Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How to improve my espresso
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to improve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:58am
Subject: Re: How to improve my espresso

When tasting espresso, I will close my eyes and try to see how many different things I can taste in the brew. MOST of the time though, I simply drink and enjoy it, I don't need flowery words to enjoy the coffee!

Congrats on the shots, at first I thought there was a hole in the crema in the lower left but then saw it was a shadow over the whole corner of the pic. :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:59am

shnxx Said:

Quite happy with the results but I can't help but wonder what it would be like to have an espresso machine that has a precisely dialed in temperature.

Posted October 14, 2013 link

If you used one, you would understand why some here would rather have a good machine rather than a second car!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 8:31am

There are coffee shops that offer free demonstration on how to have the best espresso. Probably you can have some of their technique to try by yourself to improve your espresso. You can also make your own style and possibly discover your own technique to have a better espresso. It's a matter of testing, trying, and patience to improve your espresso.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
tonini

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 5:03pm

Your on the right path. I got into espresso a year ago with a Silvia/Preciso combination. This website is great for feedback and ideas about what to do/try. It really comes down to a few things. First is you need great beans, no matter how good your grinder and machine are bad beans makes bad espresso. Second is a great grinder which you have! I did was looking at a k10 recently but decided against it for an HG One and it is mind blowing to me. Third thing to do is technique. You can argue 3 should be before 2 but really its something like that. At the end of the day if you have great coffee and a great grinder, for the most part the user is its worst enemy. We as the user have to be exact, observant but most importantly enjoy. Assuming you love coffee as much as the rest of us on this awesome forum, you will continue to see the awesomeness of your espresso progression.
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 9:43am

I had a Livia 90, which I bought in its first few months of production and kept for more than fifteen years.  It was a decent machine in its time (as compared to similarly priced machines) but that time is somewhat past.  

It's major weakness is temperature -- mostly in the sense that it tends to overheat very quickly and is difficult to control without  lot of technique.  Another weakness is its sensitivity to head space.  Perhaps it's most annoying traits are (1) It's so very noisy; and (2) the drip tray is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small.  

While a grinder as good as the K-10 is going to improve the quality of the coffee the Livia can make, the Livia can't quite reciprocate -- It's nowhere near up to the K-10's quality and consistency and is the weak link in your new chain.  

Any of the better E-61 HXs will represent a significant step up in nearly every respect.  That said, there are a lot of espresso machine alternatives which would pair better with your new Compak than the Livia.  While I haven't tried one yet, the new Pasquini Livia G4 looks as though it has all the right stuff and design upgrades -- especially thermal compensation.  

Temping an HX machine isn't quite "temperature surfing," at least not in the way temping an SBDU.  That is, you don't temp an HX by going past the ideal point than working your way back.  There are a couple of things to consider when you think about this.  The first is that, yes, it would be nice to have a machine which didn't require technique and attention to deliver precisely temped brew water.  

The second though is far more important.  That is, that the most important part of temping is determining the right temperature (aka "dialing in") for a given bean and grind; and that is entirely a matter of palate, not of equipment.

To temp the Livia 90 in particular, you flush until the sound of flash boiling ceases; stop the machine; start a new timed flush (count in your head) for a controlled period until you hit the right "dialed in" temp for your particular bean -- usually a matter of two to five seconds.  

One of the nice things about the Livia 90 is that the location of the HX within the boiler makes for very fast recovery.  You have to pull successive shots very fast indeed to get it to run too cold; and will more often find that banging them out as fast as you can go will give you good temps for most coffees.

You really want to consider getting together with someone who can show you some of the more sophisticated techniques to get the most out of machine and grinder; and/or taking a barista class.  

For most people, the most powerful part of taking a class is not so much the techniques as teaching you to use your palate.  I highly recommend Heather Perry's one day class, even though it's expensive.  In the alternative, lots of coffee shops offer less expensive (and less intense) classes; including Intelligentsia Pasadena.  

I'm in Monrovia and may be able to give you some pointers -- not only as to the Livia 90 in particular, but as to espresso in general.  If you want to get together, let me know and we'll work out the details.

BDL
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 11:33am

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will upgrade once my palate is able to distinguish between the coffee I'm making and something better, which I'm guessing I can get from Intelligentsia and a couple of other cafes with the best equipment and baristas.

I would love to learn a few tricks from you in person.
I will e-mail you.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to improve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250467061996)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+