Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Another Noob out of the shadows...
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Another Noob out...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chickensushi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Pavoni PA, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 11:13am
Subject: Another Noob out of the shadows...

Hi Friends-
Serial board-lurker here, finally stepping into the community! I've been flirting with quality coffee in fits and starts for years and years beginning with a rather tumultuous relationship with a roommate's Pavoni lever machine in the early nineties (how did we not kill ourselves?) then to a Gaggia Coffee machine purchased in the early 00's. Frustrated with not getting the quality I was looking for I gave up on home espresso and ultimately made my way to the wonderful Chemex system a few years ago. I realize that my critical mistakes have been the craptastic Pavoni PA grinder I bought with the Gaggia (and in the early days) good, fresh beans. When I started really appreciating coffee, good beans meant Illy for the most part, but now in the SF Bay Area we obviously have quite a few great quality roasters. Blue Bottle pretty much remains my favorite for drip and for espresso (at their bars) but have to admit Peet's Solano blend makes a pretty nice cup in the oh-so forgiving Chemex. I've also really enjoyed various beans from Sightglass, Four Barrel, Ecco, Flying Goat, Intelligentsia and Stumptown.

Now, after moving back to Sonoma from SF my choices are a bit more limited, although thankfully I can walk to the fantastic El Molino Central restaurant and purchase BB Three Africans by the bag! Even better, a dear friend gave me (!) her used Livia 90 machine which she had replaced with a simpler setup. Score! The Livia is about 10 years old but appears fully functional, just needing some routine maintenance and cleaning. I'm in the process of replacing the fossilized and very stuck group head gasket and just ordered a Preciso refurb from Baratza. Can't wait to get my hands on it and ditch the Pavoni which obviously won't cut it for the Livia. Ironically the PA still happily munches beans after 12 years of daily use. Dear god, why couldn't it just die and help me make the case with my wife for a new grinder???

Anyway, a big thanks to the moderators and the community for helping me realize that the Livia will be worth some maintenance and investment and for helping me to select a grinder. I'm on a tight budget and am aware that the while Precisio has had some quality control/reliability issues in the past it seems that the company is on track with resolving these problems and that I can expect excellent customer service if need be. Grind quality sounds superb which from what I gather is something that the Livia will require. Speaking of great customer service, I talked with a tech at Pasquini earlier this am and he gave me some valuable pointers on the machine. Super cool. Hopefully I'll be pulling some great shots by early/mid next week and will post some of my thoughts on that. Although I've been scouring the CG boards lately any tips on the Livia and the Preciso you all have would be welcome and appreciated!
Here we go again...
Many thanks and Cheers!
John
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Another Noob out of the shadows...

Welcome to the board, former lurker ;)

I could write and write and write, but it's already been done! Check out article 12 Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home, under how to on www.espressomyespresso.com it's an awesome guide and will get you started for sure!

Your setup should serve you well. Remember also that great freshly roasted  beans are only a few mouse clicks and days away, if you desire something that can't be found locally. And my final word of advice...remember ALWAYS that the number one thing about espresso is, it's what's in the cup that matters most!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Chickensushi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Pavoni PA, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 2:49pm

Thank you Sir and many thanks for that link...I think my eyes just exploded!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:25pm

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/university/training/

Great videos.  They are for commercial machines but the basics are solid.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Another Noob out...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208112001419)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+