Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Bottomless / Naked Extraction
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Bottomless /...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
caf3cito
caf3cito
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 10:55pm
Subject: Re: Bottomless / Naked Extraction

Assuming your machine came with two portafilters, I suggest having one of them converted to a naked. Check Ebay there's a guy on there who does it for under $30 (mail yours in and he ships converted back)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:02am

shnxx Said:

Question: Which 58mm naked PF will fit a Pasquini Livia 90 well?

That seems pretty messy though.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

I will do it for you if you have an extra to convert. It is a good tool. I used one for years... just because, long after I had my prep down. When I moved to my new machine, I was forced to go with a regular PF again, since I got used to the regular one, I have no need for converting one of my PFs to bottomless.

You are pretty close, a little over an hour drive. It will take a few minutes on the mill to convert so if you want to come over for coffee and to get ... converted, the offer is on the table.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:24pm

calblacksmith Said:

I will do it for you if you have an extra to convert. It is a good tool. I used one for years... just because, long after I had my prep down. When I moved to my new machine, I was forced to go with a regular PF again, since I got used to the regular one, I have no need for converting one of my PFs to bottomless.

You are pretty close, a little over an hour drive. It will take a few minutes on the mill to convert so if you want to come over for coffee and to get ... converted, the offer is on the table.

Posted October 11, 2013 link

oh wow.
would you recommend having naked as the only option?
I was going to just buy one from Pasquini as you suggested.

But on the subject of meeting up, are there coffeegeek meetup type of things in LA?
 View Profile Link to this post
faster

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia-PID
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: Homemade drum roaster
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 7:51am

calblacksmith Said:

The sprites can be caused by a lot of things, not just a dirty basket. It can also be a wet basket, a fractured puck causing channeling and other pre shot prep shortcomings.

Posted September 23, 2013 link

I recently got naked PF for Silvia and I am a bit bummed out with my results, because when I looked very carefully at extraction, (put on glasses and strong light) I saw tiny sprays from hole(s) which I didn't see before!... and I can't seem to get rid of it!?

Before I got naked pf, I used to wondered what people meant by pfs' "spray"...lol...now i know;-)

I grind my dose into a shallow plastic cup and then scoop it into the filter, trying not to compress, then I level, without making clumps, at least I think so..

The shot seems to be reasonable, 30-35 grams in 30sec.
I have fresh beans, scale, dose to 15-16.5g and tamp with care. ~20 lbs probably, (the puck stays in if I turn it upside down)
I don't think the filter can be damaged?  It is stock 14g silvia 2y old. When I look against light, holes are clean.

So what could I be doing wrong, tamping, dosing?
I know it is a difficult question to answer, what area should I pay most attention to?
TIA
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 8:13am

faster Said:

I grind my dose into a shallow plastic cup and then scoop it into the filter, trying not to compress, then I level, without making clumps, at least I think so..

Posted October 15, 2013 link

Try just dosing into the portafilter directly as you grind.

I have fresh beans, scale, dose to 15-16.5g and tamp with care. ~20 lbs probably...

Tamp harder and grind a bit more coarsely to compensate.

So what could I be doing wrong, tamping, dosing?

On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

Be sure to do the dosing test with a coin on the coffee. You may also be using just a bit too much unless you have checked it before.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:50am

shnxx Said:

oh wow.
would you recommend having naked as the only option?
I was going to just buy one from Pasquini as you suggested.

But on the subject of meeting up, are there coffeegeek meetup type of things in LA?

Posted October 12, 2013 link

If you follow my posts on this thread, you will see I only used a naked Pf for years. My newest machine does not accept the PFs from any of my other machines and I don't want to machine the bottom off of one of my two PFs for the La Cimabli so I just used it with a bottom. I have a slight loss of crema but still more than enough to make a geek proud.

Having said that though, I did perfect my shot prep with naked so it was a good training aid.

A specific group in LA? Well, I guess I have had more geeks to my home than any other "meet up" we have had though not all of my guests were at the same time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
faster

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia-PID
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: Homemade drum roaster
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 7:59am

frcn Said:

1) Try just dosing into the portafilter directly as you grind.

2) Tamp harder and grind a bit more coarsely to compensate.

On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

3) Be sure to do the dosing test with a coin on the coffee. You may also be using just a bit too much unless you have checked it before.

Posted October 15, 2013 link

Thank you for your very useful tips and the link...
In the 5-6 months of owning Silvia I visited/read/tried, etc, but last week, when I got the naked PF, and after I looked really carefully with a flashlight, I thought....Shit! this is not happening!

Today I made a manometer adapter and did a test, my PF pressure is 9 bars....Great:-)
I use a flat 58mm tamper

1) can dose directly but it ain't easy, grinder is 1' off the floor

2) I tried, but I was getting worst results pushing harder?
   If I grind coarser, the extraction is too fast, double shot in 15sec is no good..., so I went 1-2 clicks back. (0-40 range)

3) I tried dosing test and I found that I overdose with ~17grams in a 14g stock filter...my usual doses are 15.5-16-16.5g, no print.
Edit: mistake in volume
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 6:06am

Thanks for sharing your video, I understand that bottomless can allow you to see what's going on and you can have an instant feedback of the flow, color and everything.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Bottomless /...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325512886047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+