Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Coffee shop finder app?
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee shop...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 1:38pm
Subject: Coffee shop finder app?

If this topic needs to be moved somewhere else please do so.  I was wondering if there are any good apps to help find a decent cafe/espresso bar while traveling.  I have a job that has me frequently traveling around California with frequent overnight stays.  I end up searching the forums here and HB hoping to find a good shop.  I frequently can find something that isn't too out of the way but it is a pain.  I am wondering if there is an app that focuses on good shops only. I tried an app called CoffeeGuru but not enough people participate and it included way to many mermaid clones to be relied upon.  I would love to see an app focused on shops that we would consider good and then allow for a shop once submitted to be voted off of the list.  Then if we go and its not what we are looking for we could give it a thumbs down or something and if it gets too negative it is removed from the list.  Also, it would be great to have an easy but effective test to pass before you could submit suggested shops.  Does anyone have an app that fills this void or am I doomed to Google every city I visit?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 2:03pm
Subject: Re: Coffee shop finder app?

There used to be a map of good coffee shops but I have long since forgotten how to find it. A lot of the problems you bring up are still true, Who reports the "finds" and what is their background. Then shops tend to come and go, so a lot of locations are not around anymore.

It is a hard problem to find quality shops. Many times, people ask here and if we know someplace good, it gets a reference. I hope someone does have a way to make finding good shops easier. Perhaps someone will know the map that I am thinking about, you are not alone, it is a desert wasteland for quality coffee out there. A lot of us take a travel kit when on vacation etc. However, that does not help when you need a cup to go on the road.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 2:57pm

calblacksmith Said:

There used to be a map of good coffee shops but I have long since forgotten how to find it. A lot of the problems you bring up are still true, Who reports the "finds" and what is their background. Then shops tend to come and go, so a lot of locations are not around anymore.

It is a hard problem to find quality shops. Many times, people ask here and if we know someplace good, it gets a reference. I hope someone does have a way to make finding good shops easier. Perhaps someone will know the map that I am thinking about, you are not alone, it is a desert wasteland for quality coffee out there. A lot of us take a travel kit when on vacation etc. However, that does not help when you need a cup to go on the road.

Posted September 23, 2013 link

I think a map could be helpful.  Even just a list from trusted people.  Maybe I will start making a list (for California) and post it in the regional section.  Maybe a list like this already exists and if it does somebody let me know.  Members could then contribute to the list and I could update it as suggestions come in.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 3:46pm

calblacksmith Said:

There used to be a map of good coffee shops but I have long since forgotten how to find it.

http://espressomap.com

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
stuartontour

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi II by La Spaziale
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 8:36pm

I type in ESPRESSO in Yelp, which seems to bring up the good places.  I'm out of town a lot, so this saves my butt.  

Of course you need to scan the reviews as others may feel that a vanilla soy caramel frap is how to judge espresso drinks.  

I wish there was a list of shops with Synessos or LaMarzoccos.  Now that would narrow it down!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 8:50pm

stuartontour Said:

I wish there was a list of shops with Synessos or LaMarzoccos.  Now that would narrow it down!

Maybe the Synessos, or maybe Slayers...but LMs?...no, too common.  Not the best example, but I was in a shop this past weekend in Boston.  They had a Faema and two Mazzer titans.  The baristi sucked!  I was there for almost two hours and saw two different people operating the machinery.  Shots were done in about 15 seconds or so, but they let them run closer to 30.  Milk frothing skills sucked too...made "for here" drinks hot enough to literally burn your tongue.  But hey, if your taste buds are burnt then you can't taste how bad the espresso is, right?  There's a restaurant I love in Houston, serves french food, Brasserie 19.  Beautiful two group spring lever machine, excellent quality titan conical grinder sitting next to it...wait for it.....hold on....just another second....big huge can of Illy beans inverted in place of the hopper.  Big let down, huh?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 9:02am

dana_leighton Said:

http://espressomap.com

Do you have any idea how to update the map? I know of a good shop, not third wave but trying hard and pretty good coffee. They are on the map if you zoom WAAAAAY in to where they are but there is no flag to point them out.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
stuartontour

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi II by La Spaziale
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 7:45am

Actually, this is not a bad idea.  We should get Synesso and Slayer to list the cafes that use their products.  This would certainly make traveling easier.   And why not?  They make exceptional hardware for handcrafted espresso, why not publicize the places that have spent the big $$?   And I'm certain that the cafes would appreciate the business.

