Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 9:08am
Subject: Re: My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)

Now a PID in your future :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Nurk2
Nurk2
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 6:46am

I know I sound like a naive n00b in saying this, but unlike so much of what I'm reading on CG and HB, I'm actually PLEASED with my shots! I'm trying all kinds of different coffees from different roasters. I practically rush home from work everyday to get my shot!

I pulled a shot of Metropolis Redline a couple days ago that was just awesome. Sweet from beginning to end. Great mouth feel. Stuck with me for the better part of an hour. Definitely better than the best espresso shop in Syracuse, which I've a hit a couple times for comparison.

But even my daily shots, which are not "perfect," are timing out great, look great, and taste good. My better half is loving my lattes, and when mama's happy, everybody's happy, n'est ce pas?

I might change my tagline to "If it tastes good, it is good."

The OPV adjustment definitely helped. I do temp surf, and I'm happy (happy!) with the results. I have enough to obsess over  - probably not going to make it to the PID!

....but again, I'm a newbie, so who knows what I'm saying.

8^D

Thanks again guys!

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:16am

The value of the pid is to replace temperature surfing and give you a steady steam pressure (think fancy latte art, ha).

I cant say a PID has supremely improved quality but it cut down my espresso routine from like 5 minutes of prep to about 1 minute. The biggest decrease for me was changing from a mdf to vario (ten minutes to 5 minutes) as I just had to sweep out the doser and chute after every use ha. That last thing is more of a personal problem though.

But yeah, our motto is if it tastes great, don't change it. You need to find a good local roaster (do the ole trick of comparing your shots to theirs). If yours taste as good or better, then no reason to fickle around. I find that the shops that don't roast their own beans, don't usually pull good shots. Fortunately, I live in chicago so i've had the priviledge or having redline prepared at the source, ha.
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 12:04pm

Hey Brian - It took me years to finally pull the trigger on a "real" espresso machine. And over the last couple of weeks of reading this and a few other internet espresso boards, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that I'm just not fussy enough to hang. Seriously. I bang the MDF on the counter (gently!) a couple times until I don't get anymore stuff coming out, then I proceed with the next dose.

That might be enough right there to get my membership revoked!
8^D

There are two local roasters in Syracuse. One appears to be doing almost exclusively full city+, which might be too much for me. He's pulled a couple for me, and so far I don't get a lot of flavor out of them until I'm nearly to the last sip. The other, by reputation, might be less interested in espresso roasting then just roasting/brewing a good cuppa joe. I haven't tried him yet.

But I have tried the Redline and liked it. Next up is Red Bird, and then Intelligentsia Black Cat. And then... who knows? I'm really enjoying the journey.

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
gophishin

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 1:19pm

D4F Said:

Pressure comes set too high, to allow for the "perfect crema device" or pressurized PF.  The approximation is 3/4 turn, 270 degrees, counter clockwise.  I am not at home and have a couple articles on adjustment with and without a gauge.  Some adjust blind, some measure OPV return knowing flow at 9 bar, and others use a gauge.  I will try to send more this evening.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

If you can, will you please post any links/article to adjusting the OPV without a gauge?  I've searched around, but haven't found a common consensus and/or a confident set of instructions.  Many thanks!
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 1:46pm

gophishin Said:

If you can, will you please post any links/article to adjusting the OPV without a gauge?  I've searched around, but haven't found a common consensus and/or a confident set of instructions.  Many thanks!

Posted October 22, 2013 link

There's a good reason for that.
Without a gauge all you are doing is changing from one unknown pressure to another unknown pressure.
If you want to achieve a specific pressure so as to have stabilized at least one variable in the making of espresso, you need a gauge.

Surely you can reduce the pressure from whatever it is to something else, and that may improve your shots, I won't argue otherwise.  But most of us adjust so that we know that our machines are set to a specific and purportedly optimum pressure.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 1:52pm

The instructions are easy.  Ideally, you measure the pressure at the PF.  Here is a good thread and covers a lot, including a good look at "how to."

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

As to pump pressure and flow and then blind adjustment, here is a start.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

While there are different opinions on blind adjustment, there is fair consensus that the unadjusted pressure is too high.  I believe that the last post from Eric S on Oct 19, 2012 explains the OPV output method.  Blindly set the OPV and then measure output.  Set the OPV about 270 degrees counterclock wise and then measure output into a cup for 30 seconds, against a blind basket, and shoot for about 125 - 130 ml or about 260/minute.  I do not like to run the pump for more than about 30 seconds.  Remove the water tank and use two glasses, one for water in and the other for OPV return. The glass of water is your tank, so watch the level and do not run out.

My thought on the process is that unadjusted is perhaps 11.5 - 12 bar.  I have seen that a few times, but not sure.  If you get 8.5 - 10 you will probably be better than 11.5.  Best is to make the gauge and measure it.  Some just turn 270 back and use it, no OPV output check.  YMMV

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 2:11pm

D4F Said:

Best is to make the gauge and measure it.

Exactly :-))))))
jonr

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 4:12pm

I stuck a rubber hose on the steam wand and measured there while pulling a shot - it's quite easy this way.  Stock pressure was somewhat too high.  But since then, I've decided that there is no single pressure that is best and went to a computer controlled pump and flow profiling.
SJM

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 4:26pm

jonr Said:

I've decided that there is no single pressure that is best.

So, what are pressures do you use and what are your criteria for selecting them?
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311403036118)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+