverted Mountain Dew 2 liter mod single shot dispenser.

When I set the basket on a hockey puck it's too short, and 2 pucks won't fit under the grinder. But the OE tall funnel and basket - perfect!

ljguitar: SuperJ OE 196.jpg
(Click for larger image)

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Aluminium funnel...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379956960678)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+