I agree with you on the LMs.  When I was in Australia recently, there were so many LMs, it seemed that perhaps Costco sold them.  And yes, most of the employees barely understood the difference.  

In Houston, I often go to Catalina Coffee.  Are there better ones?

emradguy Said:

Maybe the Synessos, or maybe Slayers...but LMs?...no, too common.  Not the best example, but I was in a shop this past weekend in Boston.  They had a Faema and two Mazzer titans.  The baristi sucked!  I was there for almost two hours and saw two different people operating the machinery.  Shots were done in about 15 seconds or so, but they let them run closer to 30.  Milk frothing skills sucked too...made "for here" drinks hot enough to literally burn your tongue.  But hey, if your taste buds are burnt then you can't taste how bad the espresso is, right?  There's a restaurant I love in Houston, serves french food, Brasserie 19.  Beautiful two group spring lever machine, excellent quality titan conical grinder sitting next to it...wait for it.....hold on....just another second....big huge can of Illy beans inverted in place of the hopper.  Big let down, huh?

RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 8:29am

While I agree that good shops tend to have more expensive/ better equipment that is not always the case. I have had great shots pulled on a Rancilio or a NS and I have had swill from LM Stradas and Synessos.  I've never had a chance to try anything pulled on a Slayer.  Sometimes we tend to put too much emphasis on the machine.  I'm honestly more concerned with the grind a barista skill than the machine.  Unless your talking pressure or temperature profiling I can't tell much of a difference between two basic semi automatic machines that meet the basic requirements of 9 bar and about 200 degrees.  I think that a true peer reviewed list would be the most helpful.  A peer in this case being someone with at least a basic understanding of good coffee is by our standards.  

Since I started this thread I have started a list on Google maps for California that I will post on the regional section once I have some more time to think of all the shops I have been to but it would be a great service if someone had the ability and time to create something like this.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 9:24am

OP, please excuse the temporary thread hijack...

stuartontour Said:

In Houston, I often go to Catalina Coffee.  Are there better ones?

Posted September 25, 2013 link

I like Catalina too, but yes, there are definitely better places...such that I never make it to Catalina anymore.

Those I've been to...in no particular order...Tuscany Coffee in Greenway Plaza food court, Southside Espresso at Westheimer and Montrose, Revival Market in the Heights, Boomtown Coffee also in the Heights.

There are a couple I've not been to as well...Blacksmith (no relation to Wayne Parris, in fact, owned by Greenway coffee who also own Tuscany above) not far from Southside (above), The owner of Boomtown recommended another place at Chimney Rock and Beechnut, but I don't know the name.  I believe there is at least one other good cafe in the montrose or heights areas.

Of all of those, Southside is my favorite, especially when the owner, Sean Marshall, is on the bar. Taylor, at Revival usually makes my drinks, and she's very good as well.  I've only been to Tuscany three times, but it was excellent as well each time.

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

I fully agree the barista makes the biggest difference when deciding on a cafe.  I mentioned those two machines (Synesso and Slayer) because in my experience I've had better luck with the mano when those machines were in play.  I suspect it has something to do with diligence to the owners who would buy those particular machines.  I certainly have had great shots and great milk based drinks from places with other machines.  In fact, Revival (above) was operating a Faema for a long time, but I think they just switched out to a Rancilio or Astora.  Last weekend I was at a place in Boston that had a Faema...the drinks were horrible - clearly due to poorly trained baristi (I watched them in action).

My suggestion for the app would be that it operates sort of the like the CAMRA guide*.  Each place is reviewed annually (or near that) by senior members.  The listing would include machine and grinder(s) make and model, roaster and types of beans used, and a review of the drinks.  It would also include shop hours and reviews of any food items available.  Places could be sorted by region, and each region could be sorted by city, and if necessary, cities could then be sorted by neighborhoods.

• CAMRA - CAMpaign for Real Ale. They produce The Good Beer Guide annually.  It covers pubs and breweries throughout England.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee shop...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33812212944)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+