Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:31am
Subject: Re: My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)

Nurk2 Said:

Hey Brian - It took me years to finally pull the trigger on a "real" espresso machine. And over the last couple of weeks of reading this and a few other internet espresso boards, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that I'm just not fussy enough to hang. Seriously. I bang the MDF on the counter (gently!) a couple times until I don't get anymore stuff coming out, then I proceed with the next dose.

That might be enough right there to get my membership revoked!
8^D

There are two local roasters in Syracuse. One appears to be doing almost exclusively full city+, which might be too much for me. He's pulled a couple for me, and so far I don't get a lot of flavor out of them until I'm nearly to the last sip. The other, by reputation, might be less interested in espresso roasting then just roasting/brewing a good cuppa joe. I haven't tried him yet.

But I have tried the Redline and liked it. Next up is Red Bird, and then Intelligentsia Black Cat. And then... who knows? I'm really enjoying the journey.

Posted October 22, 2013 link

Did I mention my old MDF has chips and scratches all over it ? ;) Based on what you said, you probably want to skip the red bird, as it's roasted full city+. If you want the best...you need to get a bag of Bow Truss and Barismo (chicago and boston respectively). My favorites with them are the 'brighter' coffees in espresso (last time I had a Single Origin from RWANDA, which even my fussy espresso hating girlfriend loved [She is still a good sport and will taste any that I hold in front of her and she loves cortados and macchiatos]). With those two, i finally found roasters that make me realize I have a lot more to learn.
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:35am

gophishin Said:

If you can, will you please post any links/article to adjusting the OPV without a gauge?  I've searched around, but haven't found a common consensus and/or a confident set of instructions.  Many thanks!

Why? It literally cost like 8 bucks using the amazon links that I posted. You can probably take those specs and spend five bucks at home depot.

There is no consensus because it varies. I had to turn mine like 720 degrees to get to 10 bars static. I have a pretty old gaggia classic though. (pre 2007).
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:36am

I totally would try all the ones people are recommending.  It is worth the taste just to say you did unless money is tight.  Also, I am a huge Redbird and blue jag blend fan.  Ristretto roasters in portland get their house blend to taste like butter.  I hear there is one with super blueberry taste.  Go for it life is too short not to try it all.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:39am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I totally would try all the ones people are recommending.  It is worth the taste just to say you did unless money is tight.  Also, I am a huge Redbird and blue jag blend fan.  Ristretto roasters in portland get their house blend to taste like butter.  I hear there is one with super blueberry taste.  Go for it life is too short not to try it all.

Posted October 23, 2013 link

Funny you should mention blueberry. That RWANDA one I mentioned was super winey and fruity and blueberry was my girlfriend's first words after drinking it.

Of course blueberry is a side effect of updosing certain roasts using about 19g in a double (can even get it with redline).
gophishin

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 7:30am

brianl Said:

Why? It literally cost like 8 bucks using the amazon links that I posted. You can probably take those specs and spend five bucks at home depot.

There is no consensus because it varies. I had to turn mine like 720 degrees to get to 10 bars static. I have a pretty old gaggia classic though. (pre 2007).

You guys are certainly right, I guess I was trying to think too ideally - that I might be able to get by without it.  I say that because, I have heard the portafilter can get beat up pretty bad removing the spouts (I don't yet have a second PF), although I'm sure there are ways to be careful.  From what I have read, there also seems to be a pretty consistent response that out of the box, the newer classics are around 12 bar, leading me to believe that a general range of adjustment would be consistent across those machines.  Exactly 9.5-10 bar, probably not, but better/lower than where it's at? maybe.  As with all things espresso, there really aren't any shortcuts, and I'll go about getting a gauge and doing it properly.  Thanks for the links.
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 8:11am

gophishin Said:

If you can, will you please post any links/article to adjusting the OPV without a gauge?  I've searched around, but haven't found a common consensus and/or a confident set of instructions.  Many thanks!

It's easy to get to the little nut that you use to adjust it, so taking it apart and making minor adjustments is not a big deal. It will cost you a little coffee, though.

The recommended adjustment is to turn the nut 270-degrees (3/4's of a turn) counter-clockwise. Ultimately, that is where I ended up, though I did it over three adjustments of a 1/4 turn each. Adjust. Try. Adjust. Try.

Of course, the obvious downfall of doing this without a pressure gauge is, you're starting at an unknown pressure, and ending at an unknown pressure - so there you go. YMMV.

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 8:17am

brianl Said:

Did I mention my old MDF has chips and scratches all over it ? ;) Based on what you said, you probably want to skip the red bird, as it's roasted full city+. If you want the best...you need to get a bag of Bow Truss and Barismo (chicago and boston respectively). My favorites with them are the 'brighter' coffees in espresso (last time I had a Single Origin from RWANDA, which even my fussy espresso hating girlfriend loved [She is still a good sport and will taste any that I hold in front of her and she loves cortados and macchiatos]). With those two, i finally found roasters that make me realize I have a lot more to learn.

Beat on that MDF. Show it who's the boss!

Too late. The Red Bird is on it's way!!! I loved the Redline. I think I'm going to like the Red Bird, too, and now I'm really curious to see how it compares to my local roaster-dude. Coffeenoobie, I looked at the Blue Jag a long time before deciding "...maybe next time."

I appreciate ALL the suggestions. I've gotten quite a list just from this thread alone - Blue Jag is on it.

It's truly a case of so much espresso, so little time...

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
brianl

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 9:56am

gophishin Said:

You guys are certainly right, I guess I was trying to think too ideally - that I might be able to get by without it.  I say that because, I have heard the portafilter can get beat up pretty bad removing the spouts (I don't yet have a second PF), although I'm sure there are ways to be careful.  From what I have read, there also seems to be a pretty consistent response that out of the box, the newer classics are around 12 bar, leading me to believe that a general range of adjustment would be consistent across those machines.  Exactly 9.5-10 bar, probably not, but better/lower than where it's at? maybe.  As with all things espresso, there really aren't any shortcuts, and I'll go about getting a gauge and doing it properly.  Thanks for the links.

The spouts are easy to get off if you use an allen wrench. Just don't use pliers or a wrench as that will scratch it and stuff.
brianl

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 9:57am

Nurk2 Said:

Beat on that MDF. Show it who's the boss!

Too late. The Red Bird is on it's way!!! I loved the Redline. I think I'm going to like the Red Bird, too, and now I'm really curious to see how it compares to my local roaster-dude. Coffeenoobie, I looked at the Blue Jag a long time before deciding "...maybe next time."

I appreciate ALL the suggestions. I've gotten quite a list just from this thread alone - Blue Jag is on it.

It's truly a case of so much espresso, so little time...

The redbird is cheap enough that it is hard to pass up. Just don't updose the red bird, I have never had good results doing that, ha. Then again you should experiment with everything. I have three baskets of varying sizes that I switch out with a new blend.
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:26am

gophishin Said:

I have heard the portafilter can get beat up pretty bad removing the spouts (I don't yet have a second PF)

The spouts on mine were a bear to get off.  Eventually I put the spout into a vice and then used the handle to get enough torque.  Just be careful and put a towel or some of that sticky stuff that you use to line drawers or put under slippy rugs to keep the portafilter itself shiny.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379879951477)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+