Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Confused! Coffee Expresso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Confused! Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
kieranbean

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:05am
Subject: Confused! Coffee Expresso

I purchased this coffee from my local store at Tescos.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274437559

Can I use this as an expresso? I'm unsure and really I don't want to be buying more coffee.

Please help,

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:17am
Subject: Re: Confused! Coffee Expresso

The description says it's ground for drip and cafetiere.  For espresso, you really want to buy whole beans so you adjust the grind as needed.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:33am

Ah OK, would it be OK for usage in a Moka Pot?

What will the effects be If I use it in an expresso machine?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:40am

definitely not for real eSpresso.  maybe, if you have a entry level machine with a pressurized portafilter and haven't developed a decent palate for good espresso, you can get away with it, but as Jim said, the stuff you linked to is ground for cafetiere (which is EU speak for french press).

1. cafetiere grind is much more coarse than espresso grind.
  2. preground coffee is stale, even if you bought it a block from your house and saw the guy grind it for you.
  3. you cannot make espresso with stale coffee or coffee that is ground too coarse
  4. as Jim said, to make espresso, you need to buy whole beans (hopefully, roasted within the past 2 weeks) and grind them yourself
        - when you grind beans yourself for espresso, you need to adjust the fineness to your machine, dose and basket to get the flow just right.
  5. I'd be shocked if you were able to find any beans that would perform well for espresso in a Tesco store

kieranbean Said:

Ah OK, would it be OK for usage in a Moka Pot?

Posted January 4, 2014 link

still probably too coarse, but you could get one package and give it a go.  However, I still think you're better off finding high quality fresh beans

kieranbean Said:

What will the effects be If I use it in an expresso machine?

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Black colored water will flow like there's no resistance at all and you'll essentially get a (dare I use the term) "shot" that is about 200ml in about 20 seconds, instead of the normal 50ml in 30 seconds.  The flavor will be horrible.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:43am

I see.

Might stupid fault. I opened the tin, reach really I could of took it back to tescos and swapped it. i'm now off to Asda to buy proper express coffee. I don't have a coffee bean machine.

But after reading threads like these its best and cheap. I shall do this next month.
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:45am

I will purchase Illy Espresso Ground Coffee which seems to be the correct one right?

and regards to the Cost Ground Coffee I will use this in my coffee filter so it doesn't waste.
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 12:54pm

OK went to the shops and purchased Illy Classic Roast Ground Coffee, says espresso on it. Seems to be the right one :)
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:14pm

Does anyone know why the Illy Espresso Ground Coffee says to keep in fridge after opened?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 2:11pm

The fridge is the worst place for coffee.  You can deep freeze it but fridge is not good unless you want the coffee to scent your fridge.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 2:14pm

Is this just for Moka? Espresso is just a way of making coffee (Moka isn't espresso), you can use any bean/blend you want for espresso provided it's whole bean and fresh roasted and ground right before use (some just call products Espresso whatever which is more a marketing thing), really goes for any coffee. Preground coffee will always have a nasty stale taste, Illy packs with nitrogen so the coffee can be "tolerable" for about a day, then it falls off a cliff and is nasty. Coffee starts going stale about 15min after grinding, similar to how you can cut up an Apple in a bunch of slices and it will quickly brown and start going bad after a bit.

When you say you have no coffee bean machine, do you mean a coffee grinder?

And I would never stick coffee in the fridge that's the worst place like mentioned above. I freeze fresh roasted beans in batches in ball caning jars and then take out and defrost a jar as needed.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Confused! Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268080949783)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+