Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Stomach issues with coffee?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Stomach issues...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
atytse

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 12:39am
Subject: Stomach issues with coffee?

Hey guys, I used to not drink coffee at all and now that I have discovered good coffee, I'd like to drink a cup a day. Since I've been doing that, I have however noticed more stomach issues like occasional gassiness and more bowel movements.

Since you guys have been drinking coffee for a while now, does any of you have personal experiences with stomach issues as well?  I guess might have to limit myself from drinking too much afterall.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 4:38am
Subject: Re: Stomach issues with coffee?

What are you drinking and how much? Some people can be very sensitive to caffeine and the acids in coffee. I have a friend that if he has 1 cup he'll be in the bathroom for the next hour lol. Same token, if the coffee isn't brewed right (temp, extraction etc) than that can exacerbate those issues.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 6:37am

I love espresso when it's done right, but give me an off espresso, especially too bitter, and my stomach will erupt in displeasure!  For the whole day I'll be tasting the after effects of one bad espresso, and it throws off my palate for everything else.  Taking acid reflux medicine doesn't help me at all either.  Hiding a bitter extraction in a cappuccino doesn't make things any better - my stomach knows.

On the other hand my wife sometimes likes a bitter espresso with her sweet, tall latte.  It doesn't bother her, but just licking the tasting spoon is enough to cause my stomach a couple hours of discomfort and bile flavor in the mouth.  Very unpleasant.

So I have to make my own espresso to my own needs generally.  Good cafes can make an espresso that doesn't bother me, but the rest are like a mine field to my stomach.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 6:47am

I can relate.  If grounds are bad then it reaps havoc on my body.  I've noticed also if coffee is over extracted it causes stomach discomfort, gas and acid reflux. Properly brewed fresh coffee doesn't so a thing to me unless I exceed 2 per day.  I usually only drink 1, 10 oz Americano these days.  Keep in mind that coffee is a diuretic.  Robusta's are even worse in that dpt.  I've found that if I drink water with coffee it helps, helps with distinctiveness and stops it from staining my teeth. :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 2:22pm

It is likely a more common problem that most may think.

I can go days or weeks drinking espresso any time day or night then sometimes all I can handle is a Latte in the morning and if I have any coffee after that for the remainder of the day, I get acid reflux. I pretty much stay with the same beans and blends and have not seen any connection to one bean blend or another.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 3:50pm

atytse Said:

Hey guys, I used to not drink coffee at all and now that I have discovered good coffee, I'd like to drink a cup a day. Since I've been doing that, I have however noticed more stomach issues like occasional gassiness and more bowel movements.

Since you guys have been drinking coffee for a while now, does any of you have personal experiences with stomach issues as well?  I guess might have to limit myself from drinking too much afterall.

Posted November 13, 2013 link

Coffee (actually caffeine) has known laxative properties.  Even the smell of fresh coffee in the morning will do it for some experienced caffeinated coffee drinkers (Pavlov's Dog syndrome).  Seriously.  A search on Google will provide numerous references.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 4:16pm

I must be lucky, coffee has no effect on me whether caffeine or stomach acid issues etc. However I do know others that are super sensitive to coffee (stuck in the bathroom after 1 cup, irritated stomach/acid reflux etc).
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 5:14am

Coffee may cause gas and stomach upset but not to all people. It is because we have uncommon digestive stress resulting from coffee consumption. However, we should not generalize this and link the cause to coffee consumption at all.  It might be true that you are sensitive to coffee but try to check your coffee preparation. Too much extraction may cause stomach trouble or the selection of beans can cause also the upset. Just try decreasing your coffee intake and if still your stomach does not improve, consult a physician to evaluate your stomach problem.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
john01bohan

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 6:12pm

The potential negative effects of coffee may come out depending on your coffee consumption.
By the way, Im, Johnny Bohan and I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you all! :)

Click Here (www.baseball-reference.com)
LisaBean

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 8:45pm

Yes, I have.  My fix for this is to make sure I have some food in my stomach first and that fixes any indigestion I may have experienced on an empty stomach.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Stomach issues...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279596090317)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+