Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
HX flush reference video to show process
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > HX flush...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 8:06am
Subject: HX flush reference video to show process

Good morning guys, (and gals as it applies :D) There is a lot of confusion of what does a flush look like, how much water do I use, when do I do it. I made a quick video of my brew this morning. Two quick videos, total of about two and a half minutes. First is the cooling flush after the machine was on for my hour warm up, then a quick flush before brewing a double shot. Simple and easy to see when the water stops flashing to steam and is ready to brew. If anyone wants to link to it for an example please feel free to do so

Wayne.

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shlegminitism

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mills Andreja
Grinder: baratza v. preciso, Pasquini...
Vac Pot: Electrolux
Drip: v60
Roaster: soon i hope
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 12:29pm
Subject: Re: HX flush reference video to show process

Convenient! I was just looking for that (among other things). Just purchased a quick mills andreja and i'm still working out the kinks (from me, not the machine).  That was one of the things i wasn't 100% on.  I'm still trying to dial in on the right grind, and learn to tell when to end the shot to prevent over extraction.  I have a pasquini moka 90 that i've got rigged up to be stepless.  Any idea how far from "0" (and by 0 i mean where the burrs first touch when adjusting the grind finer) the sweet spot is? I know all grinders have different settings, and different roasts/ages,etc might require a slightly different grind, but do you want the burrs just barely not touching?  How would you describe the feel of the grounds when ground to your preference? I've heard some say slightly gritty.  I guess its just trial and error. I just hate to waste this red bird i bought, but i guess i should view it as an investment into my future with espresso. Don't want to use crappy beans because then even if i was right on the money, the end product would still be crap.
Thanks for any advice you might could give me.
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 2:17pm

Well I am glad it was of use to someone the first day out :D

Grind, esp when first starting out and trying to get everything setup and deciding on what you want, you an go through a LOT of coffee. As you said, each grinder will move differently so it is really hard to say much about how far to move the grinder. When ground, the coffee should be more of a powder than ground coffee. It should stick together if you take a pinch between your fingers. For the grinder adjustment, don't worry about temps yet.

I find it easiest to rough things in by

1 decide on how much coffee you want to use for your shots, myself, I like 18g in a double basket (58mm)

2 decide on how much coffee you want to brew from the set volume of grounds. Myself, I like 2 floz WITH crema on top for a total of 2 floz. I then use a OXO measuring cup that goes to 6oz

3 take your best guess at the grind. The mark is 25 to 30 seconds. If it takes too long, grind more coarse, if it is too fast, grind more finely.

While tamping does play a part, it is among the least important part, just be consistent at someplace around 30 pounds of pressure. Use a bathroom scale if you need to while getting the feel. Consistent is much more important than crushing it. The goal is to even out the density of the grounds bed. Once it is compressed, it will not move much more so you are only giving your arms a workout when they don't need it if you really try to crush it. It won't make much of a difference in the shot, the grind and volume of coffee adjusts the flow and time, the tamp does not.
Make adjustments until the time works out. Then you are close, get your temps where you want them and adjust the grind and temps for taste. Only change ONE thing at a time so you can see how the shot is affected by the adjustment you made.

Often we advise to buy 5 pounds of coffee to start with. You can break it down into about 1 pound bags, remove the air and freeze but chances are you will use up a good amount getting things setup.

Enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 7:25pm

calblacksmith Said:

The mark is 25 to 30 seconds. If it takes too long, grind more coarse, if it is too fast, grind more coarse.

Posted October 22, 2013 link

Wow, just grind coarser to fix all issues. :P

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 4:02am

It's not right until it looks like gravel but that is a top secret so shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone :-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:32am

You should fix that so people reading will get it.

Coffeenoobie

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:42am

FINE!

That one word covers a few things huh? As in OK, FINE, I will do it and the grind needs to be more FINE.

and yes, it's done, ;P
Nice catch, sometimes the fingers can't catch up to the thoughts.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

shlegminitism

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mills Andreja
Grinder: baratza v. preciso, Pasquini...
Vac Pot: Electrolux
Drip: v60
Roaster: soon i hope
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 8:04am

Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually had some pretty good luck with it yesterday, and hopefully with that info, today will be even more productive. I feel like the grind's close.  I'll have to do the pinch test and time it.  I was hesitant with timing because i was afraid if i went by time alone, i might over extract it.  I was looking for the lighter color change with the crema, and tasting with a spoon to try and tell when it was done with.  

So the 25-30 seconds, that its the time to achieve the specific volume? As in the 2oz for 18g for a double? Would a single take half as long to make time?  Would you do 9g for a single and 1oz?

On tamping, it seems like a factor that could potentially also make or break a shot. If you have your groove with it, then it may be second nature, but i feel like it may be one of the things to work at perfecting  I read Tamping Science, Theory, and Practice by Mark Prince . It was nutty how much info was dedicated just to tamping! There was talk of a part 2 and 3, but it seems that discussion dropped off after the 1st. I also read that different techniques could arrive at similar results.  Supposedly a slightly coarser grind could be tamped more firmly to achieve similar results to a finer grind.  I'm sure the grind changes would be minuscule, as would how the change in tamping would feel to the tamper.  This seems like something that would be handy in practice if your working with some aging beans that need to be ground a little finer to get the most out of them.  I would think that the finer grind would also need to be tamped a bit lighter to avoid over-extraction.  I may be wrong on some of this. At this point, it's just mental flatulence since i lack the experience of having had the opportunities to have put it into practice.  It is exciting though.  All these little details that have to be taken into consideration makes it seem that much more rewarding.  Thanks again for your help,
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:14pm

:D
Ok, your welcome.
You are dialing in a grinder, you are not going to drink the test pulls, go for volume/time with a set volume of coffee. Adjust the grind to get the time and volume, don't worry about the blonding gushing or whatevering, get the time and volume with a set volume of coffee, this is the fastest way to get the grinder close.

A single takes the same amount of time 25 to 30 seconds but with half the coffee in a smaller/single basket.

Yes a little, very little adjustment can be gotten from the tamp but not enough to adjust for a little out of range grind.

Basic steps first. Set volume of coffee, set volume of espresso, in 25 to 30 seconds with a set tamp. Once you master the above THEN you start with the subtle differences of a little more coffee, a slightly different grind etc. You need to learn to walk before you can run that marathon.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:46am

Can I add the video to the beginner barista advice in my sticky?  I also think we should sticky the espresso shrine thread.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > HX flush...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283023118973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+