Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
pressure profiling (sort of)..... now I get it
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nygel74

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:10am
Subject: pressure profiling (sort of)..... now I get it

well, I just picked up a newer pump and bypass assembly for my beloved bz99 and since today has been declared a 'Mental Health day":) no better time to tinker with it.  long story short, after getting the pump in and realizing that my brew head pressure gauge has given up the ghost, I was just having some fun pulling some shots and playing with variables.  The pump I picked up from a fellow cg'er had a large bypass with the valve adjustment on the bottom, and because of space requirements, that adjustment nut had to be mounted facing the back of the machine.  The last couple shots I pulled I was playing with the adjustment during the shot....lessening the pressure at the beginning, ramping up towards the middle, and a slow ramp down towards the end.  I get it now.  Pressure profiling opens up so many more flavors and almost a whole other dimension to pulling an espresso shot.  Rather then the grind tamp pull, I felt like I was manipulating the espresso all the way to the cup.  I get it, and now I want more of it :P  Just thought I would share my lightbulb moment!!!

....nygel74
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:39am
Subject: Re: pressure profiling (sort of)..... now I get it

Let phase two begin! .... or is that phase 3 ??? LOL!
Congrats on the "discovery", it will be some time before I get a machine that makes it easy to profile, I just cant afford it but I sure would like to play with it!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nygel74

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:31pm

I hear ya.  Even though this was totally a fluke, I kind of got a glimpse of what its really all about.  I can't profile on this machine, and settles on a pressure, set it, and re assembled it, but the bug is definitely there.  Read a lot bout light dimmers and vibe pumps etc? I'm certainly interested.
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 10:09am

I've modified my vibratory pump machine to produce automated flow/pressure profiles and recommend it.  Especially since I haven't gotten very far on determining what profiles are best (ie, more people doing it would help).
nygel74

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 12:44pm

Got a vid or pics or the mod? Would be very interested in learning how u did it
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 3:33pm

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/638206

You can also add a variac to a vibe pump for manual control.  Might work well when combined with a pressure gauge (like a direct lever machine but less work).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328677892685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+